Transformation of Khadon + etheral (and others) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer Fantasy rules queries here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

sir_m1ke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Transformation of Khadon + etheral (and others)

Hey all

so iv bn watching the varied discussions (read: whining sessions) over at warseer and hav become increasingly frustrated at some of the conclusions reached. I stil dont post there due to the whiny bitchy replies you always get, so wanted to start a few threads over here and see what you all think. plus the warhammer section here is like the land of the dead here, there is a new edition people! get excited!!

so my first thoughts are on the very exciting and interesting spell from the Lore of Beasts "Transformation of Khadon". For anyone "not in the know" this spell transforms your wizard into a variety of different monsters, from a Manticore up to a Great Fire Dragon.

On warseer a discussion started about how this affects wizards with specific special rules, and whether they retain those effects when the spell is cast. Im a Lizzie player so ill use the Slann as an example. If my slann has Higher State of Consciousness (therefore can only be wounded by magical attacks) and transforms into a monster, is he still only affected by magical attacks??

The rulebook states "while transformed, the wizard cannot channel or cast spells, and all of his magical items and mundane equipment temporarily stop working"

At no point does it mention any special rules, and yet on warseer those "in the know" claim that all special rules and abilities are lost as well. the rulebook says this NOWHERE so a few points:

1) by my reading my slann-dragon can only be affected by magical attacks

2) he cannot cast spells, but he can stil dispel and so therefore i still benefit from my +4 to dispel

3) any other disciplines such as MR(3), Becalming Cogitation and the regeneration still apply to the model

4) the model is stil cold blooded and also my general, and as a monster gets a boost to his leadership bubble

ok heretics, have at ye! discuss/argue/flame away. i am by no means saying i am 100% correct but this is my interpretation of the rules i have in front of me and maybe, jus maybe, i have a chance at my awesome-general-ghost-froggie-dragon of doom!

A little bit annoyed to come back to HO and find I've lost close to 200 rep.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 07:11 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

RAW- you still maintain the special rules associated with your model pre-transformation. You cannot channel dispel dice, which rather implies you cannot dispel, but nothing actually says you cant.

There really isnt anything RAW wise to argue against special rules affecting the model... but I still wouldnt claim them, its just wrong. Very very wrong.
There are several things Ive come accross in the game which I think are just loop-holes, and I recon this is just one of them. You can use it if you want but thats not how I think or like to play... for example, changing Teclis into a greater fire dragon and then claiming ASF because he's still a HE is not really in the spirit of the game: the HE is gone, you are now a greater fire dragon, of course you dont have ASF.

In the end its down to what sort of player you are, how you want to be seen by other players, and how you see yourself... you can get away with using Kadon with special rules, but I only really know 1 gamer in the flesh who would actually try to pull it.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 07:16 PM
Alex's Flag is: United Kingdom

1) by my reading my slann-dragon can only be affected by magical attacks

Since they are chosen upgrades, I would expect that be ruled as an item or equipment as it's not a standard special rule for that unit type. So any attack can harm him. That's the disadvantage of turning into a monster, I suppose.

2) he cannot cast spells, but he can stil dispel and so therefore i still benefit from my +4 to dispel
This one seems fine to me, he's still allowed to dispel after all.

3) any other disciplines such as MR(3), Becalming Cogitation and the regeneration still apply to the model
Same as above, as the disciplines are upgrades, technically I'd expect them to stop working.

4) the model is stil cold blooded and also my general, and as a monster gets a boost to his leadership bubble

Yes, I'd say that you got both of these, as you still get that special rule and also, being a large target get that extended range.

Builder of the Lego Manta

40K Farsight Enclaves
WFB - Brettonians

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 07:35 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
There really isnt anything RAW wise to argue against special rules affecting the model....
The spell also says that the profile for the creature is listed in the Bestiary, so you replace your Special Rules with the Special Rules of the creature you have become in the same way that your Toughness is replaced.

...the HE is gone, you are now a greater fire dragon....[/QUOTE]

Whatever is technically correct, for me that is the best argument for not doing it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 07:40 PM

I agree with Alex on this. I play Lizardmen. It would be nice to keep those abilities, but really, how much fun will you (and other players) have running a Ethereal dragon across the field (except that first time). It would be WAY over powered too.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 10:16 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Let them keep all of their silly abilities. Laugh hysterically as you hit it with a Purple Sun of Xereus and it dies on a 2+ with no saves of any kind.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 10:54 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
The spell also says that the profile for the creature is listed in the Bestiary, so you replace your Special Rules with the Special Rules of the creature you have become in the same way that your Toughness is replaced.

...the HE is gone, you are now a greater fire dragon....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Whatever is technically correct, for me that is the best argument for not doing it.
RAW this seems to be most correct (and RAI) as the spell says that you turn into this beast and uses it's statline. Aka you replace your own statline and rules for those listed in the bestiary. Arguments for the opposite are not unreasonable but IMO bullshit one to pull.
Remember that it does nowhere state that you retain anything so there's not really anything to suggest you would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-10, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

sir_m1ke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hell i agree that its a bullshit one to pull (and will avoid doing it myself- although that is mainly because i dnt think Beasts is the best lore for lizzies) but i wanted to get other opinions on my suspicions. as i said, its mainly in response to the warseer threads where "those who dwell above in darkness" (anyone gets the reference gets rep :-) ) claim that you automatically lose all special rules when, using RaW, no such thing occurs

although in response to Alex, the disciplines SHOULD be kept as although they are "upgrades" they are not magical items or mundane equipment, which is the two items specifically mentioned to be lost when the "transmogrification" (yes, that is the word used in the BRB- fantastic!!) so disciplines are kept

TBH the slann is the only wizard i would bother attempting this wif, do it wif anything else and when it is dispelled (and its not TOO difficult to get rid of) then your poor lil wizard is standing in front o ur entire army

just as a side note i was wanting to start a thread about some o my thoughts on Lizzies in 8th since iv played a few games now, any1 b interested in that? i would like some discussion on it rather than me posting a huge big thread and no1 actually caring lol

A little bit annoyed to come back to HO and find I've lost close to 200 rep.....
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-10, 09:54 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_m1ke View Post
...the disciplines SHOULD be kept as although they are "upgrades" they are not magical items or mundane equipment, which is the two items specifically mentioned to be lost when the "transmogrification" (yes, that is the word used in the BRB- fantastic!!) so disciplines are kept.
In the general, an upgrade for a unit is both a rule (e.g. giving them a new/replacement piece of equipment or giving them a special rule) and a fluff description of why they have it (e.g. buying Mark of Khorne gives the unit Frenzy by making them a worshipper of Khorne) However none of the rules are affected by the reason (the effect of Khornate Frenzy is the same as Corsair Sea Serpent Frenzy despite on being imposed by a god and the other by a Banner).

I have not read the Army Book in depth so I might be incorrect, however the Slann Disciplines provide Special Rules and a fluff explanation, i.e. as the Discipline is part of the profile it is replaced.

The reference to items not carrying over is, as I see it, to confirm you cannot have a Fire Dragon with +2 Sword of Munch, not to allow anything that is not an item to carry over.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-10, 10:43 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah, the items not carrying ove is vital... otherwise I could end up with a greater dragon with a 2+/5++ .. which I think would be a little unfair
Not too sure DE can take beasts.. but if they can could you imagine kadon+pendent of kaleth?

I've used kadon on my spellweaver before- I just cast the lesser level and turned into a horned dragon. I wasnt really trying to become a dragon as such- just wanted to draw out power dice as dispel... but since the opponent kept not dispelling it I initially flew over and flamed him, then charged (though if I had rolled decently for my magic I would have dispelled it so I could cast spells... and then later on I had taken too many wounds to becoem a wizard again).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode