40k MMO now due in March of 2013 - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 12:45 AM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

I don't think any MMO ever has met its initial estimated release date...I Beta-tested Warhammer Online from the first day the Beta servers went live, and that had about 7 different release dates as time went on (and still went out before it was finished thanks to EA pressure).

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 12:57 AM

Flayed 0ne's Flag is: USA

Icon

...the longer they take...the better it will be...

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 01:12 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
All of THQ's games have only used the 40K source material as a guideline - they don't stick to it too closely, so in THQ's version of the 40K Universe it'll be perfectly fine to run around killing Grots, delivering their hats to the Company Captain or something along those lines.
If this ends up being the case it'll never work, and i'm struggling to see how they will shoehorn 40k as we know it into a standard MMO template.

The reason WoW and Everquest have been so successful is that they have a rich environment, which is built around the needs of the players.

Games like star wars galaxies did it the other way around - the environment is already there, and the players are awkwardly squeezed into a world that doesn't need them.

In WoW you'll find yourself following long quest chains to discover and defeat the evils which are impeding on your people......in Galaxies you're killing thousands of faceless imperial soldiers so the rebel clothes shop will let you buy a new hat.

That's not to say Galaxies didn't have a few good points, it had a very good player driven economy and some of the skill trees were fun, but at no point did it make you feel part of the Star Wars universe....it's just another kill-stuff-to-get-stuff MMO with a star wars backdrop.

I hope this won't be the case with the 40K MMO, but they really will need to break the mold to make this work.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 01:50 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
If this ends up being the case it'll never work, and i'm struggling to see how they will shoehorn 40k as we know it into a standard MMO template.
Well, the combat is supposed to be completely different and not typical of your usual MMO, so there's that at least.

Quote:
Games like star wars galaxies did it the other way around - the environment is already there, and the players are awkwardly squeezed into a world that doesn't need them.
You mean like DC Universe Online? DC and Sony made a valiant effort to explain why hundreds of new heroes and villains are popping up all the sudden, but it still sucks.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 12:51 PM

Well, I haven't done any research on this. But I would definitely want a 40k mmo to be an MMOFPS, and not an MMORPG.

People will agree and disagree with me for this next line, but I think it would make a great Guild wars style game where the many story line is linear and the zones are instanced. That way you won't have to deal with seeing space marines run around grinding or anything like that.

The game should also be highly focused on multiplayer combat.

I still want to see an mmo that is RvRvRvRvRvR instead of the standard of horde vs alliance.

Also, Warhammer online was the worst mmo I have ever played bar none, including titles such as, "LotR online," "Age of Conan," "Star Trek online," "WoW," "Guild wars," and even "Final Fantasy 11"

4,220 CSM
2,320 Necrons
1,870 eldar
1,000 witch hunters (trying to get rid of this)
1,000 SM (trying to get rid of this)
680 Tau (newest addition)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 03:48 PM

Viryn's Flag is: Sweden

There is only one true mmo out there and that's Eve-online and with the introduction of dust it will be exactly what a warhammer 40k mmo should be like imo.

We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way.'

-Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus, Tarsis Ultra
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 06:18 PM

Judas Masias's Flag is: USA

I know this might be alittle off topic, but has anyone herd when W40k Space Marine is comming out for the console systems?

Space Wolves: Wins-24 Loss-6 Draw-7
My Conversions
Bjorn the Fellhanded Conversion:http://blog.spikeybits.com/2010/09/c...ll-handed.html
Plastic Abaddon Conversion:https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=70426
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 06:22 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

In July i think. Definitely this summer.

^^ Amen to that. Though after 3+ years of playing I got little bored so i gave my account to brother, he plays with 2 now.. So I'm waiting for something new.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 06:42 PM

turel2's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
All of THQ's games have only used the 40K source material as a guideline - they don't stick to it too closely, so in THQ's version of the 40K Universe it'll be perfectly fine to run around killing Grots, delivering their hats to the Company Captain or something along those lines.
I sure space marines will have:

*Kill 10 rats
*Bring Rat Skins to Company Master
*Choose quest reward: Land Raider or Whirlwind.

next quest:

*Kill 20 rats
*Bring Rat Skins to Company Master
*Quest reward: Congrats you have recieved Terminator Honours.

Etc etc lol
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-11, 01:34 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
You mean like DC Universe Online? DC and Sony made a valiant effort to explain why hundreds of new heroes and villains are popping up all the sudden, but it still sucks.
SOE seem to fuck up everything they touch. Matrix online had a great idea with the continuing story, but they couldn't keep up with the player demand. The universe outside of the weekly story arc was stagnant and had very little to do.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode