high elf dragon prince numbers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-08, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

arhain's Flag is: New Zealand

Default high elf dragon prince numbers

I was reading in the high elf army book and in a small passage it mentions There are 10,000 dragon princes?!

Is this real i thought there is at max 1000

the passage is below dragon princes unit description

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that."

"I hate last stands, there's never time to train them."

-Guard Quotes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-08, 03:39 PM

swntzu's Flag is: United Kingdom

I don't have my book on me but I think you might be thinking about the Phoenix Guard descrption. Apparently they have always numbered 10,000.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-09, 03:17 AM
Ascendant Valor's Flag is: USA

I apologize for digging up an old topic, but as High Elf player, this is something I feel is important.

One thing most people tend to dismiss in their analysis of the Warhammer world (aside from its fictitious origins) is the sheer scale. Roughly speaking, since nobody has access to scaled maps and drawings, the island of Ulthuan is roughly a thousand miles in diameter (~1600km).

So, considering the landmass is not small by any standard, it is understandable that 10000 Dragon Princes can exist at any one time, as is also the case with the Phoenix Guard.

Also, do remember that the old ways of Dragon Princes riding their dragon mounts is a rarity. They are more likely to don their arms and armor atop a thoroughbred elven steed than to rouse a dragon for war, which is a far more laborious affair. True, a dragon is a great way to show a Dragon Prince's prowess and grandeur, the logistics of it (within the context of a fictional world...) would prove that it's just not pertinent nor beneficial in some cases. After all, why would a dragon be needed when a Dragon Prince is more than capable of holding off all incursions by the High Elves' twisted cousins or the Greenskins? (note: the High Elves are arrogant beyond all belief [except their own])

Conversely, the dragons are "few" in number. In the High Elf army book (I can't remember the page), it is said that the dragons are awaiting the moment when their might is most needed for the kin of Ulthuan. I'd like to assume that the true strength, both in terms of numbers and in power, will be unleashed at such a time.

As for the Phoenix Guard, it is also very likely they too have always numbered 10000. Because of their silence, nobody will ever know for certain other than the Phoenix Guard themselves. It is also said within the HE AB that Asuryan will not allow the Phoenix Guard to die, since it is their sole duty to ensure the sanctity of the Phoenix Throne and they are never to be relieved of such a grand duty. In the end, only the Phoenix Guard know their fate, as well as the fate of all others in the Warhammer world. (best fluff ever!)

"In the eyes of the Elves of Ulthuan there exists no fear, only grim determination.

Until one has witnessed them in combat, one cannot comprehend the power that they possess."

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-10, 09:47 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

high elves are only considered a dying/ small race because their are so many humans. There are still many DPs but most no longer ride their great drakes to war like they did in ages past
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-10, 10:18 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Even though its a large island the numbers still seem a little high- going on british history the warbands that fought over england for most of its history were <1000 men. Even by the time of the spanish armarda there were only about 25'000 men in the spanish invasion fleet, and thats counting everyone. The elite core of the army would have been tiny by comparison to the main army- for HE there must be a huge number of archers/spearmen/LSG by comparison with the veteran phoenix guard or dragon princes... I certainly think the fluff's numbers are off

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 09:28 PM

CaptainLoken's Flag is: Wales

but you cant compare European history to warhammer.

We are charged with the reunification of mankind, throughout the stars, in the name of the Emperor. We seek to establish compliance amongst all the fragmentary and disparate strands. Most greet us like the lost brothers we are. You resisted.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 11:20 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sure you can- there may be magic and different races but you're still going to be having the same sort of scale villages/towns (but presumably much larger and grander capitals) in a europe sized world so the population density and thus the size of the armies should be vaguely to the same scale... unless there is something that Im missing from the fluff that would vastly increase the numbers of people around.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-10, 07:43 PM

I agree you can and should compare numbers of warhammer armies with armies that exsisted in real life. The Empire has a lot of people because it has basically all of Europes population in it (excluding russia which of course is Kislev.) If High elves have this many dragon princes how many common people exsist on the island and where do they get the food for them? Maybe fluff states that high elves have this many dragon princes and a small # of commoners (includes spear men and so forth) then it would not make sense. It would be like the Persians having more immortals than thier actual army. It is possible but not likely and not smart.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-10, 07:15 PM

CaptainLoken's Flag is: Wales

Hmmm still not sure there as it is based on a fantasy game and with the battles that have happened through out the history there would be no one left....

We are charged with the reunification of mankind, throughout the stars, in the name of the Emperor. We seek to establish compliance amongst all the fragmentary and disparate strands. Most greet us like the lost brothers we are. You resisted.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-10, 08:10 PM

Yilmar's Flag is: Netherlands

Well you shouldnt take the fluff numbers to seriously.
I mean if you consider that every summer there is a massive campaign involving most armies, the spawn wouldnt live up to the casualties.
If the fluff numbers were to be taken seriously then some armies would have been depleted by 50&#37; right after the storm of chaos.
That sort of battles would have taken decades to recover from!
However one year after the storm of chaos another world wide campaign was there to entertain the masses.

Only one conclusion can be made:
The old world should be a wasteland by now owned by walking undead.

<- Smithers or Mr Burns, who you like best? ->

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode