Warmachine Two Player Battle Box details - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 11:57 AM

Khorothis's Flag is: Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
An army that is already a playable army
I disagree.

TL;DR with The New Shiny Box you save 106,93 pounds and every unit is worth the money, while with AoBR you save 75,3 pounds and you'll still have to buy stuff to make it work.

Details:

The New Shiny Box has, from a quick look, two 15 (maybe 20?) point legal armies made up of the original models that you can start playing around with to get the hang of the game as it actually plays out. Regarding the army composition, I've no idea about the Khador list but the Menoth list has quite a lot of potential (I guess a thumbs up for the guys responsible is in order).

Heres the price breakdown (in pounds, I just can't find the symbol on my shitty laptop):

Warcaster Kommander Sorscha - 6
Juggernaut Heavy Warjack - 19.99
Destroyer Heavy Warjack - 19.99
Man-O-War Shocktrooper Unit(5) - 50 (5x10 - didn't they have a unit box? but lets go with it, though I bet its 30 just like the Cinerators)

Warcaster High Exemplar Kreoss - 6
Crusader Heavy Warjack - 16
Vanquisher Heavy Warjack - 16
Repenter Light Warjack - 12.95
Exemplar Cinerators Unit(5) - 30

Total price: 176,93
Spent on useless units: 0 (considering how the lists themselves have good synergy, and even if you want to build a different army these units will have a place in it (the extent depends on the list type))

Price of this New Shiny Box: 70
Money saved: 106,93
Money actually saved: see above at the "spent on useless units" part.

The stuff you buy works the way it should, no extras are necessary to play the game as it is played regularly. And even if you decide not to buy a single new model for a long time (or ever) the armies should do just fine, though obviously not necessarily in tournaments (but you're not expecting a starter box to be filled with competitive units organised into a competitive army, are you?).

Source: http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/warmachine.asp (I used the RRP they listed, not their own prices (RRP=Regular Retail Price, right? Which means the official price, right?))

AoBR, however, has two unevenly built (if memory serves the spess muhreens have a 1-200 point advantage) but fortunately legal armies (assuming you split the Tac Marines into 2x5), but the models are "unique" and not in the good way and an AoBR game has nothing to do with your average 40K game, since it doesn't have transports which is the bread and butter of the current game. The army composition... well... regular Terminators? Deffkoptas? Barebones Nobz? Seriously.

This one's price breakdown (still in pounds, because I still can't find the symbol on my shitty laptop):

Warboss: 12.30
5xNobz: 15.50
20xBoyz: 36
3xDeffkoptas: 61.50 (holy crap, I thought they were cheaper and in a squad of three or something)

Commander: 14
1xDreadnought: 28
5xTerminators: 28
10xTactical Marines: 31

Source: GW's official website

Total cost: 226,3
Spent on useless units: 89.5 (Termies/Deffkoptas)

Price of AoBR: 61.5
Money saved: 164.8
Money actually saved: 75,3

However, you'll still have to buy a LOT of stuff, which costs a LOT of money, before you can roll out even a measly little 750 point game that doesn't feel stupid. So you'll have to add around 100 pounds to get the rest of your purchase working. Make sense? Of course not.

Summary: while the idea of a two-player starter set itself is not original, PP executes is better, at which point nobody cares that GW came up with it earlier. At the end of the day your money is better spent at PP than at GW.

The fool, the coward, and the ignorant proclaim that the warp is a realm of unknowable peril and indescribable terror, that it is the hell of countless ancient myths and legends. This is a lie, told by those whose authority is based on lies, to keep the masses terrified of the unknown. The warp is limitless power and its secrets are infinite; it is knowledge and strength, life and death, and the untapped potential to make and remake worlds. It takes only the discipline and the will to shape it; those who lack that clarity of purpose are liable to be shaped by it instead.

- Ahzek Ahriman of the Thousand Sons

Last edited by Khorothis; 06-15-11 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 12:54 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermax View Post

Edit: I think you're addition is a little off, pSorcha only has +5 WJ points, so it's a perfect 20 points
Ah, that's my bad then. I thought she was a +6 one. I didn't have my book at hand to check. Like I said, it was from memory.

All the better for it. That is a good starting point. That'll most likely give a more enjoyable encounter to start off with.

Quote:
Regarding the army composition, I've no idea about the Khador list but the Menoth list has quite a lot of potential (I guess a thumbs up for the guys responsible is in order).
The khador one has a good starting point. Sorcha is really compatible with the destroyer. Feeding the jugger focus might be tricky, because she's a bit of a focus hogg herserlf.

Man o'war are splendid screening units. It's a very slow force, this one. But it should work (mainly because sorcha can freeze enemies to give you the edge when needed). Nothing super "brick to face" effective, but certainly useable. The list definatly puts an emphasis on the khador armor, so it's a good start for khador players imo.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 01:44 PM

Space Marines Taskforce in AoBR is 585 Points

Orks Taskforce in AoBR is 450 points

Space Marines outscore Orks by 135 points. My Local GW store when they play intoduction games they leave out the Dreadnought.

Ultramarines are Pussies

Except Dark Angels, any chapter that sounds like a Death Metal Band can't be that bad.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 05:27 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

FFS can we not have someone bring up a new article about Warmachine without this debate starting up?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 08:57 PM

CursedUNTILLDEATH's Flag is: USA

So your telling me i just dropped 72 bucks on a Khador starting army, when i could have waited and got both the armies i wanted for a little more with more models...WHERE WAS THIS ON MONDAY???

FML!!!!

"If there is any primarch who should have never been found, its Lorgar. Why? Two words. Hours Hersey"
"It was a 1......why was it a 1!"
Yes, I do play orks, yes, I do have quite a few boys on the table, and yes, it does take me a while to move them...got a problem with that...
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 09:24 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its a great product for the price if your looking to get into warmachine, luckily im not !

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 09:31 PM

thomas2's Flag is: Great Britain

I've been thinking of getting into warmachine/hordes and those are two armies I'm vaguely interested in. It also means I don't have to rush into getting the starter sets in the 10th anniversary- which are only available for 5 more days at the moment and I don't think I can be sure what army to start, if to start at all, in that time seeing as I have quite a lot going on.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 09:32 PM