New Dark Angel FAQ - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-08, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Grey Knight Converter

asianavatar's Flag is: Canada

Default New Dark Angel FAQ

There is a new Dark Angel FAQ posted on the GW site

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...dition_FAQ.pdf

It doesn't really say anything big or ground changing, but they do make a statement about differences between the new SM codex and the some of the older ones like DA, BA and BT. Pretty much they say, if their are changes between different items or abilities work them out in a sensible way, if nothing can be worked out go with the rules out of the specified army codex.

I am not sure what to make of it. Its almost like they are saying, don't be a jerk about it and if it makes sense that one landraider has a rule the others should. Personally, this is how I would deal with it, but unfortunately, not everyone is that open minded, especially at tournaments. In these cases I guess its up to tournament organizers to make rulings on these before they start. Hopefully, down the line they will get a chance to go through the rules and codices and find all the differences between equipment rules and FAQ them. But right now at least they addressed it.

I used to roll the dice, Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Quote:
I'm afraid there's no authoritative source for thinking you're an asshole
Aramoro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 12:54 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Good heads up!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 12:56 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

It does seem to be a little too open, as the personal prejudices of tourney organizers could rear it's ugly head, and somone wii get screwed. I do like the faq for friendly games, as it says to be reasonable.

check out the entropic reaper or remain a vagrant on the sidewalk of life.
[http://entropomancer.blogspot.com/

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 04:04 AM

When I read it, I just get confused.

Nothing has been resolved or decided upon by GW.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 06:56 AM

Cadian81st's Flag is: USA

Yeah, it seemed like they just sidestepped answering that. I didn't really get a sense of a decision there...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 08:11 AM

Jock's Flag is: Scotland

It seems clear to me reading the first paragraph:

Quote:
Strictly, you should always use the rules from
your own Codex, and this is the default solution
you must use if you and your opponent can’t
come up with a better one (you’ll find that this
might be the case in tournaments, for example!).
Though its saying if the other guy allows it then fine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 08:16 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianavatar View Post
I am not sure what to make of it. Its almost like they are saying, don't be a jerk about it and if it makes sense that one landraider has a rule the others should. Personally, this is how I would deal with it, but unfortunately, not everyone is that open minded, especially at tournaments. In these cases I guess its up to tournament organizers to make rulings on these before they start. Hopefully, down the line they will get a chance to go through the rules and codices and find all the differences between equipment rules and FAQ them. But right now at least they addressed it.
Ten bucks says they're both playtesting the older codecies with the new equipment profiles, as well as sitting down with a spreadsheet and trying to decide if it's financially sound to give the updates.

Now, you say, of course it'd be financially sound to give the other Chapters the updated rules-- how could that hurt? Well, the short answer is that if you Black Templar, Blood Angel, and Dark Angel players out there suddenly had access to the stuff you ought to out of the new Codex, then why buy the stuff you need to reconfigure your army to act as a Codex: Space Marines army? I bet you anything they wait a few months, let everyone get some units so they can play divergent Chapters with the Codex rules, and then come out with the FAQ to give the other codecies the new stuff. It's ultimately a question of sales, and it really seems to me like it'd hurt their sales on the Space Marine releases, as utterly crazy as it sounds, if they release the FAQs now.

As a side note, I do like the fact that they're telling everyone to just sort of deal with it as you see fit. I hate rules lawyering, and I hate the stubbornness attached to it that detracts from the fluff of the game. Codex A says this, but Codex B makes more sense and has the rules written there. Codex A and Codex B don't functionally differ in any meaningful way as far as actual units go, so for the love of the Emperor, just go with what makes you happy. It's YOUR game, after all-- you're the one playing, not some jerk behind the counter at the GW store.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 08:27 AM

The_Pi's Flag is: Europe

I was going to say YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! when i read about a new DA FAQ related to the new marine rules, BUT, the faq you've linked is exactly the same they released with 5th ed, so no 3+ storm shields...yet.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 01:58 PM

Ebsolom Dhaark's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looks like the BA and BT will be getting similar treatment... just a hunch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 04:17 PM

Sanguinary Dan's Flag is: USA

Believe it when I see it. And if all it says is "Well, if it's ok with your opponent..." then what's the point?

"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines
For the Emperor's sake people it's a TURRET! There is no such thing as a turrent.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode