Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

8th Edition Rumours

61K views 645 replies 35 participants last post by  scscofield 
#1 ·
So this is floating round on the net this morning...

1, Codexs are done and will be replaced on launch day withwar-scroll style releases much in the vain that AOS was.

2, Gone are templates, weapons will instead do random numbers of wounds much like flamer do now in overwatch

3, Vehicle armour values are gone, vehicles will instead get multiple wounds (expect even the most basic tank to have a lot of wounds doublefigures) heavier weapons will however do multiple wounds too.

4, Weapons will have a armour save modifier much like second edition rather than an ap value, so you have a save and this is reduced depending which weapon you’re shot with, rather than getting full save until your ap value is beaten.

5, Early summer release date, I think he said June but it may have been July my memory isn’t what it used to be J.

6, Rules will be simplified but not to the extent of AOS like AOS there will be three ways to play open narrative and matched.

7, Charging from vehicles is back not just assault vehicles,expect to see rhinos full of assault marines as far as the eye can see…

I honestly don't know how I feel about those. I own a lot of codex's and IA's :/
Vehicles having wounds means no vehicle damage.
I like templates (but not the scatter dice - it hates me :D) and I'll be sad if they go.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

#3 ·
Add this to the previously mentioned morale changes and we basically have Age of Emperor.
We'll see.
Is this rumor reliable? SALT! (but panick nonetheless)

#5 ·
I've checked this with a separate source and got told to expect the template bit.
I'm taking that with salt but I've no reason to disbelieve him.

Also found the beneath

Faiet212 said:
via an anonymous source (take this as solid as you can get)
Codices are not going away.
Won't comment on any other lucky swings in that list.

#6 ·
I wont say that i'd like to see templates gone. I certainly love the fact that small blast weapons could be more useful. but flamers...damn i love the flamer template!

#10 ·
----all hail the flamer template lord!
May the fiery template of his fury fall upon our enemy!-----

Reactions: Brother Dextus
#11 ·
They can have my template-firing Shredding Hand Flamers when they pry them from my cold dead hands. I'm very much against replacing maneuvering skill with random dice luck.

Reactions: neferhet
#12 ·
As with any changes here in life, I fear the worst.

My main concern is an over simplification of the rules. To me, one of the charming parts of the game is discussing and interpreting rules, while under heavy influence of alcohol.
Also I like telling AoS players that their game is for idiots and juveniles (even though I've never tried it or even read the rules). If 40k becomes too simple, I'll be robbed of that joy.

However, armour saves modifiers is something I've always wanted (wasn't in the game during 2nd ed).

#13 ·
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but since i'm currently i'm under the influence of alchohol, i can totally tell you that you misread the Reanimation protocol rules. :grin:

#16 · (Edited)
Bah. i agree that blasts need some rehash (small blasts, mainly) but to remove completely them is just removing an important aspect of movement and one of the last sempblance of tactics in the game.
About the vehicle stuff @Fallen mantions, i hope they keep it simple like that and remove the damage table, but if they do like AoS (where a damaged vehicle/monster changes stat line 3 or 4 times) it would become an absolute nightmare where you could never remember your stat line after 2 firing phases. Not really a simplification. But i digress.
Also, point reduction?? Hell i hope no! In fact in my group we are musing about returning to third etition and its lack of giant goofy 600+ pts centrepieces and higher unit costs.

#18 ·
It's odd that they are talking about getting rid of templates and introducing a D6 damage system, when only a few months ago a system written by GW legends Cavatore and Priestly has just abandoned that system and introduced templates for 2nd Ed Bolt Action, because they believed, because of feedback received from the players that it was too overpowered and led to an over-representation of those units on the table.

#19 ·
That's a good point, Mr. Fist.

I'd have to see the concrete rule suggestion here, before I can form an opinion.
My first thought is, don't take away my templates!

Would it be something like d6 for large blasts and flamer templates, d3 for small blasts?

#21 ·
1) No codices? Calling bullshit, but I wouldn't throw a fit if that were so.

2) If it works for boltaction then it will work for 40k.

3) Less War Thunder and more World of Tanks. Not super happy about that, but it won't kill me.

4) Very cool.

5) Coooo

6) All depends on to what degree.

7) Coooooo?

Sounds pretty good to me, on the hole.

#26 · (Edited)
It's dropped.

New Edition

Marking the 30 year anniversary of the setting, this latest incarnation of the game promises to be the best yet. For existing gamers, this edition represents a fresh start. With a sleek core rules set that is still recognisably the game we know and love, it allows you to play more games in less time and fully supports open, narrative and matched play. This is the game you have asked for. This is the best Warhammer 40,000 ever.

https://www.warhammer-community.com...n-of-warhammer-40000-your-questions-answered/

#27 ·
Is my army still valid?
Yes, it certainly is! You’ll still be able to use your army in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. All current armies will be supported with new rules.

Can I still use all my models?
Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. What’s more, they’ll be supported with new rules, which will be available from the get go in handy, low-cost books.

Even Forge World models?
Yes, even all of your Warhammer 40,000 Forge World models**.

Wait, did you guys blow up the universe?
Nope. This is very much still the Warhammer 40,000 setting you know and love. Now, that’s not to say we won’t see the story advance – there’s some pretty epic stuff ahead! You can certainly expect to see the story arcs that began in the recent Gathering Storm campaign books continue to unfold with plenty of exciting developments to look forward to…

How can I get the rules?
We’re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing. The core rules for the game will be free, and you’ll have several options on how you get your hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.

Have you dumbed down 40K?
Not at all. We’ve made it easier for new people to enter and get to grips with the basics. At the same time, we’ve made sure you can add as much depth and complexity as you like – there’s some fantastic new gameplay elements coming. What we’ve done is reexamine every aspect of the game, and made plenty of improvements, many based on the gaming community’s feedback and suggestions. If you play today, this game is recognisably still Warhammer 40,000.

What happens to my codexes?
The rules in our current range of Warhammer 40,000 codexes aren’t compatible with the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. These books will be going off sale very soon. If you do want to pick any up, now’s the time – as all of the great hobby content and background information will be as valid as ever.

What’s in the new starter box?
A new starter box? That’d be exciting! I guess we’d fill it with some awesome new miniatures… (come on, we can’t spoil all the surprises for you!)

Are you getting rid of points?
Not at all. There will be a full points system, for use in matched play – one of three ways to play covered in the rulebook.

What do you mean “3 ways to play”?
We realise that people like to play Warhammer 40,000 in different ways. 3 broad systems are covered in the new edition: 1) Open play is the most flexible, and easiest to get started with, allowing you to use any miniatures you like. 2) Narrative play is where you can refight the iconic battles of the 41st Millennium, or create your own campaigns and sagas. 3) Matched play is designed for more balanced and competitive games, ideal for gaming clubs, leagues and tournaments. However you want to enjoy playing Warhammer 40,000, there will be rules for that.

Why should I not just stick with current Warhammer 40,000?
This is the version of Warhammer 40,000 you’ve been asking for. We’ve listened to your feedback, and we really believe that this is the best Warhammer 40,000 has ever been.

Will the rules be updated annually (ala, the General’s Handbook)?
What a great idea! We’ve had such a fantastic response to our community-led approach with the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules updates that we’re committed to doing the same for Warhammer 40,000. You’ll be able to submit your questions and queries on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page and we’ll make sure we continue to evolve the game as feedback rolls in.

I haven’t played 40K in a while…
Welcome back! The new Warhammer 40,000 is easier to learn and quicker to play, but still has all the tactical, strategic and narrative depth you could want from a game set in the incredibly rich setting of the 41st Millennium. It’s going to be easier than ever to get started, and more fun than ever to master.

Why should I trust you?
Come on! This is New Games Workshop™

Seriously though, everything we’re talking about now is just an extension of all the community engagement work we’ve been doing over this last year and a half. We’ve learned a lot from you guys and gals, and we’ve tried really hard to make sure everything you’ve asked for is included. And if we’ve missed something? Drop us a line on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page and let us know. We’ll make sure your requests are given proper consideration.

Where can I find out more?
We’ll be running daily articles on the run up to release on warhammer-community.com. Every aspect of the new edition will be covered, from rules, to new miniatures and advancements in the setting.

I love it. I want it. When can I have it!
Really soon. You’ll be playing the new Warhammer 40,000 this year.

We’ll let you know when we have more news on an exact release date. Stay posted.
For the latest news, follow us on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page, or subscribe to our newsletter.

What do I do now?
Now’s the time to start getting your army ready.

With the addition of 3 ways to play, there are now more ways to build your collection than ever before. Open play frees you from all constraints, so now’s the time to just pick a model you’ve always wanted and paint it up. For you narrative players, why not start theming your collection around your favourite battle? Just like many of you, we want our armies to be fighting fit for matched play in the new edition. That’s why you’ll be able to read daily articles on the Warhammer Community site that will tell you all about the new rules, great units to include and tactics for every army.

*The edition’s not even out and you guys have an FAQ – how times have changed!

**A few of you might be wondering how the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 affects Forge World’s Horus Heresy rules and army lists. Well, for the moment, it won’t! You can carry on using the existing Warhammer 40,000 ruleset for your Horus Heresy games.

#31 ·
"Limited Edition" is a strong word. They'll be spunking all over the place and for a while with this.

My favorite is;
"Why should I trust you?
Come on! This is New Games WorkshopTM"
There's a lot going against that line. Also, broke out snickering when I read that. We shall see if you deserve our trust GW. We shall see.

If the rules are as good and sleek as they're promising, and we all hope, than GW will have earned some good will credit.
I very much approve of the core rules being free. It's a model used to good effect with other games. Warmachine/Hoards and the latest D&D edition are doing this and it's working really well. So, step one is good GW.

#35 ·
Or possibly replacing them. Its possible, slim possibility, that they are just discontinuing that set of them. I doubt it because GW but on the other hand making a new version of a thing is a total GW move.

#36 ·
Yup did that already.
https://warhammer40000.com/setting/explore-the-factions/#armies-of-the-imperium
Three "Factions" are Imperium, Chaos and Xenos.
Imperium is very padded out with 6 Astartes (Space Marines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Deathwatch) then Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle, Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Mechanicus, Imperial Agents and Knights.
Chaos getting the stinky end of the stick again, has Daemons, Marines, Death Guard and Thousand Sons.
Xenos (wooo catch-all), gets pointy eared padding with Craftworlds, Harlequins, Dark Eldar, Ynnari, Tyrannids, Genestealer cults, Orks, Necron and Tau.
Xenos get a cult group in their faction but we can't have a Chaos Cultist group in the Chaos faction? Bah, bad show GW. Bad show.:angry:

#38 ·
I like that better.
Doesn't really make sense to have Tyrannids ally with anyone, whatsoever.

#39 ·
They've switched out templates before, the set before the current white semi-transparent one was bright green as I recall. However, I'm having a horrible suspicion that they're gone for good and the days of actually having to take care how you maneuver a unit are over.

Because nobody needs a game with a high skill cap, amiright?

#41 ·
It's a shame if they go, positioning a template to maximum coverage of your target, to then watch it deviate to nothing is an iconic piece of 40k to me. But there'll still be used to play shadow war Armageddon in my neck of the woods.
As long as I can use my models and throw down some jive and dice it's all good 😊

#43 ·
Well, if I was afraid of spending money I wouldn't have stuck with the hobby.

As for the new rules... Well I'm gonna reserve judgement on them until I've played the game with them. People have bitched about every edition of the game since I entered the hobby back during 4th, and personally I've found 7th to be the best version since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.