Several questions about Skaven - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-11, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!

komanko's Flag is: Israel

Default Several questions about Skaven

Due to my recent obsession with Skaven I've been trying to gather bits and pieces of knowledge about them. Sadly, there is very little information I found, even laxicanum has nearly nothing about them. I have yet to try to Skaven Armybook though.

Anyway to the questions.

Firstly, Whats the age limit of Skaven, I have never seen or read anywhere that they have a stated age limit and as such I can assume that its from 1 year to a million. Unless they die that is.

Secondly, how one becomes a grey seer, was just to lazy to research that frankly. Technically it is said that those who are to become grey seers are born with small horns, right? If so, can an individual with horns decide not to be a grey seer?

Thirdly, this is the hardest and most complicated question of all. Can Skaven nevigate a ship in the ocean!? It happened only once, nay, twice but still, both of those times were pretty much a failiure. Soo, yes or no? Even better though, can Skaven sail a ship?

Thats it for now, might pop in with some other questions later. Anyway, I'll appreciate all the help I'll get.

I see in colors, can only smell in grey,
Blinded by light, I drown in dismay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-11, 05:10 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

A normal Skaven lifespan is about twenty years. However those that are rich and powerful can afford various means of prolonging their lives by centuries, perhaps indefinately. The current Council of Thirteen have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years.

Not to my knowledge. All Skaven born with horns are Grey Seers or at least are trained to be Grey Seers. Naturally all of them survive long enough to become one. I've never heard of a Skaven with horns that was a Grey Seer or an apprentice to one. Nor have I heard of a Skaven mutating and growing horns like that.

Yes. Take one look at the Dreadfleet game and you'll see that there are some Skaven ships out there. Also they do have slave ships that travel across a river that runs to the Skavenblight. However it's unlikely that they have a significant or fully organized naval force out there. Most likely their navy consists of slave ships and a few warships under the command of various clans and warlords.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-11, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatsuki13 View Post
A normal Skaven lifespan is about twenty years. However those that are rich and powerful can afford various means of prolonging their lives by centuries, perhaps indefinately. The current Council of Thirteen have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years.

Not to my knowledge. All Skaven born with horns are Grey Seers or at least are trained to be Grey Seers. Naturally all of them survive long enough to become one. I've never heard of a Skaven with horns that was a Grey Seer or an apprentice to one. Nor have I heard of a Skaven mutating and growing horns like that.

Yes. Take one look at the Dreadfleet game and you'll see that there are some Skaven ships out there. Also they do have slave ships that travel across a river that runs to the Skavenblight. However it's unlikely that they have a significant or fully organized naval force out there. Most likely their navy consists of slave ships and a few warships under the command of various clans and warlords.
Awesome thanks for the answers, it seems that you are the only one with knowledge about them here

About horn thing, so being trained as a grey seer is not a choice? Its a must do if you are born with horns? If so, can't one (a stupid skaven nonetheless) decide that he doesnt want to be a grey seer and simply do something else?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-11, 11:27 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

To my knowledge no horned Skaven has rejected such a thing. Chances are that if they did the Grey Seers would have them killed immediately for such stupidity or weakness.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-11, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!

You can't use such things to measure a Skaven. Skaven are beyond your so called "stupidity". They are far more superior, most of the time they get to the ranks of imbeciles, pea brained ass or a simple rubber duck intellect level, but they are certainly not stupid.

Anyway, thanks for the reply Have some rep XD

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-11, 04:17 AM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

All horned skaven are grey seers by birth, naturally inclined to commune with the horned rat. However, many don't make it. As with all skaven politics, many apprentices to a grey seer don't live very long. After all, he doesn't want to share his secrets with somone who could soon be his rival!

Skaven "can" sail, but are very poor sailors, especially since it's about as far from their natural enviroment as you can get.

I cannot recall ever reading anything stating their lifespans, and have read everything I have found about skaven, they often lead short brutal lives, killed by their packmates, spawning mates, random skaven, the intricacies of politics, etc. etc.

As mentioned powerful skaven I assume can find means to prolong their lives, or perhaps a skaven is simply very long lived, unless misfortune befalls him. Hard to say with chaos creatures.

Also, skaven have mutated and developed horns. Thinking specifically of Lurk Snitchtongue in the Gotrek and Felix novels. Exposed to warpstone and mutated extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-11, 09:39 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

With regards to the sailing, skaven have infiltrated the cliffs and caves from Tilea southwards and also have a port called Spineport (IIRC) from their they launch piratical raids up and down the coast (and probably even) Lustria, and the realms of the Elves.

Have a look online/GW website for Clan Scurvy (i think thats correct spelling)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-11, 11:36 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Also, skaven have mutated and developed horns. Thinking specifically of Lurk Snitchtongue in the Gotrek and Felix novels. Exposed to warpstone and mutated extensively.
Bear in mind that Bill King's grasp on the last War Against Chaos with magnus the pious is different to that of the existing background.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-11, 12:07 AM

NíckUK's Flag is: United Kingdom

Don't quote me on this but I think I read a few years back that if a skaven is born with grey fur they are taken away and raised as a greyseer? Not 100% sure on it though.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-11, 12:12 AM

IanC's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its horns now. If a Skaven baby has horns, it will be taken away and raised. Though there is a limit on the number of grey seers, so I'm not sure how the ones in training work...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode