8th Edition Rumours - Page 31 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-15-17, 10:24 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
and some will be outright hostile (Space Wolves, Dark Angels).
The DA, definitely, but considering the state of the SWs right now, I think they might be quite happy with any kind of reinforcements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-15-17, 11:03 PM

Roganzar's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
New Marines aren't really new. It's the exact same idea that Corax had in the HH novel series, improve on the Big E's design to create a caste of enhanced Space Marines. He called them Raptors and while yes they were in general faster and stronger than the average Space Marine, that was only a baseline. An above average or exceptional individual (Ventris, Dante, Lysander, etc) probably won't be outclassed by them, while even the idea of average is up to interpretation. These new marines don't even seem that much better in-game, yes they are a touch more durable in some ways but as the feature on them says they aren't immune to stuff that say a Terminator would be. Just because the Primaris are improved on the original idea doesn't make them infinitely better, it just means that on average a Primaris will be able to surpass the effort of a regular marine, but none of that accounts for the personal skill or heroism of either individual or for the circumstances or context of the conflict around them.

Liking the artwork and the design behind these Primaris boys, we'll see how the 40k universe reacts to them when they make their grand debut. I imagine some Chapters will love them (Ultramarines, Salamanders, Imperial Fists), some will be ambivalent (Iron Hands, White Scars) and some will be outright hostile (Space Wolves, Dark Angels). Only time will tell.

LotN
I was just coming on to point out the Raven Guard thing from the Horus Heresy. *shakes fist in general direction pointlessly* You just had to go and beat me to it. And now I'm wondering about kit-bashing these guys into Raven Guard Raptors.

Anyways, how resistant the Wolves and the Dark Angels are I think depends on if this is a case of here you go have some dudes vs. here is an awesome new technique to get fast reinforcements that are tougher and stronger. You know, how they spin it in the fluffy fluff. The Wolves will probably be grudgingly receptive to both at this point and the DA will be resistant to new dudes thrust into their ranks, not wanting to share their secrets and all. If, however, its simply the technique than they might be more open to the idea.

01010100 01101111 01100001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110110 01100101 01110010 01111001 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100001

Forge World Sidera Maris project.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar project

Horus Heresy project
post #303 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-15-17, 11:50 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man78 View Post
About this dick rubbing camp, is it invitation only or can anybody stop by, and yes I'm inquiring on behalf of a friend
Slaanesh welcomes you.

----

Also remember that Thar Ariak Hraldir of the Space Wolves was actively trying to remove their flaw from the Canis Helix, via the Tempering, in order to create a legit "Legion" size force of chapters surrounding the Eye of Terror...and then Magnus came by and said "NOPE" and wrecked that.

----

I'm not sure how much I enjoy the fluff of these new primaris marines, I prefer that Crawl just (re?)perfected the art of creating Adeptus Astartes that had begun to deteriorate since the end of the Great Crusade.

Thinking of it like this, then all of what we know of as Adeptus Astates in M41 is simply a shadow of what they used to be. Which I think is very plausible given how mutated/corrupted the gene-seed, of each "legion", has become.

Also if we wish to push the envelope this way perhaps the gene-seed of the traitor legions were cleansed of whatever mark Chaos left upon them so that future chapters carrying the gene-seed of Fulgrim, Perturabo, Curze, Angron, Mortarion, Magnus, Horus, Lorgar, and Alpharius can be used once again - since the geen-seed vaults on Terra is stocked full of these.

Lastly perhaps even resurrections of the II and XI legions could return...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

post #304 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-16-17, 02:17 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

New Deathguard leak spotted over on B&C
8ed: New Death Guard leaked - =][= 8th EDITION DISCUSSION =][= - The Bolter and Chainsword

Word is that these guys are as big as a Custodian, bigger than the new Thousand Sons and Primaris Marines.
If true, then Papa Nurgle sure has roided them up on Warp Juice.

The old guard of marines will surely have a rapidly developing inferiority complex now!
ntaw likes this.
post #305 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-16-17, 04:04 PM

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-4/

New Warhammer 40,000: The Indomitus Crusade & the Dark Imperium

Yesterday, we saw a new type of Space Marine – a Primaris Space Marine – clad in Mk X armour and wielding a deadly bolt rifle. Developed on orders from the Primarch Roboute Guilliman 100 centuries past, Primaris Space Marines have been diligently developed and perfected by the priesthood of Mars during the long intervening millennia.
But to what purpose?
Perhaps an optimist, but never a fool, Guilliman learned from the Horus Heresy, and he foresaw that the forces of Chaos would never relent in their aim to bring the Imperium low. He anticipated that devastating times would once again engulf the galaxy and knew that warriors resilient enough to stand against them would be needed as never before. That time has surely come.

As the Imperium literally comes apart, and the forces of Chaos run rampant across the galaxy, Guilliman launches his Indomitus Crusade. We’ve heard that name before, but what does it mean? The new Warhammer 40,000 has this to say on it:
“Roboute Guilliman gathered his new armada. Along with elements of the Adeptus Custodes, a small contingent of the Silent Sisterhood, and a vast war host of Primaris Space Marines from many newly founded Chapters, the Primarch set a winding course. Strike forces from over a dozen pre-existing Chapters of Space Marines, led by the Imperial Fists, joined the fleet. Thus began many new legends as Guilliman travelled to aid beleaguered planets, breaking sieges and sweeping away invaders to bring hope back to the desperate defenders. It was not long before word began to spread, as all those planets that could receive astropathic messages hailed the return of a hero out of myth. Once more, one of the demigods of the past fought for the Imperium of Mankind.”

So, that sounds pretty promising for the Imperium. Well, maybe. The scale of the task is monumental. Following the emergence of the Cicatrix Maledictum, no world in the Imperium has been untouched by war, and there are many thousands of planets that cry out for aid and reinforcement. And that’s on the Terran side of the Great Rift!
Travel through the Cicatrix Maledictum is all but impossible, but sporadic contact has been made, through temporary warp-routes, to a few of the best-defended worlds on the other side – and things are not looking good.
On the far side of the galaxy-spanning warp storm, things have quite literally gone to hell.

There, the light of the Astronomicon is obscured behind a psychic maelstrom of nightmares and the entire region has been dubbed ‘Imperium Nihilus’, or the Dark Imperium.
Amongst the besieged Imperial worlds in this Dark Imperium are many Space Marine Chapter Planets, including Baal, home of the Blood Angels. Things were already looking pretty grim for the sons of Sanguinius, with a hive fleet closing in on them, and now it looks even bleaker. Cut off from the light of Terra, the Angels and their Successors stand against the might of Hive Fleet Leviathan, hoping they can withstand the storm.

Yipes, the Blood Angels sound like they are in trouble. This isn’t the first time they have triumphed against impossible odds though, can they make it out alive? We’ll have to see. We’ll be back tomorrow with more news on rules in the new Warhammer 40,000, as we take a look at teleporting and reserves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intriguing stuff! So the Primaris have had plenty of battles already to earn their experience and stripes. But it does sound -terribly- ominous- for the cut off, 'Dark Imperium' Definitely plenty of renewed potential for conflict and interesting stories with the Cicatrix Maledictum splitting the imperium in twain.

Edit:
Came to think over it. Guiliman is pretty much leading a Space Marine Legion in all but name on his new Crusade.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 05-16-17 at 04:13 PM.
post #306 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-16-17, 04:17 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Came to think over it. Guiliman is pretty much leading a Space Marine Legion in all but name on his new Crusade.
Legion-sized gatherings of space marines all over the place. Gulliballz' crusade, (almost) every BA successor at Baal with whatever scraps of the BA are left, and there's tons of marines twiddling their thumbs around the Eye apparently.

Epic events inbound I'd say.

EDIT: That DG marine doesn't have enough bells, and where's all the whistles?! Jeeze.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #307 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-16-17, 04:39 PM

Ive been thinking, this new crusade in progress looks to definitely be pushing the timeline past 999m40 at last. So I think its pretty much a given that the floodgates for timeadvancement will be thrown wide open in 8th edition. Especially once authors shifts to churn out stories set post Gathering Storm and the arrival of the Cicatrix Maledictum. A grand event for a new era.

Will GW be transitioning to Warhammer 41k soon or just capping it to Warhammer? Since Warhammer Fantasy is dead and gone and replaced with Age of Sigmar.
That draws another amusing paralel. Guiliman and the Primaris, giving it as Sigmar and the Stormcast comming to help the beleaguered Mortal Realms. At least they didnt wait as long as Sigmar did. Striking out while theres still significant leftovers to save.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 05-16-17 at 04:49 PM.
post #308 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-17-17, 04:32 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

New Warhammer 40,000: Tactical Reserves

In the new Warhammer 40,000, as today, keeping some units in reserve is still a very important and potentially powerful tactical tool.
There are some pretty fundamental changes to how they work though. For a start, not every unit can be placed in reserve, so most of your army will usually deploy on the battlefield at the start of the game. This means that they will be contributing to the battle from turn one, but will also be a target for the enemy Ė so youíll have to work out how to best utilise those early turns.

Quite a few units still have the option to join the game mid-battle though, and they use a variety of mystical or technological means to do so. While there are no longer universal special rules like Deep Strike or Outflank, many of these abilities will have common themes Ė so you can still expect units like Terminators to teleport down, Genestealer Cults units to ambush and Ork Kommandos to use their kunniní to sneak up on the foe.
As an example, letís take a look at the special rule for a Trygon, a unit famed for its unusual method of deployment, tunneling up under the enemy army:

So we can see that this will be quite a powerful ability. Not only delivering the Trygon into the heart of the enemy force, but also an accompanying unit of Tyranids. And thereís nothing stopping them from charging this turn either! Though that 9″ distance to the enemy (which is common to a lot of units with similar abilities) will mean that the averages on the dice will be against you for that 2D6 charge distance. (You can always use your Command Re-roll of courseÖ)

In matched play, there are a few additional restrictions to deployment methods like this, which you might imagine, can get very powerful very fast when used by multiple units across a single army. Matched play games use a special mission rule called Tactical Reserves.

This rule helps limit some of the more extreme cases of withholding reserves in competitive games. So, while itís totally possible to have an all Deathwing Terminator army, for example, you canít use the teleport rules on all of them in matched play. (Though we do think a narrative game where the entire Deathwing teleports in on the first turn to take a Chaos bastion would be pretty awesome.)

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #309 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-17-17, 04:39 PM

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...rukhari-may17/

Continuing our Faction Focus series for the new Warhammer 40,000, Frankie returns to tell us about what we can expect from the Dark Eldar, or the Drukhari, as they call themselves.
Frankie is one of the team who runs some of the biggest Warhammer 40,000 events in the world, including the Las Vegas Open and the recently announced SoCal Open. He’s also been part of the playtesting team for the new edition and has a particular soft spot for the forces of Commorragh.

Drukhari, also known as the Dark Eldar, are absolutely my favourite faction due to their background. They are like space pirates of the roughest sort mixed with a dash of maniacal arena combatants sprinkled with the bizarre and terrifying Haemonculus Covens. This forms a potent cocktail of evil which I’m sure we can all agree is awesome! They constantly fight amongst themselves for political power and to gain status by any means possible. When not stabbing one another in the back, they stage horrific raids into realspace for slaves and treasure. They must constantly seek ways to preserve their lifespans, as they do not have the protection of the infinity circuit used by their craftworld kin to shield their spirits from Slaanesh when they die.
Drukhari do not currently get a lot of attention on the top competitive tables. They can struggle to make it into close combat and often get cut down by overwatch before they get to swing. Their shooting, while potentially deadly, relies heavily on their Poisoned weapons which suffer against many armies.

What I want is Raiders flying around with guys shooting poisoned needles out of the back. I want close combat units that are feared and some cool (hopefully extra dirty!) tricks I can use to gain (unfair) advantage during battle as is befitting of a low down dirty space pirate!
In the new Warhammer 40,000, Raiders are exactly what they should be. They are blisteringly fast, open topped transports that deliver warriors where you need them but remain a little fragile. Open Topped vehicles allow you to shoot out of them still, which is a massive benefit. You can even fire Pistol weapons out of the vehicle when it is engaged in close combat! However, Raiders are nowhere near the paper thin deathtraps they could be in the past. Venoms, as well, are absolutely fantastic vehicles, and due to the changes to the core rules of the game, all of their weapons now have at least a chance to hurt even resilient vehicles on a 6 to wound (representing that lucky hit through a vision slit, or punching through a weakened section of armour).

These vehicles are restored to glory, allowing you to zoom around the battlefield and get your troops into key positions. They are also armed with strong weapons beyond splinter cannons. You can have a dark lance, which will give you serious punch to open other people’s transports or take down large creatures with a strength of 8, an AP of -4 and D6 damage. Or you can go with the disintegrator cannon, which has three shots that all do 2 damage at AP -3.
With a toughness value and wounds, these vehicles are also much more durable. Lastly, these vehicles have a 5+ invulnerable save versus shooting attacks which will help when getting blasted by heavy weapons, and they ignore the -1 penalty to shooting heavy weapons after moving, keeping them agile. You can imagine how potent Ravagers will be with these rules!
What about some of those iconic melee units, such as Incubi? They are my absolute favourite unit in the entire Drukhari range, and they are now truly frightening combatants. They have a klaive that hits at +1 Strength and AP -3… yikes that’s going to hurt! The leader of a unit is a beast as well, gaining +2 damage if he rolls a 6 to wound. This unit will be dominating their Fight phases in the new Warhammer 40,000. When you pair them up with some of the characters for added bonuses, such as the man himself, Drazhar, you will have a devastating combo. I am happily painting more for my army, now!

Wyches will be seen in greater numbers too. Honestly, this might be one of the top 3 most improved units in all of the new edition! They get the 4+ invulnerable save in the Fight phase, just like before, and can now dish out some damage in combat. Their hydra gauntlets and razorflails are fantastic, giving their attacks -1 AP. But their real talent is in the No Escape special rule.

When an enemy infantry unit in melee tries to Fall Back out of combat with Wyches, they can only do so if they win a roll-off with you. That is so incredibly powerful because it will protect your close combat units from getting shot and allows you to kill whatever you are locked in combat with. Units like the T’au Crisis Suits I was telling you about last time will no longer be able to simply leave combat and shoot you to bits! The Wyches have been a lot of fun to play with and will be accompanying my Incubi on the tabletop for a vicious one-two combo.

I hope all you Drukhari players are as excited to put your armies on the tables as I am. There are so many more exciting developments to talk about with this faction but so little time. I didn’t even get to touch on Haemonculus Covens! But all of that will come in time.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like the Deldar got a major juice up to be the threat they rightly deserve to be. Something tells me that the Dark Imperium is in for a whole world of hurt now..
post #310 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-18-17, 03:27 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

New post about "vehicles" just went live...

Quote:
Today we take a look at how vehicles work in the new Warhammer 40,000.

The best way to show you some of the changes is with an example. Because we havenít really seen anything from the Necron dynasties yet, weíre going to look at the Annihilation Barge, staple fire-support gun platform of the undying legions:

So this thing looks VERY different in the new Warhammer 40,000.

For a start, itís using the same stats as everyone else, so armour values on the various facings are out, and instead, we have Toughness, Wounds and an Armour Save, making it more comparable in durability to other large monsters and massive beasts of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Also, itís got Attacks and Strength! So it can fight (albeit inexpertly) in combat. This represents it literally ramming or smashing into enemy units.

Some dedicated combat vehicles (commonly what used to be Walkers), will have melee weapons too, like the classic Dreadnought power fist, but most vehicles will need to make do with crushing enemies under tracks or crumpling them beneath anti-gravitic engines. Generally, these attacks will have a poor to hit roll (5+ or 6+) but high strength Ė because if a Land Raider runs you over, youíll feel it. There are exceptions of course Ė Ork vehicles can be kitted out with some pretty deadly close combat options, which now function just like any other specialist close combat weapon: get hit by a Deathroller, for example, and prepare to be a pancake.

Vehicles will be affected by all the other new rules weíve talked about too, so they will be able to move as any other model would, including advancing. They shoot just like everyone else does, including (with a few exceptions) -1 to hit with heavy weapons if they move. They can even charge! which effectively replaces the Tank Shock rules, except ANY vehicle can do it and they then fight just like any other unit in the Fight phase.

Generally, youíll find that vehicles still fill the same roles in your army as they always have, but without so many exceptions to the core rules of the game. Youíll find them to be very durable, probably more so than they are today, and best used in coordination with infantry and where their own specialisations can be used to full effect.
Personally, it doesn't look much has been released in regards to "new" today.

On a side note, vehicles can now charge... So I can totally see a Rhino/APC charging a unit first to take the overwatch and then have the choppy unit come in unopposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode