Knight Unit sizes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Armylists Post your Warhammer Fantasy armies here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Da Once & Future Git's Flag is: Australia

Default Knight Unit sizes

Hi guys,
Just curious as to what size you all run your knights at.
I play vampires and high elves running black knights and dragon princes, both at 6 knights strong with full commands.

My reasoning is:
Maximise attacks on your standard 5x4 20mm infantry block.
Knights are too expensive to worry about ranks.
Can lose 1-2 and still have some impact.
My general tactics for knights are flanking units that try to avoid missile fire.

Anyways, your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 02:20 PM

With Tomb Kings, I'm aiming for a unit of 15! However, this is because when you look at the profile (WS2, S3, 4+ armour save) they really need ranks and numbers to win combats. Admittedly, at 245pts including a command group, it's a bit pricey, but it's not much more than a good-sized infantry unit, and when you hit, the enemy runs.
Of course, TK Heavy Cavalry aren't really knights, but it's the closest we have.

My friend who plays High Elves generally takes a unit of 8 Silver Helms. That does admittedly have something to do with that being all he has, but it's generally enough.

My personal opinion is that it depends upon the requirement. To break ranked up units with a frontal charge, I think you generally need either 2-4 ranks or 2+ attacks per rider. For throwaway, expendable units, as few models as possible. For a general unit 5-6 seems sensible - perhaps 5 and a character to help out?

Then there's Bretonians. I don't play them myself, but the lance formation adds a new dimension to this discussion.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 03:25 PM

Gen. Confusion's Flag is: USA

I play empire and I usually have my knights in groups of 5 with full command. Occasonially I will make a big unit of 10. Five wide with one extra rank. Although I do like the idea of using units of 6. I may try it out and see how it works.

"All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 04:18 PM

Ancient Tiel' a fier's Flag is: United Kingdom

I use 10 black knights for my vampires, true they are pricey but they last longer without focussing magic on ressurecting them as it is a difficult affair with cavalry.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-08, 09:00 AM

Green Knight's Flag is: United Kingdom

With bretonnians I have 9 or 8 if there is a character in the unit, for your black knights I would have 5 or 10

The creatures of the Warp have but one trait with which you need concern yourself - their undying contempt for the Emperor. It is your task to quell the rebellion they preach, and the only sure way is to destroy them utterly.
+++ Qualtak Shoram +++
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-08, 09:10 AM

mgtymouze's Flag is: USA

With Chaos, I run 9 if I upgrade to chosen and throw in a character. Other knight units I will run in groups of 5, but then again choas knights cost alot.

For my empire Army, I tend to keep it with 5 to 8 knights depending on if I want to have some thrown in to soak up bullets or bolts. Unfortunately my dwarfs have nothing (except a lonely gyrocopter) that can move with anything resembling speed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode