New concept art for the Ultramarines movie - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-10, 10:42 PM

ulfson's Flag is: Australia

I think it will be fine - of course, GW, Codex films and even the ubiquitous Dan Abnett won't be able to please everyone - its the nature of any niche hobby with so many die-hard fans.

From what I understand, it is being designed for fans in mind. Whether this means the age 10 - 17 crowd, the 18 to 29 crowd, the 30+ crowd or a combination of the three could be anyone's guess. The main backbone of GW's customer base are teens 14 to 18. However, I think Dan Abnett's writing can be appreciated by most age groups, and the caliber of the actors cannot be denied - Terence Stamp, Sean Pertwee and John Hurt for goodness sake! Plus codex pictures have won awards for the direct to DVD releases (which this movie will be) - although that WAS for Bionicle (spew).

All in all on paper, it does look good. But for those of us that have a VERY particular image of what 40k should be in our minds - which, lets be honest, is a lot of us - it may be disappointing.

I am personally looking forward to it. One of the only reasons I played the Dawn of War series is to see one of my favourite table top games come to life - now I get a movie?! How spoilt I am to have a company that is successful enough to afford these things.

Cheers,
Benny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-10, 10:45 PM

I have to say that everyone seems to be frothing at the mouth with regard to the "actors".

They aren't in the movie - they just provide voice. That is hardly the same as putting their acting skills to use proper. If the 3d anim of the marine is behaving like a retard, it doesn't matter whos voice he has, he's still going to look retarded.

All of this has happened before.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-10, 11:06 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

What ever the case is I want a James Earl Jones space marine. Lol

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-10, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Sanguinius View Post
I have to say that everyone seems to be frothing at the mouth with regard to the "actors".

They aren't in the movie - they just provide voice. That is hardly the same as putting their acting skills to use proper. If the 3d anim of the marine is behaving like a retard, it doesn't matter whos voice he has, he's still going to look retarded.
They do the face movements as well as the voice.

EDIT: 400th post woo

Don't give me rep, just poke My Bum ... and then give me rep.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-10, 11:54 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

It will be interesting if the movie tries to explain all the f**ked up shit in the 40k universe to people that happen to see the movie out of curiosity that aren't already a member of the fan base.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-28-10, 09:25 AM
Heresy's Graphics Slave

Syph's Flag is: United Kingdom

I doubt the film will be overly-gory but there's still probably quite a lot they can get away with and maintain a 12A or 15 which I think would be their ideal target anyway if they want a commercial success. It's going to have to be very, very good if it is going to draw new people to see it.

If they did a 18-rate gore-fest, with a theme a bit like Aliens, they'll alienate a huge chunk of revenue which I imagine would be needed if we ever want a sequel for this one.

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-28-10, 11:32 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

I'd rather give myself a full frontal lobe lobotomy than go see this load of poo-poo pancakes. As I said in other threads:

novels --> movies
video-games --> movies
small pieces of plastic --> movies

Some things are just not meant for the movies.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 09:51 AM

ulfson's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post

novels --> movies
video-games --> movies

Some things are just not meant for the movies.
Haha. I think you're theory is a little flawed.

Sure, there have been some great novels to movies (LotR, Legends of the Fall, All Quiet on the Western Front) but there have been some absolute travesties (Twilight series, though that was based on a shit book anyway, Sahara and Running Man to name but three), while computer games to movies are usually total crap - Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil etc etc...

AND, there has yet to be a movie professionally made for any table-top game (well, there were a couple of fan made, low budget attempts - and they suffered from a lack of resources more than anything, and battletech got a cartoon series a while back if I remember correctly), so I can't see what source you'd base this opinion on...

Unless you are totally into terrible game/novel to movie crossovers... which is fine too, I guess...
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 12:25 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfson View Post
Sure, there have been some great novels to movies (LotR, Legends of the Fall, All Quiet on the Western Front) but there have been some absolute travesties (Twilight series, though that was based on a shit book anyway, Sahara and Running Man to name but three), while computer games to movies are usually total crap - Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil etc etc...
I meant more that computer games and board games don't transfer very well to movies. In fact the only example of a good movie based on a 'toy' I've been provided with is the first Transformers movie. Of course some (most IMO) novels still make shitty movies, I don't deny it, I've seen some shockers. At least we agree that video-game movies are a ride on the cock-up express.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 01:00 PM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

The real problem is that the story needs to be good, this has been a real fault of Hollywood in the last ... 50 years or so. Don't get me wrong, there have been some real gems that stand out, however most of what we get is pure shit. If the story is good enough, it will sell. Look at movies like Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, and Saving Private Ryan ... war movies can do very well if the story being told has some substance that draws you in and keeps you interested. Just my thoughts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode