Gal's Thoughts on C:BA (Another looong post) - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-26-10, 08:10 PM

Why should the release of a new codex be about not having things that's in a codex that already exists?

By that logic, GK shouldn't have 90% of the stuff they have, because it's already in C:SM

Rubbish.

There are bucketloads of stuff in C:SM that isn't in the BA 'dex. If anything, they bare very little resemblance of each other. The C:SM loses nothing, just because codex BA has sternguard, too.

All of this has happened before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-26-10, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

(generic) Chapter Masters, (traditional) Honour Guard, Biker Command Squads, Master of the Forge, Hellfire Heavy Bolters on scouts, about a half dozen pieces of cool wargear for captains and masters (aux grenade launchers, digital weapons, hellfire bolts, etc) Relic Blades, Bikes as Troops, special Scout and Vehicle upgrade characters, Venerable Dreads, Ironclad Dreads, Legion of the Damned, Land Speeder Storms, Thunderfire Cannon...

That's at least a dozen things regular SM have, not counting unique HQ characters, that C:BA doesn't have.

Most of the "Awesome new stuff" *replaces* stuff that C:SM had.

I think if you compared them closely you'll find they have about the sane number of units and options (sang guard, jp command squads, reclusiarch, furiosos, libby dreads, sang priests, baal preds, fast tanks, jp troops, Deathco, DC dreads, stormraven)

Seems like there's as many reasons to play C:SM as there are to play C:BA

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #103 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-27-10, 04:10 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

I agree with Gal here. They do have new stuff and old stuff, but all in all, they still are a codex adhereing chapter, the Red Thirst and Black Rage are the biggest differences.

post #104 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-28-10, 01:16 PM

aegius's Flag is: United Kingdom

here, have some +rep. An awesome article.
post #105 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 06:24 AM

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Good review/summary of the new BA book. Much appreciated. I would like to see the F-bombs tonned down a bit, seemed a little unneccesary and probably not the best for our younger gamers.

All in all, very useful.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
post #106 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 03:13 PM

The thing I noticed is how much more entertaining this codex will be for someone who wants to run pre-heresy World Eaters. The differences between this codex and the White Dwarf codex are huge from a flavor perspective in my opinion.

A baby seal walked into a club.
post #107 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimzzen View Post
Much appreciated. I would like to see the F-bombs tonned down a bit, seemed a little unneccesary and probably not the best for our younger gamers.

All in all, very useful.
While I can understand where you're coming from, I'd like to refer you to the forum/website rules. There are some of us who don't consider cursing to be a whole lot beyond a viable aspect of the english language.
:shrugs:

As far as things go, I can see them being a codex chapter and wanting them to still get the codex toys, but getting one of the few "we get this one elites unit that lets us outshoot just about anything else at elites" when you get the other gribblies just seems a bit unfair to a newish codex that is already outshone by the other chapter that isn't represented by C:SM.

As for Eldar bitterness: if that was really the motivating factor, I wouldn't be rushing to the Smurfs defense, would I? I Mean, they have a FA choice that's a closed top av10 fast skimmer that deepstrikes. They can give it a MM and HF for 75 points unless they've change it since C:BT. Theres plenty of bitterness to go around, but it's not really what's coming up when I discuss things that I see as being something that I think they should have done a tad bit differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm probably going to follow my usual Eldar tactic of driving around the table "circling and screaming 'I don't give a fuck' with my windows down and system up" and avoiding anything that looks scary.
Her(?) name may be slightly inapropriate, but she just needs love! And I just need to eat your face!
post #108 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimzzen View Post
Good review/summary of the new BA book. Much appreciated. I would like to see the F-bombs tonned down a bit, seemed a little unneccesary and probably not the best for our younger gamers.

All in all, very useful.
Fair enough.
The general tone of Heresy is that we're primarily an adult community and therefore we treat our members as adults and expect them to behave as adults, even if they're not. Adults curse. As such, we do allow mild and moderate use of explicit language in our posts. I'll agree that "Mephiston: Lord of Skullfucking Death" may be pushing the 'mild and moderate' boundary a little, but he's earned the title and it;s how I always refer to the chief librarian of the blood angels, out of my respect for his power ;-)

That said, I've found that young people are just fine with profanity, they love it even. A popular song at my grade school back when I was a nipper went along the lines of...
very popular. Practically replaced the third grade fight song. And that was before the internet, even.

Their parents, on the other hand...<shrugs> Their parents are adults, fully capable and empowered to make their own decisions about what they want their kids exposed to. It's not my job to raise their little nurglings

But I do respect your views on the subject and appreciate your feedback. I don't personally feel the language content was excessive, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. However, the focus at heresy will always be on fostering the more grown-up atmosphere, rather than making grown adults tiptoe around a handfull of arbitrary words to maintain an illusion that we're kiddie-friendly. That's what makes us cooler than the other boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyklown View Post
As far as things go, I can see them being a codex chapter and wanting them to still get the codex toys, but getting one of the few "we get this one elites unit that lets us outshoot just about anything else at elites" when you get the other gribblies just seems a bit unfair to a newish codex that is already outshone by the other chapter that isn't represented by C:SM.
As I pointed out earlier, there are just as many (or more) things that C:BA doesn't have access to from C:SM as there are new things we have that they don't. Picking on one particular unit doesn't really make sense. You may as well complain that they have scouts, or tactical squads or devastators. They're all standard SM unit types that every codex adherent chapter should have.

When C:SM came out they retconned Sternguard as part of standard codex astartes veterans of the first company. Blood Angels adhere to the codex astartes to a very high degree. To not include them would require further retcon, fluff revision and other such nonsense. Sternguard are just veterans. Every company has veterans. Why would blood angels not have veterans, or why would their veterans only have jump packs and melee weapons when vets are allowed to chose their own armament?

There's just as much reason for BA to have sternguard as there is for them to have chaplains, tactical squad, bikers, or any other standard unit.

Quote:
As for Eldar bitterness: if that was really the motivating factor, I wouldn't be rushing to the Smurfs defense, would I? I Mean, they have a FA choice that's a closed top av10 fast skimmer that deepstrikes. They can give it a MM and HF for 75 points unless they've change it since C:BT. Theres plenty of bitterness to go around, but it's not really what's coming up when I discuss things that I see as being something that I think they should have done a tad bit differently.
Fair enough. I just heard a lot of kvetching about how they;ve stolen this and stolen that from eldar. It was wrong of me to assume your bitterness was entirely eldar-derived rather than a general, all-encompassing bitterness

In any event, I think the codex is well balanced. It's more *interesting* than C:SM, but I don't think more powerful, especially when you tally up the points. We pay for all our cool stuff, at a premium. It's certainly no C:SW where everything was cooler, better *and* cheaper.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #109 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 06:59 PM

Quick question for you Gal,

Do San Guard and Black co have Sargs? I'm thinking Sanguinors ability would be best used on one of those units if they do.

Maybe I missed it, San Priests can or cannot take a JP?

Does Corby have JP access?
post #110 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-29-10, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siphon View Post
Quick question for you Gal,
More than one!

Quote:
Do San Guard and Black co have Sargs? I'm thinking Sanguinors ability would be best used on one of those units if they do.
You mean Death co?
But no. Nippleguard have no sarges, nether do deathco.

Vanguard sternguard and termies do though

Quote:
Maybe I missed it, San Priests can or cannot take a JP?
Yeah, they get the standard IC equipment options, which includes JP and Bike

Quote:
Does Corby have JP access?
Sadly, no. But he's good to toss into a transport or added to a footy squad.

Fortunately, since you can buy other SPs with the same slot it;s not as big a deal to have him away from the front lines. His buddies can buff your front line while corbsy slogs along with the rear guard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode