8th Edition Rumours - Page 21 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 03:45 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roganzar View Post
I don't think the points are going to change all that much. Looking at Space Marine Tac Squad, as GW seems to view these as the baseline for everything else. That and I could only find the following information quickly. RESEARCH!!

A Tactical Marines squad (w/10 men, Veteran Sergeant, flamer and missile launcher) with a dedicated Rhino (basic nothing fancy) is currently 205 points. Now compared to editions back to 4th here, (Space Marine Point Costs Over 3 Editions | Wargaming Hub) the only change is 4th to 5th edition.

So, it looks unlikely that point changes are a big thing, as GW hasn't changed them much over the years. However, I would think that what changes they implement will be minor balancing to newer factions/units, Knights, Mechanicus, Guilliman, Chaos.
I'd like to point out that in 3rd edition the same tactical squad costed a whopping 250 pts...

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 03:48 PM

AAAND we have characters...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-4/

Posted 09/05/2017
New Warhammer 40,000: Characters

Warhammer 40,000 is chock full of mighty heroes and powerful villains; from the humble Astra Millitarum officer to the Greater Daemons of Chaos, these Characters can profoundly affect the way their army’s troops work on the battlefield. For you gamers, using these Characters correctly can be the difference between victory and defeat.
The way Characters interact with the rest of your army changes fundamentally in this new edition.
Previously, Independent Characters would join units, and those units would benefit from the Character’s Leadership and certain special rules, while the unit offered protection from enemy fire. Broadly, this worked pretty well, but there was a tendency in more competitive games to see multiple Characters pooled into a single unit, resulting in an all-conquering unkillable mega-unit with a smorgasbord of special rules, a few psychic powers for good measure, and often, some very un-thematic pairings (we’re looking at you, Dark Angels and Space Wolves, running around in your Ravenwing/Thunderwolf units).

So here’s a big thing – Characters can’t join units anymore. The age of the <add prefix>-star is over.
Instead, you’ll tend to find that a lot of Characters will have an ability that affects nearby units with a certain Keyword within a radius of effect. For example, the mysterious Dark Eldar Character Drazhar lets you add 1 to the hit rolls of all friendly Incubi units that are within 6″ in the Fight phase, while the Kroot Shaper allows nearby Kroot to re-roll wound rolls of 1 and share his superior Leadership.

To counter the fact that these Characters cannot join units and “hide” from enemy fire, there is a rule in the Shooting phase that means you can’t target a Character unless they are the closest enemy model. This represents the difficulty in picking out individuals amidst the maelstrom of battle and applies to all Characters with a Wounds characteristic of 10 or less, including things that previously might not have benefited from any protection. For example, Roboute Guilliman, who has 9 Wounds, can now realistically advance in the centre of a disciplined Space Marines army, directing his troops while remaining relatively safe from incoming weapons fire. Really big heroes, like Magnus the Red, will still need to brave enemy fire, but with, in his case, over a dozen Wounds and a respectable invulnerable save, he holds his own just fine.

The final part of the Character ruleset is Heroic Intervention. This allows Characters near a combat to pile in and attack if the enemy comes close enough, even if they themselves aren’t charged (because your Chaplain’s not just gonna stand there and let your Assault Squad have all the fun now is he?)

These rules, together, mean that you’ll see Characters advancing in the midst of their armies surrounded by groups of units benefiting from their particular expertise – which looks great on the tabletop, reflects the background we all know of the 41st Millennium, and offers some interesting tactical challenges as players try to get the most from their army’s leaders while keeping them alive…
That’s your update for today.
Join us tomorrow when we look at a few more weapon profiles from the upcoming new edition.

Quote:
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #203 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 03:55 PM

About the new characters rules: remember when in 3rd edition the chaos daemon princes used those pesky psy powers to be untargettable by any weapon (proto-invisibility)? weell... i do. That time has came back, for everyone. Also, their claim to have stopped deathstars is ridiculous: i'll just keep my bunch of characters close by, buffing all my army and charging all togheter, while YOU CANNOT SHOOT THEM (unless they are the nearest target...and you ran out of other units or fukked up the movement phase very good...)
Not liking this one, honestly.

Quote:

post #204 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
buffing all my army and charging all togheter, while YOU CANNOT SHOOT THEM (unless they are the nearest target...and you ran out of other units or fukked up the movement phase very good...)
Not liking this one, honestly.
Yeah, and if they charge a squad and wipe them out then they are open to being shot, because they are now likely the closest target. And if they don't kill what they charge then that squad can back off, and those characters can be shot or charged because they are likely now the closest target.

Lets not forget that infantry characters still can only move so fast, and this rule only applies to characters with 10 or fewer wounds.

Sure they can hide, but certainly not forever; and definitely not from a, unsurprisingly, good player.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #205 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 05:51 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

A suprise second article has appeared. Makes Guardsmen sound interesting for sure.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/...tra-militarum/

Listen up, Guardsmen! Reecius here to talk to you about the Astra Militarum in the new version of Warhammer 40,000. If your heart beats to the rhythm of boots marching and you love the smell of promethium in the morning, then this article is for you.
The Astra Militarum have a long and storied history. They’re comprised of the nameless, faceless billions of brave souls that take up arms in defence of the Imperium. You have to love the idea of a human having the guts to go toe-to-toe with the myriad horrors the 41st Millennium has to offer, armed only with a trusty lasgun and faith in the Emperor.

Currently, Astra Militarum forces often take to the field with big, sprawling infantry platoons sporting numerous attached Characters to give them bonuses or, at the other end of the scale, as largely mobilised tank armies firing massive guns and obliterating the enemy. This combination of hordes of men and powerful machines is a distinctive aspect of the Astra Militarum playstyle.
However, at the moment, they don’t always play on the tabletop the way they’re represented in the background. Wouldn’t it be awesome if some of those units you so rarely see like Scout Sentinels were suddenly not only good, but great? What if Bullgryns and Rough Riders were actually scary in combat? How about Heavy Weapon Squads that actually provide covering fire to the rest of your men instead of just acting as distractions for enemy units? I am here to tell you that all of these things are true in the new edition!

And the hype train just rolls on! Veterans now are truly seasoned warriors that–while no Adeptus Astartes–are soldiers to be respected. Your squads will no longer pop out of their Chimera, shoot one thing, and then die or run away immediately after the enemy returns fire. Nope, now, with the added “encouraging” presence of a nearby Commissar – which limits the losses of a bad Morale test – Astra Militarum are downright stalwart. Even Ratlings – with their sniper weapons allowing them to pick out and target Characters – will now be reaping a tally on your enemy’s leaders in the name of the Emperor!

But it’s not all about the ground pounders. The tanks of the Imperium have had a rough go of it in the current version of the Warhammer 40,000 ruleset, prone to getting destroyed in one shot or ingloriously throwing a tread going over a bush. But no longer. The tanks are back and better than ever. Leman Russes, for example, have Toughness 8 and a 3+ save, so they won’t be slowing down until they’ve lost half of their 12 Wounds. The tanks of the Imperial Guard will definitely be making their mark on battlefields across the Imperium.

There’s so much more to say! Those of you who are long time Astra Militarum players, like me, are going to be thrilled with what is coming. Models you haven’t used in ages, or perhaps those you’ve had your eye on for years, will now be shining stars in your collection.

But here’s one last little tidbit for you, as no conversation about the Guard would be complete without mentioning Orders. One of the Astra Militarum’s most well-known rules mechanics, Orders work automatically now and provide a variety of bonuses. You have 7 to choose from, but the one I want to discuss is ‘First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire!’. This now makes a unit of Astra Militarum infantry treat their lasguns and hot-shot lasguns as Rapid Fire 2; that’s 4 shots per Guardsman at half range! Combined with the fact that every weapon has a chance to hit any target, the much-derided lasgun can now be the deadly laser weapon the Emperor’s armies need.
That’ll be all! Dismissed.
post #206 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-09-17, 08:22 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Stuff

I really hope they release the books for this prior to me shipping off to school.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #207 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-10-17, 08:34 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's all sounding pretty good so far, although I think 40k 8th is going to be a very different beast to the last couple of editions.
Fallen likes this.
post #208 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-10-17, 08:51 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

So let me work this out. 10 guardsmen can now fire 40 shots at a Leman Russ, hitting with 20. I assume the humble lasgun will have a -1 modifier, so 10 will be saved, so 10 dice will be rolled to wound, needing 6s. If my maths is correct (good chance it's not as I'm just off a night shift) there's a good chance that the squad will take 2 wounds off the tank.

This is the first thing I've seen that I'm not really happy about. No tank should ever be vulnerable to an infantryman's personal weapon.
post #209 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-10-17, 01:53 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Well, if Boltguns are not getting an armor modifier, then I doubt that Lasguns are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #210 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-10-17, 02:56 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Strange. They both had a -1 in the old days.
Brother Dextus likes this.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode