40k MMO now due in March of 2013 - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-11, 06:44 AM

Mathai's Flag is: USA

Well, there is one MMO out there already that has a system I think would make sense in the 40K universe. (With a fair bit of tweaking of course.) I have been playing this F2P game lately called Vindictus. Every dungeon is both instanced like suggested above, and those instances also require a mission from some NPC or another before you can go into them. that way even the most rigid organizations such as Space Marines and Craftworld Eldar have a 'reason' to go into the instance. After the first run its just the MMO system of grinding that has players going there, but its still technically for the same deployment reasons as the first time. And for open areas where people are running around en'masse, well remember that the planet this game is on will likely be three quarters war zone. Anyone can be given a mission to run across battleground Z to hand deliver mission papers to Commisar X. What you do en route is all tactical maneuverings and so up to the player to determine the best route of.

Space Marines wont be imbalanced if you put them next to other types of PC options I think. Gotta remember that these games are likely based more off the table top game where SPace Marines are just a squishy as everything else in the universe, and less off the books where Space Marines are near immortal killing machines with armor that makes them close equivalents to WW2 era tanks. Space Marines, to use a term that I hope is obsolete by the time they make the game, will best be described as the Tanking class of the Imperium forces.

All that being said, if they change the name of this game to Warhammer 40K: Forever, I'm throwing in the towell on this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 05:56 AM

Caratacos's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
If they allow marines as a playable faction im not buying it, Jedi ruined star wars galaxies, bring on old republic
No, SOE ruined SWG. But since SWGEMU is in progress, happiness will return. *Takes a pill*

Would be a fun side of the 40K MMO to be able to work as a crafter. Who wouldn't want to be a Techmarine/Techpirest/Mekboy etc. and craft all day long?

First you learn how to craft a huge amount of crappy laspistols, and in the end, when max level, you are able to Master-craft Exitus Sniper Rifles and such
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 06:03 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caratacos View Post
Would be a fun side of the 40K MMO to be able to work as a crafter. Who wouldn't want to be a Techmarine/Techpirest/Mekboy etc. and craft all day long?

First you learn how to craft a huge amount of crappy laspistols, and in the end, when max level, you are able to Master-craft Exitus Sniper Rifles and such
So... Minecraft with 40K skins?

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 07:56 AM

the-ad-man's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
So... Minecraft with 40K skins?
in a world where you can make ANYTHING! ....so long as its covered in aquilla icons....

i think he ment more of the wow professions. would be an interesting idea, you could turn players into vendors then, making the items for sale.
e.g. you can buy an NPC for your storefront who acts as the shopkeeper even while you are offline. its just up to you to keep stocks up and collect your earnings.

then again...that could be troublesome, with hundreds of players all crafting the same thing. maybe a crafting skill based minigame? then the better you do, the better weapon you craft.

but for all that to work, you'd need to make each proffesion a genuine choise that means something, otherwise there would be people mastering everything.

then you run into the problem of everyone's storefront crowding up the place, maybe a 'free market' kind of area, akin to the maple story one would work, where a player goes to a dedicated area to see al the player crafted items. or maybe have them be able to set up shop anywhere, risk being attacked my mobs but be in a better place to provide emergancy supplies.

i hope the above shows you how difficult it is to conceptualy make an mmo, since this is only theorising maybe a 10th of the ingame economey.

mmos are incredibly difficult to make, let alone make right. blizzard are the luckiest SOB's out there.

anyhoo, i have faith in 40k:online

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode