Codex: Astra Militarum, and Battlefield in a Box - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-17, 04:08 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-17, 05:46 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Mordian rules look kinda lame in my opinion, compared to the Catachans. The bonuses to Overwatch are nice, but only worth anything if the enemy actually intends to charge you - and a dedicated assault unit can still charge one squad and then pull in any others nearby through positioning. Which is especially bound to happen to a vehicle that tries to use the rule, given the positioning requirements.

The Mordian-specific order makes up for the lackluster Doctrine somewhat, but won't help them deal with the rank and file...

In short, Mordians will work very well against some enemies (hi there Blood Angels) and not so great against anyone else.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-17, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Mordian rules look kinda lame in my opinion, compared to the Catachans. The bonuses to Overwatch are nice, but only worth anything if the enemy actually intends to charge you - and a dedicated assault unit can still charge one squad and then pull in any others nearby through positioning. Which is especially bound to happen to a vehicle that tries to use the rule, given the positioning requirements.

The Mordian-specific order makes up for the lackluster Doctrine somewhat, but won't help them deal with the rank and file...

In short, Mordians will work very well against some enemies (hi there Blood Angels) and not so great against anyone else.

True enough. I think I'm used to playing against the same armies all the time (BA, Tau, Khorne) and only run Templars for games over 1000pts really. Overwatch has always hurt on the charge, particularly from the pesky tau xenos.

I can see a few people using the slow advance of tanks to their advantage... time to get those lascannons out!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-17, 05:11 PM

Now that we've gotten spoilers for the Vostroyans, Valhallans and Steel Legion... The Mordians got gypped.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-17, 09:11 PM
General Eric's Flag is: USA

Default Catachans

I collect and play Catachans and understand why people are surprised to see them get a buff related to vehicles. But this is in theme with there play style, the average themed Jungle Fighter army will consist of a rather large numbers of Vets/infantry and supplemented by light armor. It is less common to see heavy vehicles in this army so they gave them a buff, this make that single or few Leman Russ hit harder. Of course the people who just wanna maximize stats from points and go away from a fluffy army will run a Catachan Spearhead of Leman Russ and honestly, I am not even upset. Time for Cadia to take a back seat to the real soldiers!!!!LOL.
Brother Dextus likes this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-17, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Eric View Post
Of course the people who just wanna maximize stats from points and go away from a fluffy army will run a Catachan Spearhead of Leman Russ and honestly, I am not even upset. Time for Cadia to take a back seat to the real soldiers!!!!LOL.

If I see anyone running a catachan tank regiment, they gonna wish they got caught by a face eater which then got eaten by a devil which then ate a barking toad!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-17, 02:38 PM

tirnaog's Flag is: USA

The battlefield boxset looks good.
Actually surprised by the price from GW.
But why couldnt it be 6x4? strange size they decided on.

Hello Scum!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-17, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirnaog View Post
But why couldnt it be 6x4? strange size they decided on.
It was initially announced as 6x4, but it appears they fucked up in the same way as they did with the First Strike and Know No Fear mats
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-17, 04:51 PM

The Catachan buff is to big guns, and the way it's being received really only shows those are currently rated as being horribly unreliable. Which they are - and I say that speaking as a Sisters player who's been playing around 1d6 shots for years with Exorcists.

That having been said, Catachans will hardly have a lock on the tanks - I fully expect Vostroyans for Leman Russ Demolishers and Punishers (30" Demolisher cannons? Sign me up!), as well as Cadian Executioners. Valhallans and Armageddon tanks

The Superheavy Auxiliary is going to be especially interesting... 400ish points worth of Baneblade variant. You can't afford that to whiff, so do you go for Catachan to avoid having to use rerolls? Or load up on sponsons and go Valhallan so you can take 20 wounds before it becomes any less effective? Mordian so it's nearly impossible to assault? There's something to be said for nearly every doctrine...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode