Dawn of War III - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-10, 05:37 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyspit View Post
It took me a few months to get into DoW II after buying it, but once I started playing it, I grew to enjoy the new format.
The sign of a good game is being able to enjoy games immediately.

Games I can say that about: Dawn of War, Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Medieval 2: Total War, Stronghold 2, Kingdom Under Heaven, Cod4 Modern Warfare, MW2, Spyro the Dragon, Dynasty Warriors 3-5.

When there were drastic game changing properties added, it took me a while to get into the following, and I either enjoyed eventually, or hated.

Soulstorm, DoW2, Chaos Rising, Empire: Total War, Stronghold Crusader Extreme (SH3 out soon incidentally), Cod5, DW6.

Spyro has remained the one consistant throughout the variants. I got that game at release. Even today, I'll still get it out and enjoy it in it's 6 polygons a model glory.

Quote:
It is odd not having resources to generate, and the absence of multiple tactical squads and Armor is a weird, but I really enjoy the RPG aspects. Changing equipment loadouts and selecting different squad members is fun and addictive.
The Resources were near enough perfected in DoW and WA. Add in Necrons, and it began to fuck up. It was hard enough to balance 5 races with 2 resources. Add in 7 races competing for the same ground, and factoring in one unique resource made it harder. Let's not say the S word, shall we?

You can have an RPG as well as an RTS. A Squad based combat game should either be a Shooter, or Turn Based game. Having an RTS that isn't an RTS, or an RPG that isn't an RPG is shit.

Relic just don't have the resources and THQ don't give them the leeway to produce a proper game.

Christ, that Space Marine looks quite nifty. All I'm hoping is that the texturing of the models really improves. And whatever arsewipe thought that putting a marine covering half the screen for the entire game just so we could see that SOME effort had been put into texturing his shoulder pad, but then block the field of vision IN A SHOOTER got fired pretty quick.

I don't know. Maybe I'm expecting too much common sense from geeks stuck in an office all day, with only thoughts of "wouldn't it be cool if..." running through their heads, and then go ahead and do it.

If it was me, I'd now be flying over Russia with a Ka50 blowing up anything that moved, just to see the results. But unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. They're creating a game for the public, not a game for themselves, and they should take into a account what the public says.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-10, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I prefer DoW II to DoW because of the removal of base building, forcing players to get into the fight and preventing impossible fortresses to crack and bases loaded with turrets. And of course the easier resource management, no need to constantly cap resource points or build lots of power generators. Just capture points and build a small group of generators.

In truth DoW III's announcement means nothing in the short term. Company of Heroes online is the deciding factor on whether or not it will happen, if it does then DoW II: Retribution will finish off DoW II and then we move onto DoW III. But if CoH Online fails then DoW III dies with it, and DoW II continues on and on.

And if DoW III is released then it has to have every major race available from the start. Because if its just Space Marines, Orks, Eldar and Chaos then it will fail right there, we need variety... and I need Dark Eldar.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 08-19-10 at 06:42 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-10, 08:24 PM

fett14622's Flag is: USA

I second that, I need Dark Eldar too. ;)

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-10, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
I prefer DoW II to DoW because of the removal of base building, forcing players to get into the fight and preventing impossible fortresses to crack and bases loaded with turrets. And of course the easier resource management, no need to constantly cap resource points or build lots of power generators. Just capture points and build a small group of generators.
Impossible fortresses? Nobody could withstand if you bombarded them enough and every single race had a solution to turtling. It forced people to think of when and where to strike not just attack move. The new one is all about micro management, generally in the first one it wasnt as severe, now the game is entirely about kiting and clicking to perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
And if DoW III is released then it has to have every major race available from the start. Because if its just Space Marines, Orks, Eldar and Chaos then it will fail right there, we need variety... and I need Dark Eldar.
Why would they redo the one race that had the MOST problems? Dark Eldar were an abortion in soulstorm. And giving us that terrible expansion left a bad taste of emo space elves in many peoples mouths.

Plus they made twenty bucks out of me for making chaos separate. Of course I can't play any other race but it's the principal of the thing.

I keep forgetting how hilarious my old posts are.

It's not a question of who will let me, it's a question of who will stop me.
You fight for nothing! You are nothing!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-10, 08:43 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm with Vaz, i really am not a big fan of RTS games...but DOW2 was just bleh compared to the first.

Warcraft 3 is a perfect example that you can do a proper RTS game with excellent RPG aspects.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-10, 09:06 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Think we can all agree on something though... at least they tried something new and inovative, rather then being Starcraft 2 and cloning something 12 years old.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-10, 09:39 PM

A 40k style Total War game would rock fucking face. I would buy that in a heart beat.

Yeah I take pictures of hot girls. Some one has to.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-10, 10:05 PM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Warcraft 3 is a perfect example that you can do a proper RTS game with excellent RPG aspects.
Anyone heard of/played Spellforce? A damn good mix of RTS and RPG
Its years old and i still play it over and over again. It defies boredom.

SGMAlice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-10, 10:09 PM

Shamrok's Flag is: USA

I have also thought while playing DOW that it would have better in a total war format, It would be truer to the 40k experience

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-20-10, 11:25 AM

deathwatch27's Flag is: Wales

I preferred DOW1 as far as the scale but the fliers in Soulstorm were dreadful they didn't even react like they would in the 40k universe.

I believe that they need to make a FPS game like Deus Ex from the perspective of an inquisitorial agent and as you progress you rank up to full inquisitor with various shite to awesome wargear. Wonder around a hive world investigating a disappearance then end up finding a genestealer cult or hunting a chaos ritual. The game could have multiple endings seeing you banish the demons or joining them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode