What's the best warrior/melee fighter type in Warhammer - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-09, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Default What's the best warrior/melee fighter type in Warhammer

I'm going either with war dancer or vampire knight

what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-09, 12:15 AM
Ascendant Valor's Flag is: USA

Blood Knights are great because they can be "healed," but their Frenzy can be a serious Achilles Heel to them. They are incredibly strong, though, with plenty of attacks. I'll probably have to agree with you here, MtM, if only with respect to Cavalry.

For infantry, I'll have to say Sword Masters of Hoeth. There are plenty of things that can crumple them (shooting, some magic, etc, all of which seem to be out of the scope of the question at hand), but just considering the Sword Masters themselves, they're renowned for obliterating entire units at a time with a minimum number of models.

War Dancers are great, yes, but I like the stability and capability of the Sword Masters just slightly more. Sword Masters' focus overrides the adaptability of the War Dancers. However, I am considering the High Elven army as a whole, too. If I wanted a durable infantry unit, I'd go with Phoenix Guard. If I wanted a can opener unit, I'd go for White Lions. If I wanted a unit to slice swathes through enemy formations, that alone rests in the capable hands of the Sword Masters.

A close second would be Chaos Warriors. They have just as many options as War Dancers (but only with equipment, marks, etc), but they offer a wide array of uses and tactical implications. They're durable and have a heft offensive capacity to boot.

"In the eyes of the Elves of Ulthuan there exists no fear, only grim determination.

Until one has witnessed them in combat, one cannot comprehend the power that they possess."
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-09, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant Valor View Post
Blood Knights are great because they can be "healed," but their Frenzy can be a serious Achilles Heel to them. They are incredibly strong, though, with plenty of attacks. I'll probably have to agree with you here, MtM, if only with respect to Cavalry.

For infantry, I'll have to say Sword Masters of Hoeth. There are plenty of things that can crumple them (shooting, some magic, etc, all of which seem to be out of the scope of the question at hand), but just considering the Sword Masters themselves, they're renowned for obliterating entire units at a time with a minimum number of models.

War Dancers are great, yes, but I like the stability and capability of the Sword Masters just slightly more. Sword Masters' focus overrides the adaptability of the War Dancers. However, I am considering the High Elven army as a whole, too. If I wanted a durable infantry unit, I'd go with Phoenix Guard. If I wanted a can opener unit, I'd go for White Lions. If I wanted a unit to slice swathes through enemy formations, that alone rests in the capable hands of the Sword Masters.

A close second would be Chaos Warriors. They have just as many options as War Dancers (but only with equipment, marks, etc), but they offer a wide array of uses and tactical implications. They're durable and have a heft offensive capacity to boot.
wow nice commentary, I was asking the question more from a fluff perspective but your tabletop breakdown was enlightening

i think the war dancers look the coolest though, tattooed celtic-inspired elven berserker-ninjas...you have to admit that's pretty tight

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-09, 04:29 AM

BloodAngelsfan's Flag is: USA

Fluff wise... Is Gotrek awesome enough to be considered his own type? I'd probably say Blood Knights, because they're VAMPIRES!!!!!!!!

Aerith/Aeris Gainsborough: “The current system of servitude is barbaric and inadequate for today's generation. We appeal to the leaders of both the Imperium and the Coalition of Hateful Assholes and Organised Sin to seek to change this for the betterment of all its citizens”

Lorgar: “Guess there was one plot thread we forgot to erase ...” Mortarion nods in agreement, while Ahriman looks on suspiciously.

Aerith/Aeris Gainsborough: “We feel trapped, we feel oppressed. And we urge our governments to release us from these metal boxes-”

Lorgar: “Oh shi-”

Firraveus Carron: Leaping to his feet. “METAL BOXES?!?METAL BOXES!!!THEY RIDE IN METAL BOXES!!!”

-Labor Unions

All credit goes to Lastie on Warseer, for writing Primarchs (available in a 647 page Microsoft Word document)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-09, 08:55 PM

scolatae's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodAngelsfan View Post
Fluff wise... Is Gotrek awesome enough to be considered his own type? I'd probably say Blood Knights, because they're VAMPIRES!!!!!!!!
what am i hearing this correctly? a dwarf is a better fighter than the sages of heoth, the way watchers of athel loren and the true priests of sigmar helndhammer. oh and screw vampires id go with swordmasters any day or perhaps white lions.

knowledge is power, hide it well
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-09, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolatae View Post
oh and screw vampires id go with swordmasters any day or perhaps white lions.
elves who specialize in fighting with axes...cool (just looked up white lions)
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-29-09, 12:45 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Chosen with GWs and the Mark of Khorne (and a 12 on the Eye of the Gods).

S6, 3A, Stubborn and a 4+ Ward!

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-29-09, 02:36 AM

BloodAngelsfan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolatae View Post
what am i hearing this correctly? a dwarf is a better fighter than the sages of heoth, the way watchers of athel loren and the true priests of sigmar helndhammer. oh and screw vampires id go with swordmasters any day or perhaps white lions.
Yeah!!! Gotrek could pwn Sigmarite priest or a way watcher any day. And by best I meant most skilled or powerful, I'm not a fan of Vamps.

Aerith/Aeris Gainsborough: “The current system of servitude is barbaric and inadequate for today's generation. We appeal to the leaders of both the Imperium and the Coalition of Hateful Assholes and Organised Sin to seek to change this for the betterment of all its citizens”

Lorgar: “Guess there was one plot thread we forgot to erase ...” Mortarion nods in agreement, while Ahriman looks on suspiciously.

Aerith/Aeris Gainsborough: “We feel trapped, we feel oppressed. And we urge our governments to release us from these metal boxes-”

Lorgar: “Oh shi-”

Firraveus Carron: Leaping to his feet. “METAL BOXES?!?METAL BOXES!!!THEY RIDE IN METAL BOXES!!!”

-Labor Unions

All credit goes to Lastie on Warseer, for writing Primarchs (available in a 647 page Microsoft Word document)
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-27-09, 02:15 PM

Tatsumaki's Flag is: Saint Lucia

Well I dunno about who is the strongest as such, but when it comes to fighting horde armies, it's witch elves every time!

(Although you have to admit, the models for corsairs are much prettier!)

Tatsu

"Don't call me small! I'll breakdown your feet and stick 'em on your head!!." Full metal alchemist
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-27-09, 02:29 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

`Thirster owns quite alot of stuff but for me its has to be Vamp Lords, I mean common! the customisability ( spelling? lol ) is immense, either a CC monster or an awesome Wizard, if not both...

The best rank and file infantry at melee..... Sword masters( or Executioners? ) with Blood Knights on the charge being up there and of course all the chaosy stuff like Daemons, Chosen etc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode