Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Could a Bretonnian Knight/Grail Knight ride a dragon into battle as a mount?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Gurkhal 
#1 · (Edited)
There was a teenager at my shop during the weekend and wanted to start a Bretonnia army, As much as I love Bretonnia it's essentially dead since it haven't been updated in years and it's models are hard to find, tried at first talking him out of it but I can't argue with someone like me that likes Grail Knights lol

He was asking me from a lore perspective if IT'S possible for a Bretonnia Knight(I think that's impossible) or a Grail Knight(possible but highly unlikely) to ride a Dragon into combat similar to a High Elf noble or prince. I would imagine it's possible but extremely unlikely. I doubt the knight would ever find a dragon egg, watch it until it hatches and raises the hatchling into a mount. that kid is hell bent on having a Dragon Knight lol

#2 ·
well, i doubt it...under the lattest non AOS rules you couldn't. In AOS, you cannot (since bretonnia ceased to exist altogheter...) in 2nd or 3rd edition i recall you could buy any monster as a mount.
Maybe you could use a model with other rules... can a bretonnia general ride an hippogrif or similar? if so, use those rules on a dragonrider model.

#3 · (Edited)
Exactly, "counts as" means exactly that you can field anything sensible really,
and I guess the obvious choice is to play it as a freeguild general on a griffon,
but model it as a grail knight on a dragon. those were pretty models imo.
squattin them was insane...
actually i had not checked but why not play brets as things like demigryph knights?
just have to find the models.

#4 ·
I thought the Grail Knights still existed under Lillith's daughter command in AOS?

Am sure a Grail Knight/Bretonnia Lord riding a hippogrif would be fine stat and rule wise with just the model having a dragon.

But from the actual lore, could there be a way for a Grail Knight to ride a dragon? I mean Lilith is an Elven Goddess, maybe she decided this Grail Knight was special so maybe she made a deal with a Sun dragon to let him ride him for something?.....that sounds like 80's Warhammer lore now XD

Reactions: neferhet
#5 ·
of course, why not. a very SPECIAL grail knight, but i mean...the horned rat bacame a chaos god, so who are we to say no to a cool dragonrider?

#6 ·
I know I'm late as hell...

I suppose this enthusiastic player has been watching Game of Thrones or reading A Song of Ice and Fire, but personally I don't see a problem with this. Sure, its a once in a blue moon but with the right knowledge, right skill sets and probably a few good elven contacts I think it would be entirely possible to make a Bretonnian knight, grail or not, into a dragon rider in the best Targaryen fashion.

And besides when people come with a pet project for a setting that they love and are really enthusiastic about it, I think that unless it would actually hurt them, a supportive attitude should be adopted if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.