Stompa anyone? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 06:46 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

I like these they look very much like the old Armorcast ones so this will fit in nicely with the armorcast one I have already. I'm not to fond of the head so that will get changed. I will get a couple of these to fill out my stompa mob as scratch building several of these is a pain plus I have a gargant to build.

I personally am very surprised GW made a kit for the ork stompa. I would have never though they would make a super heavy orks so a big thank you to GW from this big green lover.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 07:26 PM
!!FailHammer!! Podcaster

Death Shroud's Flag is: England

I'll definately be buying at least one of these as well as a Battlewagon and Trukk for some converting. Wonder if Forgeworld will be doing any interesting additions to the kit?
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-08, 11:22 PM

Looks like a very orky santa to me with that red paint job.Doesn't look like it would go very fast either, yelling red ones go fasta!! as snails overtake it. Doesnt look very good

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-09, 03:50 AM

Lord of Rebirth's Flag is: Canada

I'm not so much into orks myself so my opinion is probably invalid but it seems to weedy to me. The stompas in the apoc book somehow look far better though one seems to be the same as this one too if that makes any sense.

I'd actually really like to scratch build some stompas if only I had a reason and I bet I could probably scratch build them for a third or less than the cost of what GW will charge.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-09, 06:38 AM

Critta's Flag is: United Kingdom

In my opinion it's not a terrible model, but gargants look much better when scratch built anyways.... the whole personal touch always makes it

Really need to get round to an ork army at some point once I finish my billion projects I currently have on!
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-09, 07:53 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of rebirth View Post
I'm not so much into orks myself so my opinion is probably invalid but it seems to weedy to me. The stompas in the apoc book somehow look far better though one seems to be the same as this one too if that makes any sense.

I'd actually really like to scratch build some stompas if only I had a reason and I bet I could probably scratch build them for a third or less than the cost of what GW will charge.
not if you want it to look good. My buddy and i figured out the cost of scratch building one, and it is prohibitive, since it needs to be reinforced on the inside to prevent it from collapsing under its own weight. if it costs the same as the baneblade, you won't be able to scratchbuild one for less.

check out the entropic reaper or remain a vagrant on the sidewalk of life.
[http://entropomancer.blogspot.com/
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 12:43 PM

eric's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of mortarion View Post
not if you want it to look good. My buddy and i figured out the cost of scratch building one, and it is prohibitive, since it needs to be reinforced on the inside to prevent it from collapsing under its own weight. if it costs the same as the baneblade, you won't be able to scratchbuild one for less.
Depends entirely on your level of skill. I have so much plasticard just lying about the place, I don't know what to do with it. I don't even play Orks and I've been considering scratching a stompa up for a while now. All that re-inforcement isn't as difficult as it at first seems. You could copy a couple of great ideas from the net anyway, such as building it around a Mr. Potato Head (http://www.irondogstudios.com/images...mek_tater.html) which neatly bypasses the whole structuring problem anyway. That's the beauty of scratch-building; it's pretty damn cheap if you do it right.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 01:23 PM

Lord of Rebirth's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of mortarion View Post
I don't know what you use to scratch build stuff but if scratching something like a stoma costs you more than a Baneblade I think it is fair to say you are doing it wrong. I can buy a box of plasticard as big as a microwave for less than a Baneblade and that would probably weigh more than a full army. @[email protected]

I guess it would depends on how you go about it. If you are thinking using parts from other kits it would be expensive but that is kit bashing where as I'm thinking I'd use something else as a base like maybe a sour creme container or something else I could randomly find around the hosue which costs me next to nothing then a pile of plasticard and some other random parts and it just need a couple orky guns to be done.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 08:12 PM

Not sure if anyone has already posted it up here yet but the stompa is to be released 7th March and costs the same as a baneblade. The new baneblade variant is out same day.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 09:59 PM

Lash Machine's Flag is: England

I have orks and drew up a design for a stompa based around an MDF structure which would then be covered with card or plasti card for the body. I was contmeplating sculting the head out of polysterene but the difficult bits to get right and look good would be the weapons.

With the plastic kit coming out I have put the idea on ice just to save time and effort, especially at £60.00. With scratch building one you would end up spending in the region of half that on small add ons and bitz to make it resemble the data sheet. In my opion it resembles the classic epic gargants far better than the ones in the book and is a great time saver.

I will buy one, with out the wife looking.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode