About the Beastmen - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-08, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Exitus_10's Flag is: New Zealand

Default About the Beastmen

Is it possible for the beastmen to congregate and live in a village like place or are they nomadic?
Do they have forges and do they make their own weapons or is it just "borrowed" from other races.
How do they reproduce?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-08, 02:12 AM
Kuffy's Flag is: England

I wouldn't call it a village, but they tend to congregate together in bands. Each would be lead by a powerful beastman, who has proven his worth to lead.

They could forge their own weapons, I suppose but in general they don't. I think they lack the ability and skills to create their own.

Kuffy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-08, 10:55 AM
Who the hell is LVix?

LVix's Flag is: Great Britain

With fluff its a bit of what is written and a good lot of speculation/guesswork with what information you have. (I am severly regretting selling my Beasts of Chaos book right now as Beastmen were always a favorite army of mine.)

What is written is that they are not natural but are from both animals AND men mutated by warpstone dust and have since formed into a truely chaotic race. To partially quote on their intelligence: "...for although they have a semblance of the intelligence of a man, they employ it with the base cunning of a wild animal." I mention this as it surely has some reflection on what they can and cannot do in their unique 'culture'.

As rightly mentioned by Kuffy they form together in warbands and do not generally stay in one place for long. That said however there is reference to them raising and protecting herdstones in their ongoing struggle with the wood Elves for control of the great forests... so you can also probly assume they might stay in one place for an extended period if the stone was judged to be of some importance. Its probly more of a territory type of thing with them though as they abandon things as easilly as they create them... as it is with chaos.

For reference to their trials of leadership I do recommend you get your hands on the Beast of Chaos book as there is a great short story in there about a beastman earning the right to lead his herd... I'm pretty sure its Khazrak but as I said I sold my book so I'm not 100% on that. (regretting that desicion a bit more now... *twitch*)

Forging their own weapons is pretty much a matter of opinion: the models have items that certainly look like they could be metal and indeed many pictures show Beastmen with swords, chains and the like upon them. Whether these are simply looted, reminants of their former human exsistance, traded with the maurauder tribes or crudely made by the Beasts are all quite viable options. Due to the ritualistic importance placed on metalworking by tribes in our own past and the in game link with the maurauders based on those very tribes I like to assume that some Beastmen do have the ability to forge weapons, even if they are only using the more basic metals like copper, brass and iron. That said it is as viable that a great many Beastmen simply have stone and bone weapons. (Again echoing Kuffy )

Reproduction... I think due to the fact GW aims its games at the age of 12+ that whole subject is glassed over and generally forgotten. However I believe there is some older fluff that says something about Beastmen being born directly from maurauder women on occasion. Also there is reference to the character Morghur having a mother so the possiblity of female beastmen is certainly not above the realms of possibility. (All the female humans and animals in the chaos wastes are surely not immune to warpstone are they? )

I hope this helps... the Beastmen certainly are a facinating if rather brutal lot.

Come to Heresy's very own Warhammer Fantasy Battle forum!

Syph - My, it's hard to talk 3D isn't it?! -

Tzeentch... the god all the girls follow!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-08, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Exitus_10's Flag is: New Zealand

Thanks a lot for that!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-08, 09:31 PM

well if they have the base instincts of animals does that mean that they migrate?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-08, 10:20 PM
Who the hell is LVix?

LVix's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Ranger882 View Post
well if they have the base instincts of animals does that mean that they migrate?
Not all animals migrate... that said humans come from nomadic origins and I believe there is some element of that lifestyle among the marauder tribes. So it would be safe to assume they move around a lot but being of chaos thier reasons for moving round may be as varied as seizing a barren area from their enemies for a brief time so they can summon something to simply for food.

Come to Heresy's very own Warhammer Fantasy Battle forum!

Syph - My, it's hard to talk 3D isn't it?! -

Tzeentch... the god all the girls follow!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-09, 01:20 AM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVix View Post
Reproduction... I think due to the fact GW aims its games at the age of 12+ that whole subject is glassed over and generally forgotten. However I believe there is some older fluff that says something about Beastmen being born directly from maurauder women on occasion. Also there is reference to the character Morghur having a mother so the possiblity of female beastmen is certainly not above the realms of possibility. (All the female humans and animals in the chaos wastes are surely not immune to warpstone are they? )

I hope this helps... the Beastmen certainly are a facinating if rather brutal lot.
I think so. They probably breed in all sorts of ways.
rape(human, elves, animals), asking mauraders for reproductive means.
Probably even just mutation in general also. So yah, thats stuffs kind of not for the 12 year old category.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-09, 11:12 AM
Pile of Slag's Flag is: Oman

I'am not so sure about rape,however mutation is suported by the beastmen army book e.g Morghur, Master of Skull; born from normal human perants as a mutant and as he became more favored by the Chaos Gods,he became more of the beastmen
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-09, 07:47 PM
Heresy's Graphics Slave

Syph's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Beastmen in the Malus book all live in the same place (ie: not nomadic) because the tribe guard a particular bunch of stones that lend their power to their Shaman IIRC. I think it also mentions some tribes are nomadic however. They lived in tents too btw.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode