Bretonnia vs Empire - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

View Poll Results: Who wins in a 1 vs 1 battle? The Empire or Bretonnia?
Bretonnia 25 27.47%
The Empire 66 72.53%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 09:54 AM

.Kevin.'s Flag is: Spain

I'd like to say Bretonnia in the game especially but fluff wise too much guns from the Empire.

The name says alot an EMPIRE vs Bretonnia being more of a region

---
Blood Angels+Flesh Tearers Allied - ???? pts
W- 5| D - 1| L - 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromrir Silverblade View Post
When I say "War Machine" I don't mean in the GW literal sense of a war machine, I mean in the historical sense of "a way of making war". You've just agreed with me entirely, Brets have Trebuchets which are about as accurate as pissing in the wind and the Empire have artillery specifically designed to kill the type of units that the Brets field. So in order to get close enough to kill that artillery the Brets are going to have to weather the storm.
Trebuchets where actually incredibly accurate war machines, just took a while to fire so more useful against static structures. The Brets would weather the storm, but seeings how they can just will cannonballs not to hit them that's pretty sweet. They also have loads of flying horses just for this task.

The resolution of this is nothing to do with forces in the field. According to the fluff, man for man the Brets are the better Army. It's weather or not Karl Franz can rally all the Elector Counts to his banner quickly enough. The Empire is bigger and can throw more bodies at the problem, using superior numbers combined with technology to win. The problem is the Elector Counts are notoriously fickle in the fiction. It's the lack of Unity of the Empire which is their undoing in the fiction.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-11, 02:27 AM

I'm giving it to the Empire.

Bretonnia's knights are much better than their Imperial counter parts, but the rest of their army is badly lacking. Their infantry are pure shit, badly armed, badly trained and are only led by whatever knight happens to have a lame horse on the day of the battle. In terms of fire rate and power their siege engines are inferior to the Empire and would be much harder to aim in a battle. Given the reaction the Bretonnians had to the Chaos hell cannons in Knight of the Realm they really have no idea of what gun powder weapons do to castles

When it comes to a long war, Bretonnia is at a major disadvantage. The number of Knights is very limited and their fighting style of charging infantry, and this time it will be well drilled, pole arm and gun wielding infantry means they'll take major casualties. There are fewer Bretonnian peasants to begin with in comparison to the Empire, not counting the fact that roughly half of the Bretonnian peasant population is too retarded/deformed/ to even use weapons as a result of inbreeding.

If the Empire can bludgeon its way through the passes that act as choke points then there's no reason they can't utterly flatten

Last edited by Gaius Marius; 05-21-11 at 02:32 AM.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-22-11, 03:33 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ive gone for the empire as I think the empire has too many shiney toys for the bretonnians to cope with.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-22-11, 05:39 PM

docgeo's Flag is: USA

I am not sure but a charge of Bretonnian knights is something to behold!!!

Doc

Link to my Artic UltraMarines Project:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=89554
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius Marius View Post
I'm giving it to the Empire.

Bretonnia's knights are much better than their Imperial counter parts, but the rest of their army is badly lacking. Their infantry are pure shit, badly armed, badly trained and are only led by whatever knight happens to have a lame horse on the day of the battle. In terms of fire rate and power their siege engines are inferior to the Empire and would be much harder to aim in a battle. Given the reaction the Bretonnians had to the Chaos hell cannons in Knight of the Realm they really have no idea of what gun powder weapons do to castles

When it comes to a long war, Bretonnia is at a major disadvantage. The number of Knights is very limited and their fighting style of charging infantry, and this time it will be well drilled, pole arm and gun wielding infantry means they'll take major casualties. There are fewer Bretonnian peasants to begin with in comparison to the Empire, not counting the fact that roughly half of the Bretonnian peasant population is too retarded/deformed/ to even use weapons as a result of inbreeding.

If the Empire can bludgeon its way through the passes that act as choke points then there's no reason they can't utterly flatten
I've got to side with the Empire on this one, though I do love my Bretts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post

I would also like to thank all those crazy gamers with too much money to spend that buy hundreds of the same marine models, paint them different colours and pretend they are different armies. You are the heroes upon whose backs the future of GW sales is assured. :D
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-11, 10:46 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

I vote for a stalemate with the carrion eaters as the only victors
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-22-11, 06:38 PM

ChaosDefilerofUlthuan's Flag is: United Kingdom

I voted empire for war machines & bulk alone.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger,
(Unless it blows off both your legs)

See my Purge Army plz
Burn the Herestic Burner
Kill the Mutant Killer
Purge the Unclean Purger
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-11, 05:29 PM
To The Dark Tower Came

The Gunslinger's Flag is: United Kingdom

Some one may have said this but after getting half way down page two....
Lets have a big tournement going on! everyone pit their brets against someone's empire and post up the results

Check out my Project Log: Forbidden Colours!
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-30-11, 06:27 PM

Abomination's Flag is: United Kingdom

In a straight one on one confrontation I gotta go with The Empire. They have the artillery that Bretonnia lack, they can call upon more resources and they have Karl Franz, perhaps the greatest leader of men the Old World has ever seen. They would probably overwhelm Bretonnia eventually (although the victory may be pyrrhic). It would be one hell of a fight though. Then afterwards my minions of the Dark Gods can come in, rip what's left of the both of you to pieces and use the remains of your people in disrespectful marionette shows.

Last edited by Abomination; 08-30-11 at 06:29 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode