=][= Rumours Roundup : Tau Empire - Updated : 02/01/2013 - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 03:14 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterous View Post
Why do they need it?
Just because an army focuses on shooting, doesn't mean they should have BS4.
That's like saying that just because Orks focus on infantry, they should all have a 3+ save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsmith Drewgie View Post
Orks don't need a 3+ save they have a power klaw with 31 wounds
I think the sentiment is valid guys. When Tau were first released they were described as a young technologically advanced race with tremendous shooting ability.

That ability, at that time was balanced by having a BS of 3, but markerlights were "invented" to allow for improvement.

You must admit that, since Targetting Arrays are already being used, the potential for BS4 through fluff alone, exists.

I dont believe it will be an army wide standard, but it should be more easily aquired by the veterans of the army. Lets face it, the Tau as a race are described to have very similar tolerances to standard humans - so with that in mind, is there any reason why experienced troops (such as XV8 pilots) still dont seem to be learning to shoot better? Dont standard humans (IG) have units with a BS4?

Unfortunately, as I've said before, BS4 would mean a drastic re-shape of the entire codex, which is not something I see happening.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 06:30 AM

Ascendant's Flag is: USA

Ehh, I hope the Demiurg and Vespids are kept as back-burner as possible. I started playing Tau because I like Tau, and I don't want it to become some idiotic flying circus with four different visual styles shoehorned into one army. Give the kroot an extra unit or two, and call it a day.

Check my Purgators progress log, and give me crap for not working on them enough!
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=64616
post #103 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 07:50 AM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant View Post
Ehh, I hope the Demiurg and Vespids are kept as back-burner as possible. I started playing Tau because I like Tau, and I don't want it to become some idiotic flying circus with four different visual styles shoehorned into one army. Give the kroot an extra unit or two, and call it a day.
Well you can choose to have your army that way, but the Tau fluff is very centrally about incorporating other races.

post #104 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 03:53 PM

Wingman's Flag is: USA

Right now I'm playing an all Tau force but I would really like to see some good allied races join the tau mix. It follows the bacground and it's what I originally wanted in a force.

post #105 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 12:07 AM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

Found some more interesting stuff:

Cred to Natfka for bringing it to my attention and others where its due.

Quote:
Please remember that these are rumors, and to take with a grain of salt. We are still a ways out on this codex.

Via Tastyfish who compiled all the information into one place
rumor sources include Stickmonkey, ghost 21 and others...
New Heavy support platform. Basically immobile deep striked! heavy weapon and crew. Rail and Ion Cannon, and missile launcher are all obvious options here, but nothing solid with the rumor.

Assault Skimmer. Something between size of piranha and hammerhead, fast skimmer open topped, assault on disembark.

Update: Yes, its assault after a flat out move, and has the "drop troops along path" option similar to the storm raven. its supposedly a dedicated transport option for one new unit. (I dont place faith in this last bit, its very rare in current GW systems to see a vehicle kit limited to one unit/role...if GW is trying to sell them they will be available to more than one unit, or be a separate entry unto itself.)

New Drop ship. Not the FW one, but something new. Holds a boatload of fire warriors, or a few battle suits.

New battle suits. Not sure if these are the "next gen" suits or just heavy suits redone with out metal bits.

All current metal sets to be plastic (Pathfinders, Krootox, Vespids). New plastics are completed for Crisis Suits, Stingwings and Pathfinders.

Plastic Barracuda as well as a new unit choice, which will be a new alien race (insert your fantasy here).

Battle Suits - plug and play system. Essentially streamlined. Pick two guns and a skill or two skills and a gun. New models with interchangeable arms similar to Killa Kans?

Rule Changes
HQ and Troops
HQ choices are used to unlock units for troops, so a commander in a Crisis Suit unlocks Crisis Suits as troops, an Etheral unlocks Fire Warriors, Shaper unlocks Kroot.

Crisis Suits
Mostly same stats but now 3 wounds, come with every gun option and you can choose what weapon systems you fire every round. Max squad size x 5

Broadsides
Can take Network Markerlights instead of the missiles on their arms

Hammerhead Railgun
Draws a line across the table hitting everything under it. Multiple penetration through vehicles, only stopped by a glancing hit.

Shield Generator
Only team leaders can take a shield generator. The shield generator functions exactly like the DE Shadowfield. 2+ invulnerable save until the first failed save at which point it ceases to work.

Drones
No longer bought as Wargear. They are bought as a unit and then divided as you see fit at the start of the match. You can mix your drones when bought for the point cost needed. This caters for Drone Squadrons as an option.

Markerlight
One markerlight can fire the seekers off one model. Seekers replenish and are no longer one use items. Skyrays will only be able to fire one seeker per round.

1. Kroot HQ is in the works!
2. Kroot to get own transport (Devilfish will no longer be able to transport Kroot)
3. Kroot will get light armor saves (6+)
4. Kroot shaper will allow for the unit to have a special genetic trait.
5. Firewarrior carbine to get a grenade launcher (either explosive or EMP)
6. Vespids reworked and getting a Heavy unit
7. Firewarrior BS increased to 4
8.Crisis suits will get “hit and run” ability
9. Various changes to Firewarrior equipment
10. Various changes to Crisis suit equipment
11. New Prototypes
12. 4th edition prototypes now “standard” equipment for all suits
13. All HQ’s can act as a commander
14. New type of “Heavy” Battlesuit (new prototype of the Broadside)
15. Stealth suits will be changed to a advanced scout unit similar to Pathfinders
16. Pathfinders will be changed to act as a type of Tau Commando infantry

General Codex rumours
Not the next book, but probably after Black Templars

Author may be Phil Kelly

Army has 4 basic HQs and 3 basic troop choices excluding changes made by any Special Characters if there are any

Return of 4 old SC, plus 2-4 new ones

No Court of the Archon/henchmen type mixed units

New Tau models
New SC "Iceheart"

Crisis suits have been completely redesigned (not just recut sprues and ankle tweaks), less boxy and including a 'morphic weapon'

New sniper suit

Shas'O get a stealth armour option, may be an experimental suit like Shadowsuns, or the experimental suit might be a third option

Allies and Auxiliaries
Vespids get two slots (unknown if this is an additional two, or two overall). Kroot get an additional unit

No Knarloc riders,though perhaps something big (new WFB monster-szied) for the Kroot

Maybe minor psychic powers for Shapers or Shaper like character this is something Ghost has heard from other people and not stated directly

Demiurg have 1 HQ, 1 troop and maybe 1 else. Presumably the Elite choice mentioned elsewhere

Demiurg ancients are a thing Probably HQ, but could also be the elite unit

Possible Demiurg elite choice

Demiurg are "equal to banshees without the scream" so presumably anti-armour close combat, or at least have that as an option. This might also be elite unit rather than the troop one, or be a unit that does both - like a kit that would let you make Boyz and Ard Boyz (or Dwarfs and Longbeards). An elite unit, but being an upgrade to a troop slot to keep out the way of the battlesuits

Demiurg and one other new race join the army, the latter being something bizarre or at least something we've not seen before.

No Gue'vesa unit or models
No Nicassar

4 box sets, and 4 blisters in wave 1
Demiurg plastic box
Battlesuit plastic box

Demiurg ancient blister
New Tau SC blister

Peace

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #106 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 02:03 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Some interesting stuff, some wishlisting and some downright "Huh?" going on in there.

I see a note about BS4 FW's. Well I'm going to stick to my guns and say that its still unlikely unless available through upgrades or character choices.

A new race? Would fit the fluff, might be interesting. I'm now more curious than ever.

Variations on battlesuits, both in rules and models? Well yeah. Why wouldn't there be?

New open topped transport? Hope its for kroot - I'd imagine a "raider" style assault platform. If not then Demuirg will be thrown in as combat troops more than shooty, unless, of course, its for the "new race".

I also notice that the HQ/Troops rumour seems to be linked with special characters towards the bottom of the post, but not at the top. I wonder if thats a significant difference?

It seems I really suck at patience.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #107 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 11:30 AM

I have to admit, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about the update.

Don't get me wrong I like the sound of most of those rumors, except for the redesigned crisis suits but that's mainly because I like the boxy look.

But what I really hate is that whole 'can't take troops because the commander is the wrong species' rubbish. It just doesn't sound very tau like. It seems more like something the imperium would do.
post #108 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 11:50 AM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

I fully expect at least Firewarriors to be troops regardless of everything. They are the mainstay of the Tau army, it just doesnt make sense to have them as something else because you went for a battlesuit commander.

There are things I dislike and things I like in there. Tbh Im mainly after a new codex so one can have more then 3-4 usable units in the book then specific whatnot things. Every 5th codex apart from the failing Tryanids has been a good one so I have faith in this upcoming one too

Gimmegimmegimme now!

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #109 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-19-11, 11:17 AM
Jekub's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecrepitDragon View Post
Unfortunately, as I've said before, BS4 would mean a drastic re-shape of the entire codex, which is not something I see happening.
Have you looked at the new Necron Codex? It's such a drastic reshape it's almost a new race! Wether Tau will undergo as dramatic a reorganization is entirely dependant on what GW have in mind for the Tau.

BTW, If the Hammerhead is given that "hits everything under the line to the edge of the board" Railgun I think it will cost about 400+ points so don't expect that rule to be real.
post #110 of 361 (permalink) Old 11-19-11, 02:25 PM

I doubt it would cost that much. I mean 'hit everything under the line' is only useful if the opponent is dumb enough to have his men stand in a straight line.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode