GW in trouble... - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 12:17 PM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

Deep striking landraiders and vindicators that can fire after full movement, scary masks of Dante that seriously reduce the abilities of HQ choices, heroic intervention on assault troops.
Clearly balanced.

If GW insist on changing rule sets, they should do it for the entire range at one, not wait for armies to play catch up waiting up to 10 years for a revamp. This is not a feature you find in other game systems, which is my point.

And the codex creep you deny is just one of my points, its all combined that are making me and my fellow gamers fall out of love with GW.
But i'm still a GW fan, I feel they just need pointing in the right direction or they risk losing out to the new blood. Try it, you might like it!

I am the White Knight!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 12:27 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

Gasp... luxury goods not doing so well in a recession... who'd have thought it?

I think all we can really do is keep supporting GW in the hope that once the coast is clear, they'll stop thinking about profits and start thinking about spreading the gaming love.

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 12:44 PM

tu_shan82's Flag is: Australia

I hope GW don't go under, I love my hobby, and as nice Warmachine/Hordes and other game systems in the wargaming market look, they're no substitute for 40k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.

post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:03 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Ehh. It's 4%, which is on the order of 1/3 of the problems HMW were reported as having (anywhere between 10% and 13.6% according to that rather badly-written article); I wouldn't start worrying about the GW sky falling.

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:08 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaaneshy View Post
Deep striking landraiders and vindicators that can fire after full movement, scary masks of Dante that seriously reduce the abilities of HQ choices, heroic intervention on assault troops.
Clearly balanced.
Oh Noes! That giant misshapen brick you dropped from the sky that still scatters 2d6" and has a fucking huge profile thus making mishaps likely, and not being an Assault Vehicle when it Derp Strikes, and can only fire one weapon thanks to PotMS is so BORKEN! It totally isn't 300+ points of mediocre getting itself within Melta range to save me the hard work! :/

Vindicators still have AV11 Side.

Dante has ALWAYS done that.

Vanguard are shit without Descent of Angels to make their Heroic Intervention WORK, and not that popular among top players even with it.

Really - BA is in NO WAY a better Codex than IG or SW overall.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:32 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I blame Alessio "I FUCKED UP 40k" Cavatore.

I love that bloke, love him like I love having my bung hole shredded by a cactus.
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:38 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I blame Alessio "I FUCKED UP 40k" Cavatore.
It could have been worse; given that Alessio's Italian, we could well have ended up with 23 pages of 'how to retreat' rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
...having my bung hole shredded by a cactus.
And that's a mental image that'll stay with me all day

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3

Last edited by Svartmetall; 01-05-11 at 01:41 PM.
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 01:51 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Re. Codex Creep - I think it's a misuse of the term. "Creep" indicates a slow and steady rise in a sequential order, which it isn't. However that is not to say that all codicies are balanced.

Generally speaking TKE is right, 5th Ed > 4th Ed and previous codicies. But what has not been mentioned is that the 5th Ed codicies themselves are not internally balanced. Wolves and IG are way more powerful than, say, Space Marines or Nids.

While we're never going to have a totally level playing field, GW seems to persist in consistantly cocking up massively with certain codicies. Example: Space Wolf Grey Hunters are Tactical Marines with added special rules, added CCW, and added melta/plasma gun. Yet they cost less per model than a Tac Marine. Whoever made that decision should be fired on the spot imo. So long as people make decisions like that, we're never going to have even close to balanced armies.

BA and DE have been a step in the right direction though, each codex has several different builds available to it, and no units which are "OMIGOD MUST TAKE" in the manner of Vulkan or Hive Guard. The DE codex also has very few units that people will *never* take, which is impressive. I think BA also uses most of its available units apart from Scouts. If they can sustain this level of codex writing then I think we'll be on to a very good thing.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblematrix View Post
Ouch, it shows that in these times a luxary product will take quite a sales hit.
Luxury goods are doing very well in the economic downturn. If only GW really were a luxury brand company.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-05-11, 02:06 PM

tu_shan82's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It could have been worse; given that Alessio's Italian, we could well have ended up with 23 pages of 'how to retreat' rules.

Despite being half Italian, I find that incredibly funny. It's funny because it's true. That reminds me of a couple of jokes.

Q:"What's the shortest book in the World?"
A:"Italian war heroes."

Q:"How many gears does an Italian tank have?"
A:"Four, one going forward and three in reverse."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode