8th Edition Rumours - Page 18 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-06-17, 02:07 AM
Feed

Tyranids had fuck all in the way of formations. I foresee that Brigade Detachment being a popular choice.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-06-17, 02:37 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
@ntaw , the problem is that competition for FA/HS slots is very heavy in some armies. Take my Sisters of Battle, Seraphim and Dominions both are some of my most effective units, so that's the 3 FA slots pretty much always spoken for and the Sisters don't exactly have a lot of Formations to fall back on outside the CAD to free some.

For such situations, trying to fit a Flier in the same slot gets painful quick even if you've got the points for it.
I get you on there being too many options in a FoC slot, the BA Codex is a gong show for that. If the utility of the Flyer works better in your list it's the optimal choice though, you're still going to face the same decisions with the points you spend in your army when they exist in a Flyer FoC slot. Whether they are Heavy Support, Fast Attack, or Flyer selections they'll still be just as hard to fit in if the points and circumstance say otherwise. Not to mention the in-game mechanics! Goodness. Some people were very picky about certain things with Flyers in 7th. Onward and upward in 8th with all luck.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #173 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 03:03 AM

Starbuck's Flag is: USA

Does the big detachment speak across the board puts discounts? As a blood angels player filling up all those slots would be pretty hard to do at 1850 or thereabouts

post #174 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 03:41 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

No I don't think that because of there being the huge FOC charts being available means a general points decrease. It is probably designed so that people can scale up in games, or army size, with goals.

AKA the bigger you go the larger game your playing so from ranging from 1k to apoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #175 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 02:59 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Does the big detachment speak across the board puts discounts? As a blood angels player filling up all those slots would be pretty hard to do at 1850 or thereabouts
This is honestly one of the best sentences I've read on the internet to date. I think GW have stated that 'free' stuff is out the window but I don't have anything but a hazy memory of Fb posts sifted for their responses to go on, so take that for whatever it's worth.

As @Fallen pointed out, the different detachments will likely be more pointed toward point ranges. Maybe the Patrol Detachment is good for 500-1250, the Battalion 1250-2k, and the Brigade 2k+? Ultimately we know nothing about how these Detachments work together, what point value anything is any more, or specifically what Command Points are and how they're spent (we've only heard them mentioned in passing but they seem pretty powerful given the right employ).

As a fellow BA player I'm very interested to see whether the FoC designations of 8th stay with the 7th edition spots or switches some things back to their 5th edition placing. The WC site is through the phases of the game and done 2/6 Warzones (assuming there will be profiles for only the 6 showcased on the 40k site) so Faction spotlights will come soon enough hopefully. Somehow I feel like we may just be waiting for release to find out such specific answers though :/

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #176 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 03:34 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Today we take a look at the biggest models in the game, and how they’re going to work in the new edition.

There are a few big changes here, though we covered some of them a little when we looked at profiles. Like the three units we’ve seen already, every model will be using the same profile system, so everything will have Wounds, Toughness, Strength, etc… This includes all vehicles.

We’ve also gotten rid of specific rules for Gargantuan Creatures and Super-heavy vehicles. Instead, these units will have a suitably impressive statline, but still play by the same rules as everyone else. This also means that those units that previously sat just shy of Super-heavy status, and missed out on bunch of special rules because of it, will now be appropriately killy and durable.

You’ll soon see that some of Warhammer 40,000’s biggest hitters have A LOT of Wounds, high Toughness and a good save. The biggest Tyranid monsters now have over a dozen wounds, where Imperial Knights have over 20!

This makes them almost infinitely survivable against small arms fire, but means that high-power weapons that can take chunks of wounds off at a time (lascannons, powerfists, battle cannons, etc) can take them down relatively quickly when brought to bear in force. Gone are the days of a lucky first-turn meltagun blowing up your Land Raider. (A squad of them will still ruin its day though…)

There are almost no weapons in the game now that can instantly kill these big guys, so there will be no shortcuts to dealing with them – you have to get your hands dirty and take those Wounds off.

This can make big models very powerful, but there is a counter mechanic in the rules. As these large, powerful models take damage, their combat effectiveness starts to degrade. The best way to show you this is with an example.

Here we have a Mork(or possibly Gork)anaut (as requested by Stacy from our Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page):

Whoa, so – with 18 Wounds at Toughness 8, this guy is a tough cookie to crack – able to wade through bolter fire untroubled and requiring a lot of heavy weapons shots to take down.

You can see, though, as it gets to the point of only having half its Wounds left, this walker starts to get less effective – it will move slower and its attacks will get more clumsy as servos are fused, and sensor arrays fail to register.

At 4 Wounds left, it’s all but crippled, though its shooting output will be undiminished – so it starts as a combat wrecking ball at the beginning of the battle, crashing through enemy lines, and ends up as more of a semi-mobile shooting fortress at the end of its life.

Different vehicles will be reduced in effectiveness in different ways too – some will get worse at shooting, some will slow down, and some some will become less effective in melee.

So, the big stuff sounds pretty scary!

We’ll be back tomorrow with some good news for the little guys, when we look at how infantry work, and how combined firepower can be used to topple even the mightiest foes.
post #177 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 03:55 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Going to have to start building wound counters of some sort into all my bases....

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #178 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 04:20 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Going to have to start building wound counters of some sort into all my bases....
I have a suspicion we'll see a product to help us with that.
post #179 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 05:06 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Most likely but I'm cheap

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #180 of 646 (permalink) Old 05-07-17, 05:33 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Most likely but I'm cheap

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
pencil and blocknotes work wonders

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode