8th Edition Rumours - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-25-17, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Oops, meant just to hit rolling now I can't remember how to edit the previous post :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-25-17, 07:04 PM

Default https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/25/warhammer-40000-unit-profiles/

Warhammer 40,000: Unit Profiles

Today is a big one guys – we’re talking about how profiles are going to work in the new edition.
The profiles for the current version of the game have been a part of Warhammer 40,000 for over a decade now, and for the most part they worked pretty well, though there were always a few anomalies or things that didn’t work quite as you’d expect.
In the new edition, the rules team were keen to have the profile work harder – to better distinguish between the different units so that, for example, Eldar will run faster than Guardsmen, and Hormagaunts run faster than both.

One big change is vehicles. These now use the same profile system as everyone else. As you’ll see though, their stat lines are much above what you might expect from a standard infantry trooper. Wounds, for example, are not capped at 10, so don’t be surprised if you see larger vehicles like Land Raiders and Imperial Knights with dozens of wounds.
This means that there is no differentiation between monsters and vehicles, so you now have a standard system to compare between, for example, a Carnifex vs a Dreadnought. Speaking of Carnifexes, large monsters like them also have a lot more wounds now. There are also no Super Heavy Vehicle rules, as such. With the stats going above 10, the system is now an increasing scale, which means models that previously fell just shy of super-heavy status, the Gorkanaut for example, can now punch at the appropriate weight, and become much more survivable.
So, without further ado – let’s look at some stats!
Here, we have 4 examples from the most iconic Warhammer 40,000 army – the Space Marines. You’ll see that the stats are still recognisably Warhammer 40,000, but with just a few changes. We’ve gained a Movement stat in exchange for a Initiative stat. With charging units now striking first, movement and co-ordination of your assault army becomes a big factor. You can also see that WS and BS are now standard rolls (Ballistic Skill sort of always was), though you can expect modifiers to both of these stats from in-game effects.
Strength and Toughness are still with us, and still use an opposing value principle (so much higher Strength will still wound on 2+, low Strength will wound on a 6+), and these aren’t capped at 10 any more either. Wounds is a big one. Expect a lot of models to get more of these. As you can see here, the Terminator has twice what he has now, and Guilliman has more too.
Don’t worry though – stuff still dies quickly, with powerful weapons dishing out multiple damage with each hit – but you will, as always, need to shoot the right gun at the right target to get the best effects.
So there you have it guys.
Lots of new stuff in there.
Take a day to digest all that, and we’ll be back tomorrow with some info on the weapon stat lines you’ll be using in the new edition.
post #63 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-25-17, 07:04 PM

post #64 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-25-17, 07:11 PM

Roganzar's Flag is: USA

I like how this looks. Straight forward to understand and you only have to consult one other chart, (to wound).
Now, I want to see the Knight stat line.

01010100 01101111 01100001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110110 01100101 01110010 01111001 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100001

Forge World Sidera Maris project.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar project

Horus Heresy project
post #65 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-25-17, 07:13 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I might actually field vehicles and walkers again with these changes.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #66 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-25-17, 08:12 PM
Feed

Initiative value is gone. It's all well and good to say charging units strike first, but what about subsequent rounds of combat? Makes me wonder if being locked in combat will be a thing anymore, or if it's gonna be a case of owning player dictates charges each round.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #67 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-25-17, 08:30 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Warhammer TV is back with 3 days more great content this week, including an Adepta Sororitas army making an appearance on Friday.

Join us from Wednesday over at https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer
Could this mean plastic Sisters, at long last? I vaguely remember rumours of plastic Sisters in a starter box.
post #68 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-25-17, 09:43 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I'm wondering how the lack of templates will work, especially I cases of partially obscured units or shielded units like knight's. L 7 for marines is a bit poo.

Like everything else I'll have to wait to see the whole thing before I claim to rage quit and run out and buy a heap of new minis and cry myself to sleep in a fit of self loathing

post #69 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-26-17, 01:20 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

I'd like to see a more in depth explanation behind the removal of initiative besides, "we done chucked in something else."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man78 View Post
L 7 for marines is a bit poo. Like everything else I'll have to wait to see the whole thing before I claim to rage quit and run out and buy a heap of new minis and cry myself to sleep in a fit of self loathing
If that thing about crumbling is right, models are going to be dropping like fudging flies.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 04-26-17 at 03:02 AM.
post #70 of 646 (permalink) Old 04-26-17, 03:28 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Hrmm. We really need those weapon statlines, because we've already been teased with save modifiers... and if something like a Bolter makes an armour save just one point worse that Terminator is still going to die a lot quicker than he does now, two wounds or not.

Movement, they're already taking advantage of it being back by varying speeds a bit in the army, which is nice to see.

WS and BS translations seem straightforward, it's pretty much the old BS table but without having to mentally do BS-to-dice-roll.

Strength looks the same as always, Toughness OTOH... While it looks the same for the models that already had that value, I think the Dread just got a lot more vulnerable to small arms (especially if they come with a save modifier). Still, Toughness 7 is nothing to sneeze at, especially with 8 wounds backing it up. Will note that unless there's a modifier for getting shot in the back vehicle facing went the way of the dodo, and vehicle maneuvering will take less thinking and have a vastly lowered skill cap.

Attacks look unchanged, though as @Serpion5 noted I being gone might mean no more locked in combat. That would make it impossible to keep horribly dangerous shooty units (hi there Tau, Imperial Knight!) from shooting, which would make those easier to use and again lower the skill cap considerably.

Leadership obviously functions differently, so going to ignore it for now.

EDIT: As per Adepticon, Leadership now has you roll 1D6 and add the number of casualties you have taken this turn. If that value is greater than your Leadership, you take wounds equal to the difference. Seems easy enough at something like the end of a CC phase, but I don't know what else will get it triggered, or whether Guilliman's 10 Ld can be used (can he join the Tactical squad now? Can any character join ANY unit? Too much info missing).

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Last edited by Shandathe; 04-26-17 at 03:48 AM.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode