Which Warhammer Army Has the Most Interesting Fluff? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Aeterna's Flag is: USA

Default Which Warhammer Army Has the Most Interesting Fluff?

The title speaks for itself. This is your opinion, not a collective "THIS IS THE BEST". I am trying to migrate from 40K to here because I like the fantasy setting better, and I'd like to start a Warhammer army fairly soon. I'd like to know more about the armies. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 01:30 AM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Short answer, all of them.

Long answer, every single race has own great fluff and what is the best or most interesting depends on the individual.

Personally there are few races in terms of fluff that I am particularly attached to, Tomb Kings, Lizardmen, Vampire Counts, Skaven and the discontinued but not entirely removed Chaos Dwarfs. Read the fluff of Big Red Book to get an idea of the fluff of the various races. After that, go to your local GW and thumb through the rulebooks of the races you're interested in. That should give you a clear idea of what race to pick.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 01:34 AM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

ultimately, what fluff speaks to you is which one will have the best fluff.

I, myself, am attached to the Dark Elves, the Warriors of Chaos, and either of the dwarves, (normal or chaos that is)

my WoC and dwarf love comes from my love of norse Mythology, and I love the dark elves more in a gameplay standard, models, and the like, as they play the way i want my armies to play, glass cannon.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 03:06 AM

Mundungu's Flag is: USA

I agree that much more than in 40k, each race has something to love in their fluff. I am partial to Lizardmen.

RIP CSM Jan/2012.
See you next codex
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 11:32 AM

Gromrir Silverblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

IMHO I thought Lizardmen fluff is a bit weak really as they don't involve themselves with other affairs, not as weak as Ogres though. HE fluff is a bit herp, DE fluff is sweet as all of their units have their own kind of back story about how they came about. I love Dwarf fluff as you can really get behind the little guys. Orc fluff is really funny. WOC is pretty sweet and VC fluff is good. AAAh! most of it's good apart from Lizardmen and Ogres who don't really do it anything.

It is said that the guttural sound of Dwarfs bellowing Grungni’s name is enough to make an Elf’s knees knock and a Goblin turn a sickly shade of yellow!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 11:55 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think that the empire, chaos and skaven fluff is awesome. Its rich, interesting and pretty darn cool. I don't collect chaos (well, daemons in 40k, with a few ventures into WFB) but they have some immense fluff that is weirder and cooler then most people would assume.
On the disappointing side the elves and dwarves fluff bores me... its worth a read but doesn't really inspire me. I love my WE but their fluff sucks too: move into wood.. its alive... enemy of my enemy = friend ... bit about Orion ... wars.

On the other hand there are ogres. They're like nothing anyone has ever heard of before, with a rich and interesting culture (eg- each is given a pet rhinox at birth which they lift over their head as they, and it, grows to show their strength... then when they come of age they roast it and have a BBQ )

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 12:19 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd have to say Tomb Kings myself.

They are one of the oldest civilisations (of which only the Dwarves, Elves, Lizardmen and Cathayan's are older), and were normal humans once. They were not raised to the dead out of some Necromancy like the Vampires, but simply through their bindings and worship to the Gods during their search for Immortality.

As said, they were normal humans, who had the typical worries of running a kingdom with rival cities plotting against the others. Their military was vast, ranging from the skilled warriors of Ka-Sabar, to the captured Lizardmen of Rasetra, the great Engineers of Lybaras, the Desert Horse of Bhagar, the Heavy Numasi Cavalry, the Slave Armies of Zandri, while the trade with Cathay has paved the way for "Dragon Men" Handgunners of Lahmia.

However, Nagash came. He destroyed the covenant of the gods. The Empire was irrevocably destroyed, and as the Nobles sought to gain power both militarily, and economically, one sought to learn to the teachings of Nagash; she ended up deposing her husband the king, created the Vampire after warping his "Elixir", creating an even worse monster than his Nagash's Immortals. She then killed her Cousin in ritual combat before the eventual destruction of Lahmia sent the different Vampire lords of Lahmia to the corners of the earth. There's even rumours of a Vampire holding the throne in Cathay.

With the reawakening of Settra, he has regathered his legions, and instead of just holding Nehekhara, they now make forays into the Old World. One of the most interesting I think for a long long while.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 01:07 PM

Mundungu's Flag is: USA

Gromrir, the Lizardmen actually affect a lot of races, and their meditation sees far more than other races see of them. They have moved dwarven mountains, repelled attacks from Skeaven and Deamons, and fought off human and dark elf raiders.

More than that, I love the idea of a race that was selected by the Old Ones to keep the world right, but is never 100% sure how to do it, and is always seeking out plaques for more bits of knowledge. Plus, the Lizardmen are good-guys who will fight other good guys if it is the Will of the Old Ones.

RIP CSM Jan/2012.
See you next codex
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Aeterna's Flag is: USA

I found the Tomb Kings interesting, but I also found the Lizardmen interesting as well. The problem I have with the Tomb Kings I've seen so many comparisons to them and the Necrons (My brother plays Necrons, so I loathe them). It seems like they're just the Warhammer counterpart to the Necrons, or vice versa.

The Lizardmen sound like a more brutal version of the Eldar, which I like. There's one army I scarcely hear of, though, and that's the Vampire Counts. Does anyone know the story behind them? Or can they give me a brief summary? The replies I've gotten have been helpful, and will influence my decision on which army to take up.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 01:54 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

For history on the Vampire Counts, the best you can do is try and locate a Liber Necris (excellent read) from somewhere, and the 2 (soon to be 3) Nagash Trilogy from the Time of Legends series from the Black Library.

Although primarily Nehekharan/Tomb Kings, the Nagash trilogy present the two sides of unliving. You'll also see that other than lots of shiny skeletons, there's not too much similar between the two .

In short

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Last edited by Vaz; 05-24-11 at 02:07 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode