Guard Rumors - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

Default Guard Rumors

Hey there gents,

Picked up an interesting little tidbit here from Warseer; make of it what you will....

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjoking...

I spoke extensively to Robbin Crudace at the Games Day about the upcoming guard codex. I asked him about the platoon drill special rule that has been floating around here on Warseer and while he didn't deny it the rumour he mentioned that it would be more a case of intergrating and streamlining the traits and variations that make the guard so special into codex, in the same way as the upcoming marine 'dex does.
Asked if there would be more tanks he said that including variants there could be "almost twenty".
He said the core image of the codex would revolve around the three parts that make up the combined arms approach of the army: infantry,tanks and with paticular emphasis in his voice artillery.
The most intriguing part of the conversation was when he said that he wanted to make the lasgun much more "interesting"!
He refused to confirm the release date saying that they were well beyond the concept stage.
Make of this what you will folks and don't forget that pinch of salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage

I can confirm the tank comments as when I discussed with him, he said that he had "about 21 different tanks" in the new book, and that the book would be big.

Also, he said that he wanted to go back to how he feels the Guard should be seen. Lots of men, lots of tanks, huge amounts of firepower and complete attrition-style warfare. All in all, although I didn't get MANY hints (and some of the stuff mentioned here is news to me), I was very happy with what I heard.

I do find it quite interesting to hear two people confirm the '20+ tank variants' thing...this is above and beyond anything I've heard before. Mayhap it'll be just as exciting a time for Guard players as it's fixing to be right now for Marine players!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 03:46 PM

EndangeredHuman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Wow, 21 tank variants, hell! That's an impressive feat. By the definition of 'more troops, more tanks' I can presume a decrease in the points cost across the board?

Lasguns more interesting, huh? So they're finally going to admit they can light campfires into the fluff too!

1500pts Celestial Lions
1000pts Warboss Judge Skull'Umper
500pts Vostroyan & Cadian 119th
post #3 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 04:03 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I thought the rumor would be something stupid
Special Rule: your screwed AGAIN: every turn you must remove one platoon from your army, you know your not gonna win, your playing 5th with guard

post #4 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 04:10 PM

Underground Heretic's Flag is: USA

I hope they drop the points cost all around. I've heard the points cost for the new SM characters and they are pretty low for what you get. I want to see the Smurfs balanced out. Go Guard!

That which doesn't kill me has made a tactical mistake.

Rites of Battle Your source for 40k opinions, news, and hobby updates.
post #5 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 04:14 PM

cooldudeskillz's Flag is: United Kingdom

if does indeed come true then guard are going to be alot more instresting

Daemons
W:9 D:0 L:0

Chaos Marines
W:21 D:2 L:3

If you want peace.....prepare for war!
post #6 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 05:54 PM

Lucius Vane's Flag is: USA

I had been thinking about jumping into guard, but the new kill points rules have me a little nervous to try.

Have there been any rumors about addressing this? Might they change the guard rules so that you get kill points for platoons instead of squads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington
Ward's writing is the graffiti of an imbecile, scrawled drunkenly on something well-loved, and simply pointing out that it can be true doesn't make it any more palatable.
-Tyranids are a state of hive mind.-
post #7 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 05:55 PM
Darth Druchii

Druchii in Space's Flag is: Wales

Aye, I'm looking forward to the new Guard book, can't wait to see what hes done with them.

The comment about the Lasguns is interesting, does that hint that the rumour about rapid fire 3 for Lasguns is correct. Hmmm.

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
"I feel I was denied. Critical, need to Know information!"
post #8 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 06:18 PM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

For me the most interesting thing is what will happen to the las gun, which is generally pants. Perhaps the ability to fire a single more powerful shot with a higher ap (as seen in many of the novels) and spend a turn reloading?
As for the tanks, I imagine this is just bringing all the existing variants and tank types from the existing range from the forgeworld camp. Perhaps making plastic kits instead of resin will make them more affordable. There must be at least 21 scattered across the various Imperial Armour books.

I am the White Knight!

post #9 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 09:28 PM

Pandawithissues...'s Flag is: England

Tbh, the forge world leman russ varients arn't too bad price wise, at least in my opinion.

What I want to see: The infinite variety present in the guard ranks represented in the book and army list.

What I dont want to see: Very very low points guardsmen (my infantry army will get even further behind schedule)
Loads of stupid special characters with magic the gathering type army upgrade rules 'replacing' traits, a la codex spaz marines

Death magnetic: 5 slabs of vinyl: Pure spinning ecstasy.
post #10 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-08, 09:29 PM

This kind of worries me. 'Complete attrition-style warfare'? Fantastic -- but I play drop troops.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode