8th Edition Rumours - Page 24 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #231 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-11-17, 09:13 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Anyone notice that a power sword is now essentially ap 2 (-3 rend) while a power axe is ap3 (-2 rend)?
While I can't comment on whatever rend is, strength going up while armour modifier goes down makes sense without Initiative or the Unwieldy rule. I see it as representative of the defender having a subtly better chance of a last second blow deflection because the weapon is slower moving but stronger.

Willing to bet standard power weapon profiles will be the same but only do 1 damage instead of D3 (since I'm assuming the Force power no longer exists).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-11-17, 09:35 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Those are force weapons rather than power weapons. That might make a difference.
If i had to make a guess, i'd say that the only difference between power and Force are 1 dmg against D3 dmg

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #233 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-12-17, 12:33 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

*Eyes Rubrics* They're definitely more elite than normal Tactical Marines. It looks like the unit got hit with the nerfbat a bit overall as while that is a scary set of -AP weapons, it's nowhere near as lethally dangerous to MEQ as they used to be. This is offset by the fact that they'll be more effective against TEQ than they were. With the other weapon profiles we've seen, this edition appears to attempt to restore the Armour Save to its proper level. I think the new balance will be an interesting one.

@Roganzar , give them a few days to put an actual Psyker up. This guy barely qualifies. With EVERY Psyker getting (proper) Smite, the Aspiring Sorceror is effectively Master Level 1/2 now. I suspect the full Sorcerors will kick all sorts of Psychic ass, but it seems "Aspiring Sorceror" now emphasizes the 'Aspiring'.

Which is probably a good thing, given that he's a Troops sergeant equivalent...

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.

post #234 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-12-17, 03:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roganzar View Post
I agree Thousand Sons' dust golems should not be affected by morale.
Its not going to be nearly as bad as some people are, or will, make it out to be.

Just some quick math, of a unit of 10 space marines fighting a unit of Thousand Sons in close combat; with the sergeant using a power sword.

Assuming the sergeant has 2 attacks, 1.34 hit, .67 wound, the invulnerable save is better at this point so .45 unsaved wounds.

9 attacks from the remaining marines, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 unsaved wound.

Thats 1-2 losses, meaning the Thousand Sons would not lose anyone to morale.

Against something that chews through a squads ranks, I'd sooner assume the losses from morale are more of that squads number being taken out, not fleeing. Imagine a unit of Thousand Sons vs Guilliman on a murderous rampage; he's not letting anyone get away.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #235 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-12-17, 06:18 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Its not going to be nearly as bad as some people are, or will, make it out to be.

Just some quick math, of a unit of 10 space marines fighting a unit of Thousand Sons in close combat; with the sergeant using a power sword.

Assuming the sergeant has 2 attacks, 1.34 hit, .67 wound, the invulnerable save is better at this point so .45 unsaved wounds.

9 attacks from the remaining marines, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 unsaved wound.

Thats 1-2 losses, meaning the Thousand Sons would not lose anyone to morale.

Against something that chews through a squads ranks, I'd sooner assume the losses from morale are more of that squads number being taken out, not fleeing. Imagine a unit of Thousand Sons vs Guilliman on a murderous rampage; he's not letting anyone get away.
that is only the melee. if in the previous phase they got shoot by the same unit of marines they would have lose another 1-2 models. and even the chance of losing 1-2 extra models due to "morale" is disturbing, to me. Unjustified. But, oh well, we'll house rule.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #236 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-12-17, 06:49 AM
Feed

I suggest you play a few games with the full rules intact before you go crazy with the houseruling. You may find that you inadvertently unbalance a game quite significantly by tinkering with the core rules to such a degree.

I'm personally more in favour of simply imagining a plausible scenario for why it applies, rather than taking it as "morale" at face value. For Rubric Marines a lapse in the sorcerer's own control makes sense easily enough. A ritual is required to re-inter these individuals once they have been destroyed, so it is entirely feasible that a moment of uncertainty after heavy casualties could cause the sorcerer to momentarily lose focus. It need not be because of actual fear at all.

Necrons are a different matter. I have no problem with necrons suffering morale, as most necrons of Immortal rank and above are aware enough to remember fear. Even the basic necron warriors still possess a tiny glimmer of self awareness, so it isn't impossible for their fractured mind to periodically succumb to the terror of their own long since lost mortality.
koosbeer, Khorne's Fist and Fallen like this.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #237 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-12-17, 11:44 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Agreed, the main thing to keep in mind with morale is that while you'll be losing additional men/women/others it's not necessarily due to them running away. Much like normal casualties, they might not be entirely dead either - we just note they're out of the fight for one reason or another.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #238 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-12-17, 12:39 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: Eldar

Reece helps runs some of the biggest independent Warhammer 40,000 events in the world, including the Las Vegas Open and the recently announced Southern California Open. Like Frankie, he’s also been part of the playtest team for the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, putting in hundreds of hours to make sure this new edition will be great for all you gamers out there (Thanks Reece!).

He knows what he’s talking about when it comes to Warhammer 40,000, so let’s see what he has so say…

Reece: The enigmatic Aeldari of the Craftworlds have been granted new hope thanks to the birth of Ynnead, but what should we expect from them in new Warhammer 40,000 in regards to playstyle?

The Craftworld Aeldari, one of the most iconic races in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium, have had a long and storied journey through the history of the game. They have been waging a battle for survival since before the Emperor was a gleam in humanity’s collective eye, and they have been forced to do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal.

Eldar currently bring a plethora of powerful tools to the tabletop: potent psykers, the indomitable Wraithknight, blisteringly fast Warp Spiders and, of course, the infamous scatter laser equipped Windrider Jetbikes. The Eldar player has more powerful options available to them than they know what to do with. Ironically though, among all those tools, we tend to see the same units pop up frequently while many mainstay units languish on the shelf.

Wouldn’t it be fun to see more of iconic units such as the Phoenix Lords and their Aspect Warriors? The Avatar of Khaine? Well, I am here to tell you that all of these units have their place on the tabletops of the new Warhammer 40,000.

Phoenix Lords, especially, will benefit from a nice 2+ armour save. They’ve all been re-pointed to make all of the choices appealing, and they are more well-rounded – not only tearing bloody swathes through enemy combatants but also boosting the abilities of friendly warriors nearby. Asurman, specifically, is just fantastic, with the Sword of Asur able to deal mortal wounds and nearby friendly units benefiting from an invulnerable save!

Whether you want to play an Iyanden Ghost list with legions of silent Wraith-constructs (who you will be quite pleased with!) led by Spiritseers wielding potent Runes of Battle psychic powers, or an Alaitoc army of Rangers led by Illic, you can… and they’re good!

You’ll recognise many of the same elements from your current army as well: high mobility with army-wide special rules such as Battle Focus, and of course the classic powers such as Guide, Doom and Fortune.

You’ll also be happy to see multiple playstyles available to you. From infantry (and you all know I love my “Footdar” army!) to mechanised, to psyker heavy to totally psyker absent. You won’t feel shoehorned into a single build style but can exercise your creativity and field the army you desire.

But as stated earlier, what makes me most excited, as a long time Eldar player, is the new viability of some of the most enduringly beautiful models in the range. Striking Scorpions particularly are just vicious combatants that will strike fear into your opponent and disrupt their battle plans with the Masters of Stealth special rule and their Mandiblasters softening up enemy units at the beginning of the Fight phase by dishing out mortal wounds.

Howling Banshees get a new lease on life too. These girls are now faster than almost any other Infantry unit in the game, and nearly always get to go first in the Fight phase even if they didn’t charge.

I’d be remiss, though, not to mention the man himself: the Avatar of Khaine. With an ability that means he can even ignore some mortal wounds, he’ll be better protected than ever while filling your army with the fighting spirit of Kaela Mensha Khaine! If any unfortunate soul survives to challenge him directly, I can tell you, there are few models that can deal as much melee damage as the Avatar can with the Wailing Doom, which allows you to pick the highest of two dice rolls when dealing damage. Even Roboute Guilliman must tread cautiously with this adversary. As a bit of a sneak peek, take a look at his iconic weapon – the Wailing Doom to see what we mean:

There’s so much more to say, but for now, we’ve come to the end of today’s article.

I hope all of you are as excited as I am for the future of the Craftworlds in the new Warhammer 40,000.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 05-12-17 at 12:42 PM.
post #239 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-12-17, 01:05 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I wish they were more specific in those faction focus bits. They sound like Trump going on and on a out how awesome his wall will be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Fallen and Brother Dextus like this.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #240 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-12-17, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
I wish they were more specific in those faction focus bits. They sound like Trump going on and on a out how awesome his wall will be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

@realGWHQ "New 40k will be better than any previous edition, there are no negative comments at all and the community pages are always correct. Anyone saying otherwise is just fake news. Fake news is bad, and it funds terrorism."
Fallen and scscofield like this.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode