=][= Rumours Roundup : Sisters of Battle - White Dwarf Released - Page 101 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1001 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 04:42 PM

Maidel's Flag is: England

Want suggestions as to how to do blood red?

And just having a quick look the martyred lady has very little red in it - bloody rose is the red one.

To prevent any 'misunderstandings' if I post IN ORANGE then I am joking.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 04:43 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
I almost went that direction with them and ive tested some other idea lately and none of which have swayed me away from my original scheme so Im just stick with that and do what hollywood does and reboot them.

For the record I will be committing my time towards both The Soulless and my SoBs which I have so noteble dubbed the Forgotten. (no they arnt chaos ladies though I considered making them vampires).

My original fluff back in the day when I had no flippin imagination was that at Santuary 101 the sisters were having akegger and invited the necrons. A fight broke out which turned into an all out war. Not gonna use that retardedness again
I'm shooting more for an Order that not only celebrates the sacrifices of their martyrs but seeks to emulate their examples. That way I'm completely in like with GW's fluff of "Okay....Sisters of Battle fluff...let's have them die...again" and giving them something more than being female Imperial Guard in Power Armor (like the Order's first Canonness dying while driving a Blesses Weapon through the heart of a Bloodthirster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Zion, whatever else you do, I'd suggest against doing what I'm doing. Martyred Lady scheme looks striking, but the Blood Red is an utter BITCH of a paint in terms of using it as a base color, especially over black undercoat.

And that's after trying several non-GW Blood-Red-like paints as well. I've no idea how Ferrari does it, though I'm guessing that having it done by robot makes the sheer amount of layers needed easier to stomach.
I'm looking at starting with Mechanicus Red and blending it up to Blood Red for the highlights by mixing the two in different ratios and layering each progressively. I think the minimum I'd need to get a decent look would be about 7 layers (adjusting the ratios from pure Mechanicus to 3:1, to 2:1 to 1:1, to 1:2, to 1:3 to pure Blood Red). I could double that by doing the same with Blazing Orange for my highlights but I'd probably go insane....er.

I've played with using Washes to effect how the color looks but I don't really like the end result. I'm tempted to do wet blending, but I've got no real practice with it so that might be too hard for me to pull off.

Last edited by Zion; 06-17-11 at 04:49 PM.
post #1003 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 04:47 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Sure. Mind you, my complaint isn't so much that I can't make it look good, I've got a handle on that. I want a variety of Blood Red that doesn't take at least 2 layers (or 3, but that's only after a layer of Mechrite, it's a good 5 over black) before the color underneath stops shining through.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.

post #1004 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 04:49 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidel View Post
Want suggestions as to how to do blood red?

And just having a quick look the martyred lady has very little red in it - bloody rose is the red one.
Try mechrite red for the base then you can very easily move to blood red or you can build it up using a darker shade up to blood red

Orange is nice choice of a highlight or even pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I'm shooting more for an Order that not only celebrates the sacrifices of their martyrs but seeks to emulate their examples. That way I'm completely in like with GW's fluff of "Okay....Sisters of Battle fluff...let's have them die...again" and giving them something more than being female Imperial Guard in Power Armor (like the Order's first Canonness dying while driving a Blesses Weapon through the heart of a Bloodthirster).
I always liked the idea of an order that is secret and no one speaks of because of something very odd that they do which why I considered the whole vampire type idea. They wouldn't be corrupted by chaos but say the planet thye are from might have a virus or disiese that makes them have to drink blood to sustain them and the atmoshpere makes them very senstive to solar rays

post #1005 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Sure. Mind you, my complaint isn't so much that I can't make it look good, I've got a handle on that. I want a variety of Blood Red that doesn't take at least 2 layers (or 3, but that's only after a layer of Mechrite, it's a good 5 over black) before the color underneath stops shining through.
I use a white undercoat for pretty much all models.

But this works for white or black.

examples:

Thank you
post #1006 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
Try mechrite red for the base then you can very easily move to blood red or you can build it up using a darker shade up to blood red

Orange is nice choice of a highlight or even pink

Heh - I was offering suggestions, not asking for them.

Thank you
post #1007 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 05:21 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Looking at the advice posted by TheSpore and Maidel both and comparing it to what I posted as already doing, I can only conclude I'm being told to accept it and suffer in silence

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #1008 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-17-11, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Looking at the advice posted by TheSpore and Maidel both and comparing it to what I posted as already doing, I can only conclude I'm being told to accept it and suffer in silence
Far from it - I only use 1 coat of blood red.

White (Black)

Scab red (or mechite red if done over black)

Brown ink

scab red

Red Gore

Blood red.

Thank you
post #1009 of 2448 (permalink) Old 06-18-11, 12:55 AM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

anytime I use red over black i always start with mechrite red unless im goin darker then I start with brown and then a coat of P3 sanguine base.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode