Who would win a vampire lord or a tomb king ? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-11, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

brother william's Flag is: Australia

Default Who would win a vampire lord or a tomb king ?

been curious about this one for a while. Who do you think would win between a vampire lord or a tomb king? this is a one on one fight with nether receiving help.

"In the beginning there was Chaos,
And within this Chaos was Power,
Great Power without Form.
Yet within Chaos there was Motion,
And within Motion was Form,
And within this Motion were the Words,
Which shaped the Motion, and gave it Form.
And the Great Speakers were awakened,
And the Great Words were spoken,
And the Great Magick was wrought,
The Birth of the World.

And in the Image of the Great Speakers were we awakened,
And in the Image of the Great Words have we spoken,
And in the image of the Great Magick have we wrought our world.

As it is said, so shall it be done."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-11, 02:45 PM

Depends on the Vampire and Tomb king in question.

There's plenty of 'new' vampires since they warred against the Tomb kings back in the days of Nagash etc.

So Settra for example, would flatten a 'young' vampire. But would probably get his rear end handed to him by someone like Abhorash (cus well, he kills dragons as a hobby).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-11, 05:27 PM

It depends on what kind of vampire really as Vampires differ in strength depending on the three following things: Age, Generation and Blood Line.

A Second Generation(turned by Abhorash, father of blood dragon line) Blood dragon with 1000 years under his belt would stomp most tomb kings/princes into the ground. However a fight between Settra and Abhorash would be a very interesting fight.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-11, 09:36 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

It's kind of an open ended question really. Most of the Tomb Kings were warrior-kings in life, expanding their realms through conquest and defending it from their neighbors. Undeath has not diminished that and has actually fortified their physical strength and ability. And many of them have been around a lot longer than most Vampires, both in life and undeath. The natural lifespans of the Priest Kings of Nehekhara were a lot longer than other mortal kings due to the efforts of the Mortuary Cult. Settra for example unified Nehekhara in -2,500 IC but died in -2,350 IC. Then they rose again in -1151 IC. While all of the Tomb Kings spend periods of slumber within their tombs since that first awakening (save for Settra himself who slumbers only briefly when his body has been severely damaged in battle) but largely they have been active for much of that time since. So actually I would get the Tomb King the advantage when it comes to battle experience and marital prowess, unless in the situations with the eldest of vampire, especially of the Blood Dragons and those that favor marital combat.

However the Vampires are a lot more diverse than their former kin, with some as mighty warriors, others as powerful wizards, savage beasts, and etc. There are plenty of vampires that can't match the experience and might of a Tomb King but possess other abilities and talents that the Nehekharan Lords lack such as magical ability.

Ultimately it would boil down to circumstance and luck. Settra and Abhorash could battle one another a thousand times resulting in a thousand different outcomes. Some with Settra victorious, with Abhorash victorious and some ending in a draw.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-11, 02:11 AM

In one of the Bruenner stories there's a fight between a Tomb Lord and an older, original Lahmian vampire. It was essentially a stomp in favor of the Tomb Lord for most of it, who was able to dominate it magically and physically. However, he wasn't invincible and the vampire wasn't very martially inclined, I think it was one of the seductive/sexy bloodlines, and a vampire who was more combat focused or magically dominate could pull it off. In short, between a powerful, elder vampire could fight a tomb king to a draw, while younger vampires would be fodder.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-11, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think it would ultimately come down to things such as what magic items and other tricks that both posses. The only exception to this being young/ non-combat vampires. These would quickly become just another pile of dust in the tombs

The Birth of the World.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-11, 09:42 PM

I'm afraid Abhorash would win hands down. He is the 'Combat god' of the VCs and his bloodline is said to equal if not better Chaos Champions of Khorne.

So in a one on one fight, Settra would get his arse handed to him.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-11, 12:47 AM

Not necessarily. Remember Settra forged the first true human empire by conquering the ever warring city-states of Nehekhara then for one hundred fifty years after that he led the legions against Lizardmen to the south, the savage men of the north that would forge the Empire over two thousand years later, hordes of greenskins and whatever else dared to invade Nehekhara or stand in the way of his further conquests. Then after the Awakening in -1151 IC, Settra basically reconquered Nehekhara from all the awakened kings and has been active ever since. He's been alive through undeath for around three thousand seven hundred years! Admittedly his estimated combined life and undeath would actually be a little less than the founder of the Blood Dragons, we know Settra has been active, battling countless enemies. What Abhorash had been doing since he slew the dragon is unknown. The common theory is that he's waiting in tower on that mountain waiting for something. Some say he's waiting for his disciples to finally achieve his status, others suggest that the endless passing of time has made him weary of battle and now he's waiting for the Apocalypse and the Final War, the only battle he believes is worthy of him. Others have suggested that he endlessly wanders the world, testing his blade against countless warriors.

And also I should point out that while the first Vampires are immensely powerful, they are not supremely powerful undead beings. Five of the twelve died in the fall of Lahmia, Ushoran was slain by orcs, Necrarch founder was consumed by his own apprentice and Vashanesh became Vlad von Carstein and died by betrayal and human hands. Claiming Abhorash is a 'God of Combat' is a bit of an overstatement. He is one of the greatest warriors to have ever existed within the Warhammer world but so is Settra. And he possess one thing Abhorash does not, a degree of magical power. In any battle between the two that is a factor that must be added.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-11, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Magically speaking how powerful is Settra? i have never read anything concrete about his magical ability. That said i have only just started to become familiar with Tomb King fluff.

If Abhorash and Settra duked it out and Abhorash did not have any defense then i think it would be fair to say that Settra's magical ability would lend him quite an edge. Also according to the old army Tomb King army book Settra carry's a magic blade, a magic set of armor and a magic crown ( I'm not sure if we are allowed to directly quote games workshop items and material so i will play it safe and leave them unnamed). Does any one know what kind of gear Abohorash has ?

Also Akatsuki has a point, Settra has a massive amount of experince under his belt.

The Birth of the World.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-11, 03:33 AM

Hard to say exactly. He did found the Mortuary Cult which are now the Liches of the Tomb Kings and knows some of their secrets. In the old rules he was both General and Hierophant with all four TK spells, making up for the fact that no army with Settra could take Liches. Now he's a Level 1 Wizard with the Lore of Nehekhara and may be the Hierophant and no longer restricts Liches. So he is skilled in the Nehekharan magic but not as powerful as those who specialize in magic.

As to his magic items, he has four. The Chariot of the Gods, blessed by all the God and Goddess of Nehekhara giving its Impact Hits magic attacks with Flaming Attacks special rule. Of course in a fair one on one duel, he wouldn't be riding it. Then there is the Crown of Nehekhara, the Scarab Brooch of Usirian and the Blessed Blade of Ptra. In game terms, the Crown allows any unit within 6" of him to be affected by his My Will Be Done special rule. The Brooch gives him a 4+ Ward Save and Magic Resistence (1). The blade gives him magic Flaming Attacks, Armor Saves cannot be taken against his weapon and any character suffering an unsaved wound receives -1 for all To Hit rolls (both shooting and melee) for the rest of the rest of the game.

As for Abhorash, we don't know what he has. Though given that he was Captain of Lahmia's Guard, he would have been equipped with the finest weapons and armor short of what was wielded by the rulers of Lahmia. At the same time he doesn't strike me as the kind to collect equipment from those he defeated. So he probably would only have whatever he carried out of Lahmia.

Akatsuki13's Daemon Den

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode