GW in trouble... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default GW in trouble...

GW shares plummeted almost 17% in early trading this morning after a profits warning. Sales are down for the six months to the end of November, and the prospects look gloomy for the first half of 2011 as well.

BBC article: here

All that is important is known.
Praxis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:29 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

OH NO!.........*goes back to not caring*

post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:31 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

With the constant price rises and poor value for money, somehow i am not surprised.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:41 AM

Lucian Kain's Flag is: New Zealand

They've already shot them selves in the foot in New Zealand,theres no way I'm paying $120.oo for a Land Raider or $111.oo for five GK terminators.They need a new plan.Isn't this supposed to be a hobby kids can get into?...It used to be...can't they use recycled plastics or cut wages...something to plug the holes in the bucket and add more water.Unless they've got a plan to crash and burn and start over, starting with weaker currencey nations they might want to look at a bit of hireing and fireing the people in manageing major contracts...good bye pork pie

'I AM THE HAMMER'

Last edited by Lucian Kain; 01-05-11 at 10:56 AM.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:44 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Not convinced this means GW are in any more trouble than many other entertainment companies. Its says they are not making as much profit, not making a loss. Although this is bad for GW, it probably doesnt mean they are about to go into liquidation.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:45 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

...Sadly, I am not that shocked.

Having studied the figures for last year and the year before, I was worried that Space Hulk was the main reason '09 worked out well.

Expect another price rise guys - and this puts back TWC another 6 months or more. (Because, if you STILL don't get it, it's good business to make you convert them from other plastic kits, then release a fucking gorgeous plastic kit of its own.)

The shift back in stores to the 40k prominence should have given the game away earlier, but I hoped Christmas would be good for GW...obviously not. Remember, when WEFB was released there was a spiel in WD about it being their main focus for a while, how they wanted it to overtake 40k as main seller...and now it's relegated to 1/3 of shelf space again.

Eighth was a failure, and now they are going to push 6th 40k on us early to try and stay afloat.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:47 AM
Facts + Reason = Win

Bubblematrix's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ouch, it shows that in these times a luxary product will take quite a sales hit. Its interesting though (on a personal level) as that is pretty much the period I reduced my expenditure on GW products - looks like I am with the trend.

Its still surprising though as I would have thought that the DE and WFB releases would have made sales a bit more healthy in that period. I guess it shows that what GW customers want (i.e. more armies, more games) is not necessarily what will drive sales up. Unless of course they would have done even worse without these product lines being released.

I guess we will see what the GW response is, I would imagine some reduction in R&D to keep profits up, and a slowing on store opening.

Ultimately there isn't much that GW can do to effectively increase its sales figures - which is half the financial problem which GW keeps staring down.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:53 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

GW actually doesn't put money aside for dedicated R&D. Odd, I know.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 10:58 AM
Facts + Reason = Win

Bubblematrix's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
GW actually doesn't put money aside for dedicated R&D. Odd, I know.
Wow, I always thought they budgetted it in. No wonder they end up with some products being really poor and others excellent - targetted R&D would maybe save them development costs then

This explains the realm of battle!

I can't see them going for another price rise though, it would be highly counterproductive in the current market. I could however see them going for some special offers, maybe based in WD to try and shift more copies of that arse rag.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 11:05 AM

Lucian Kain's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
Not convinced this means GW are in any more trouble than many other entertainment companies. Its says they are not making as much profit, not making a loss. Although this is bad for GW, it probably doesnt mean they are about to go into liquidation.
Yea I don't seriously think it ever will,just like the product and can't afford it.Stink for me,who cares...

'I AM THE HAMMER'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode