Dragon Mage of Caledor... in armor? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer Fantasy rules queries here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default Dragon Mage of Caledor... in armor?

So in the entry for the Dragon Mage, it says that he can purchase Dragon Armor. However, unlike Chaos Armor, there's nothing in the mage's entry or the entry for dragon armor that states that a mage can cast wearing the armor.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 07:14 PM

Sworn Radical's Flag is: Germany

Might wanna check p. 500 of the rulebook, the section on 'Magical Interference'.

Yes, the Dragon Mage can cast spells whilst wearing Dragon Armour (since it is listed in his specific entry), and is even allowed to purchase an (additional) item of magical armour from the magic items. I'd even recommend that ... a Charmed Shield goes a long way on a character riding a monster mount.

40k Armies: Dark Eldar / Adepta Sororitas
WHFB Armies: Vampire Counts / Empire / various Elves
Horus Heresy: Alpha Legion / Warp Cult
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 08:18 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

The rule that said armour means no magic is long gone. Magical Interference as a rule to stop mages wearing armour only exists for strigoi vampires... on 99% of the other mages they can't wear armour because they don't have the option to (for fluff this is because of magical interference but not in the rules).

Any mage given the option to buy mundane armour is allowed to use it and cast spells and can upgrade to any of the magical armours from his book and probably the BRB too. Mostly this only allows armour for WoC players but an accepted mistake also gives this access to butchers and slaughtermasters (though when the army book writer asks you not to use this its a bit gamy to do it)... the dragon mage joins the small list of mages that can wear armour and that's no bad thing: it was a bit silly having a T3 2W mage with a 6+ save sitting on a monster that has almost no option but to get into combat...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Sweet! Thanks guys. It's been a while since I've played Fantasy (mostly since the changes to the core rules made my Elves really horribly off), but seeing the new codex has me rethinking it. While I'm still not really a fan of the current Flaming Sword, this increases my options a bit, I think.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 08:54 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Flaming sword is evil now for HE: assuming the sun dragon is unchanged it turns the dragon into a killer but its also excellent at changing S3 elves into a unit that'll be wounding anything on a 5+ and most infantry on a 3+ or 4+... that's pretty huge.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 09:12 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Lore of Fire is one of the most powerful utility lores in the book. Sure it lacks the nukes and major debuffs of Death or Shadow, or buffs of Light or Life, but you get Battlefield control with Flame Cage, and Flaming Sword, Fireball can take out them pesky kids/fast cavalry/chargers, Flaming Sword increases the damage output of a Dragon against hordes.

The other spells are direct damage, but for the most part, Flame Cage, and Flaming Sword win the lore.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-13, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Hmm. Food for thought. Makes me think about running my Dragon mages again... actually threw out a rather silly army list earlier centered around one.

Thanks for the input guys. I'd rake recommendations on how to outfit a Dragon mage, but this isn't the forum for it.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-13, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Another question:

if I slap a Dragon Mage with the Armor of Caledor, does he get a 1+ save? RAW I suppose not, since 'by any means' would include the +1 for being mounted, right? That just seems a little weird.....

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 01:51 PM

Sworn Radical's Flag is: Germany

Yup, Armour of Caledor is 'stuck' at a 2+ save and the wearer would not benefit from another +1 from riding a mount.

Actually, Armour of Caledor is horribly overpriced for what it does (compared to other items) and is wasted on a Dragon Mage.
Run the Dragon Mage with Dragon Armour plus your choice of Enchanted Shield or Charmed Shield (depending on how many cannons there might be in your local meta). Maybe add a Dawnstone as well.

40k Armies: Dark Eldar / Adepta Sororitas
WHFB Armies: Vampire Counts / Empire / various Elves
Horus Heresy: Alpha Legion / Warp Cult
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworn Radical View Post
Yup, Armour of Caledor is 'stuck' at a 2+ save and the wearer would not benefit from another +1 from riding a mount.

Actually, Armour of Caledor is horribly overpriced for what it does (compared to other items) and is wasted on a Dragon Mage.
Run the Dragon Mage with Dragon Armour plus your choice of Enchanted Shield or Charmed Shield (depending on how many cannons there might be in your local meta). Maybe add a Dawnstone as well.
That's actually exactly the idea I was aiming for once I realized that, and my primary opponent will probably be Dwarves... so most likely Dragon Armor, Charmed Shield and Dawnstone. It's a pity the elves don't get the Silver Wand anymore.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode