GW "Getting Started with Planetstrike" Article Goes Live - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default GW "Getting Started with Planetstrike" Article Goes Live

GW have posted up a "Getting Started with Planetstrike" article on their website.

Getting Started with Planetstrike

It's handy for people like me who haven't followed the Planetstrike hype at all.

"Since there are four bastions, each an objective, that's a total of D6+3. Wade duly rolls a 5 and unleashes a terrifying 8 bombardments." Not keen on this. It seems a lot is hinging on a single dice roll.

All in all though - cannot wait for this. No pussy footing around and hiding, this is what the games about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 01:15 PM

World Eater XII's Flag is: United Kingdom

when you say 8 bombardments, is that 8 hit or 8 actual bombardments?

Let the Galaxy Burn.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 02:12 PM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

that is 8 actual bombardments you get for free after depolyment, not 8 hits.
also, there is 6 new missons to play.

however, it seams to me that wonce the defender has set up his castle, there is not a lot for him to do other than react to the attacker. does put you on the back foot slightly, but then the attacker is DS, and we all know how difficult an entire army of DS's is to play (oh look, my terminators have droped in, oh no, there dead damm you terrrain, now where is my dread?).

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez

Last edited by Dafistofmork; 06-26-09 at 02:19 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post

"Since there are four bastions, each an objective, that's a total of D6+3. Wade duly rolls a 5 and unleashes a terrifying 8 bombardments." Not keen on this. It seems a lot is hinging on a single dice roll.
I'm convinced this is a typo, I only see 3 bastions, and its D6+3 not D6+4. I agree with you Jez, an extra D6 could really swing the battle either way. A 6 is just ridiculous in a small battle and a 1 just wouldn't be enough. A better system would be extra shots depending on the size of the battle, say +1 for 1k points and then increasing it by 1 for every 500 points after that.

But then these expansions were always about simplicity not practicality.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 02:44 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

But you get one for every bastion...saying the game depends on this one roll is like saying games are decided by who gets first turn...There are extra shots depending on the size of the game. Also, the barrages are only S9, and AP3 - they won't kill that many Terminators, or guys in Fortified buildings...like, say, Bastions.

The Defender can also choose to keep the whole army in Reserve, making the barrage worthless...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 02:45 PM

tu_shan82's Flag is: Australia

Good find Jez, it helps better your understanding of Planetstrike seeing a turn played out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 02:58 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like it but not to sure on the whole deepstrike then assault. I know with out it , it could be hard for the attacker but with so many units able to deepstrike now and in PS with Elites being able to I can see some problems for the defender. I suppose this is outwieghed by the defender being able to hold his units in reserver but not sure I like that maybe just because it sort of goes against the attack and defend.if the defender can just hold everything back and that counter charge changing the attacking the the defender.

I am looking forward to this as with my daemon army I can field all 6 of my Daemon Princes. Although the idea of 6 Daemon Princes being in one battle does seem a bit unfluffy.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 12:31 AM

Franko1111's Flag is: Australia

is it just me or are there a hint for deamons in there on the example of play page with an awesome daemon prince

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 12:44 AM

Yeah I saw that, the daemon prince looks awesome!!

"Gloriam Imperator! The Firstborn Stand!"
Click for Vostroya and the Emperor!

Into the Fires of Battle, Unto the Anvils of War!
Click Me!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 12:11 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Of course, had the example used the Scorched Skies strategem, there would actually have been at least 9 blasts...The example also wasn't clear that these blasts never cause Morale checks. And always scatter full distance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode