New Year, New Army box sets - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Default New Year, New Army box sets

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/...estid=20464148

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/...estid=20464309

GW releases a set of incredible value 50 box sets to summon in the new year. Pre-ordered the Vampires one, with two friends getting the Tau and Warriors of Chaos ones. We're not big impulse buyers but these are just irresistible.

While it came from a GW employee, and is therefore almost certainly untrue, but I'm told that the new top brass at GW won't reduce prices because it will piss off people who bought things at the previous RRP (hard to believe), but aren't completely retarded and know that nerds dig bundles so they're going to do more of the discount boxes a la the Black Friday and these new box sets.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 05:28 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Of course the Blood Angels one is no savings.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

It's nice to know that there are still BA players out there who think GW won't fuck them in the ass.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 06:18 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
GW releases a set of incredible value 50 box sets to summon in the new year. Pre-ordered the Vampires one, with two friends getting the Tau and Warriors of Chaos ones. We're not big impulse buyers but these are just irresistible.
They are, aren't they. I'm getting the Skitarii one myself, especially pleasing that the new formation might finally allow me to field a Tech-Priest Dominus as my Skitarii Warlord.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 06:43 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
It's nice to know that there are still BA players out there who think GW won't fuck them in the ass.
Are there?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Are there?
Probably not; I didn't bother flagging up the shitty Harlequins and Blood Angels ones because I thought it'd be taken as read that the BA one would automatically be worse than everyone else's, but fair point.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Ghost Host (none of this Malignants crap, it's a Rare choice and two Specials! Note to self, gotta order some square bases too) - I've been wanting to pick up a Mortis Engine for some time, and getting the extra Spirit Hosts and Hexwraiths for 9 is not bad at all. I think the Tau one is the best, since everything in it is good and two boxes of it would be a pretty damn decent start to an army (you probably don't want 2 Ethereals, but Crisis Suits and Strike Teams seem like staples). I hadn't noticed but the Warriors of Chaos one comes with a Sorceror as well, which makes it pretty reasonable. Both the Daemons ones seem worth it too. For 40k, the Space Marines one is pretty eh (it's a cheap way of getting that neat Terminator Captain model though, and everyone needs Tacticals even if you don't want a Dreadnought). Imperial Guard seems to be stealthily better than I thought at first glance with the inclusion of the Heavy Weapons Team giving you actually a fair old amount of stuff (12 Guardsmen including the HWT and a Commissar for essentially 19 if you subtract the price of a Russ), Necrons is decent, Skitarii seems very good value but weirdly gives you a Dominus despite nominally being from another faction (I think GW fucked up and forgot that they split AdMech into two factions - to be fair, most players do as well), the Tyranids one gives you a good saving but on a weird bundle of units (walking Hive Tyrant and Warriors, with some Gargoyles in there? Okay), and then all the not-50 ones where you get the Codex are crap.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 07:11 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Skitarii seems very good value but weirdly gives you a Dominus despite nominally being from another faction (I think GW fucked up and forgot that they split AdMech into two factions - to be fair, most players do as well).
Actually I think that the new formation included in the box, the Dominus Maniple, allows the Dominus to be fielded as the Warlord of a Skitarii Maniple.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 08:19 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

More Formations! I wonder what their rules will be.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-16, 06:06 AM

SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Slaves to Darkness boxset is very tempting. Excellent savings too.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-16, 07:14 AM

Gorthol's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Of course the Blood Angels one is no savings.
As a Blood Angels fan myself I'd be tempted with the BA box set... But I'd have to work out if its worth paying 83.00 in one go or to get the subsequent kits separately; Its the fact that the codex is included that's swaying me, I'll have to do some maths when I get home from work!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode