New to Warhammer fantasy - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

Default New to Warhammer fantasy

Hello. I am a huge warhammer 40K fan but never got into the Fantasy universe. I was at Barnes n Noble today to pick up some new 40K books when I started looking at the fantasy novels. They all looked like a great read. One that epecially caught my eye was Nagash the Immortal because I am currently writing a novel (unrelated to warhammer) and it revolves around a Necromancer cult.

I want to get into Warhammer Fantasy but have no idea where to start! So could someone explain to me the basic outline of the Warhammer universe and sort of go in detail of each faction/race? I think it would be easy for me to jump into WH Fantasy if I had some kind of understanding on how things worked there. I know I had to have the 40K universe explained to me in great detail before I could understand what I was reading And I know that the 40K and fantasy universes are unrelated so its like I have to start all over and basically start with step 1.

Also if you have any good books I should read, let me know. The Nagash stories seemed interesting and so did Malus Darkblade. I have always liked Fantasy stories but have been leaning more towards Sci Fi since I am into 40K, but browsing through all of the fantasy stories there are a lot of good selections! Books like Forgotten realms, the Drizzit sereies, lotr books, and much more all seem to have great plots and the cover art is beautiful I just don't know where to start because in all of these stories they seem to be part of a much larger picture, one that I am unfamiliiar with so jumping right into the story would make me not see the grand concept of it.

So I just need a synopsis of the fantasy realm, any books you recomend, and any unrelated fantasy books that you think i should look into. I am writing a fantasy series myself that has a lot to do with gods, necromancers, and stuff like that so any books regarding mythologies would be up my alley (i actually just bought a collection of worldwide mythologies and religions today) Mythologies and gods always entertained me and I think I could write an entire story just making religions and mythologies-its just such a cool concept!

(and I know this is unrelated to warhammer but if you also know any good books about necromancers and stuff like evil cults, please let me know. I would like to get a better feel to how other authors portray them so I can better illustrate my own)

okay I know I may seem to be getting off my main point here so I appologize lol.

Thanks for your help!

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 05:23 PM

I'm just getting back into Warhammer from 40k.

Most of the armies are your general fantasy races:
Wood Elves, elves that live in trees and protect forests
High elves, blagh
Dwarves, well.....dwarves, lives in mountains and makes stuff

The empire, is based on the Holy Roman Empire, uses various Renaissance era weapons and glimpsing through their dex has a structure similar to IG, and some steampunk stuff.

Lizardmen, This was my army before I left warhammer, were created by the Old ones, to kill the races that were on, I forgot the name of the planet, and protect it from the forces of chaos.

Skaven, I think they are neat, use warp stones, stones made of warp energies, which cause madness, mutations, and all kinds of chaosy stuff, worship the horned rat, I'm a bit ignorant about that, they use swarm tactics and hit and run tactics along with some neat artillery.

Vampires/Necromancers, use undead beasts, a serious lack of artillery, i.e. none, Nagash was the 1st necromancer, created a potion of immortality that created vampires.

Tomb Kings, based on Ancient Egypt, their armies are made up of skeletons and stone/bone constructs.

Orks.... well take his slugga away and give him a bow and arrow.

Brettonia, Britain, knights, peasants, etc

Beastmen, imagine an army of chaos worshiping minotaurs and satyrs.

The world

Ok about all I know is there are 2 moons, one normal and one that was once a portal and made of warpstone.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

The Skaven are cool I like them and the concept of beastmen is neat. Tomb Kings imo are the equivalent of necrons lol

But if I wanted a chronilogical history of the fantasy universe where could i find that or could someone explain it to me? I know its a lot to ask its like someone saying can you explain the bible in detail?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androxine Vortex View Post
The Skaven are cool I like them and the concept of beastmen is neat. Tomb Kings imo are the equivalent of necrons lol

But if I wanted a chronilogical history of the fantasy universe where could i find that or could someone explain it to me? I know its a lot to ask its like someone saying can you explain the bible in detail?
Timeline, looks a little short imo.
http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Timeline#.To4SvrK3N2I
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-11, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the timeline link. I've been browsing (aimless and randomly) through the fantasy side of Lex but I still dont have the full "concept/grasp" of Wh fantasy. Now if i had to explain the lore of warhammer 40k i would tell them to go to lex and type in the imperium, the emperor, chaos, the warp, and then maybe all the races.

What specifics would you recomend I understand to well, understand WH Fantasy

Thanks!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-11, 09:09 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

This might not be quite what you are looking for byt 1d4chan have an extensive page that describes the Fantasy universe in a nutshell, give a brief intro into every army and a look at the most significant characters in Fantasy.

Hope it helps.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-11, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
This might not be quite what you are looking for byt 1d4chan have an extensive page that describes the Fantasy universe in a nutshell, give a brief intro into every army and a look at the most significant characters in Fantasy.

Hope it helps.
I'm reading it now and yes it does! I like how its funny too and not just serious XD
Thanks

And this quote made me laugh so hard!

"Some could argue it requires more tactical skill from the player; this is probably because it's not as widely discussed and not being played by 13-year-olds. Seriously, anyone out there who's getting tired of playing kids at 40k get yourself into Warhammer and you'll probably never have to play against one of those little snot-nosed Space Marine players ever again. If you are reading this and you are a snot-nosed 13 year old, go away and play with your faggoty Space Marines. Fantasy is for grown-ups. Come back when you can grow facial hair and own more than two painted models!"

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-11, 02:00 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Some could argue it requires more tactical skill from the player; this is probably because it's not as widely discussed and not being played by 13-year-olds. Seriously, anyone out there who's getting tired of playing kids at 40k get yourself into Warhammer and you'll probably never have to play against one of those little snot-nosed Space Marine players ever again. If you are reading this and you are a snot-nosed 13 year old, go away and play with your faggoty Space Marines. Fantasy is for grown-ups. Come back when you can grow facial hair and own more than two painted models!
I just nearly pissed myself laughing. Its not technically accurate, but as stereotypical observational jokes go, thats a good one.

Since you now have a couple of links for WFB info, I wont go into great detail, except to say that the WFB rule book probably has the most concentrated info you could find on all things fantasy.

Also, on the "other books" topic. Try any of the Drenai Saga by David Gemmel. Most of the series can be read as individual books, but they are better read in order. They have a theme that runs throughout about a group of spiritual monks who forgo their pacifist ways in order to help the "goodly" side defend themselves against, what can only be described as shamanistic ritual killers and beasts of unsavoury origins. They are immensely good reads.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-11, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecrepitDragon View Post
I just nearly pissed myself laughing. Its not technically accurate, but as stereotypical observational jokes go, thats a good one.

Since you now have a couple of links for WFB info, I wont go into great detail, except to say that the WFB rule book probably has the most concentrated info you could find on all things fantasy.

Also, on the "other books" topic. Try any of the Drenai Saga by David Gemmel. Most of the series can be read as individual books, but they are better read in order. They have a theme that runs throughout about a group of spiritual monks who forgo their pacifist ways in order to help the "goodly" side defend themselves against, what can only be described as shamanistic ritual killers and beasts of unsavoury origins. They are immensely good reads.
Ok I will look into it.

i was looking on Black Library website and under Warhammer Fantasy it has time of Legends. Whats the difference? Arent they the same thing? Not sure...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-11, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Ok I will look into it.

i was looking on Black Library website and under Warhammer Fantasy it has time of Legends. Whats the difference? Arent they the same thing? Not sure...
From what I understand it's from before the Empire/when sigmar was still kicking, i.e. it's to warhammer what the HH is to 40k.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode