Guard Rumors - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-14-08, 06:43 AM

Hey you never know, HSO could be a colonel, SO could be a major, and then JO is a captain, there is no set rank for it, and you have commanders like gaunt and shaffer who are colonel(HSO) leading small groups of men
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 10:41 PM

beenburned's Flag is: United Kingdom

You could think about it in that your army is the portion of the overall force being led by your commander - that the army you're currently fighting with is you're big leaders army of choice. He's not leading just any army, he's leading a spearhead, or a strike force. That's how I think about using an avatar in 1500 pts. His presence is crucial in an overall war. Makes sense that way.
post #83 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 10:49 PM

Yeah. Think of a standard 40k game as a battle within a battle. Remember, there's not just nothingness off board; there's fighting going on there too, if you imagine.

post #84 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-15-08, 11:43 PM
Ste

Ste's Flag is: United Kingdom

In th english army a Lieutenant commands 30 men? so having a HSO for example a colonel who on average leads over 200 men running around with 20 cadians just seems to fuck fluff up the ass?

Platoons ftw! but they shud make more sense with it like, JO for a 30 man squad, SO 40-50 HSO 50+
post #85 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 12:46 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

I think that using the foc as a basis for when a hso is allowed is probably best, if the force includes 2-4 platoons, senior officer(cpt.) if the force has less, junior officer(2lt., 1lt.), and if it has more than 4 platoons, then heroic senior officer(ltc, col.)

check out the entropic reaper or remain a vagrant on the sidewalk of life.
[http://entropomancer.blogspot.com/
post #86 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 02:53 AM

Or maybe a point basis like they did with chaos chosen in the 3.5 codex? but then it becomes harder to justify masters in smaller point matches and such, my guess, your going to get a command squad with a strong(gaurd wise) hq with many upgrades, and then for plattoon command squads, get a weaker officer(1W maybe 2?) with many options but not as many, with how the codicies are going i doubt there will be much more of a option between a hso, so, and jo just a stronger guy as your lead and many mini leaders

Edit: by masters i mean like SM masters and daemon princes, like an example earlier, if these guys get to lead spear heads, why not IG commanders?

Last edited by DaemonsR'us; 10-16-08 at 02:55 AM.
post #87 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 02:59 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonsR'us View Post

Edit: by masters i mean like SM masters and daemon princes, like an example earlier, if these guys get to lead spear heads, why not IG commanders?
it is because they are really supposed to be in a command tent/bunker/vehicle developing strategy, not spearheading assaults, they are too valuable and it takes too long to train someone to do the job. it would also be next to impossible to find someone that could become familiar enough with the situation to effectively lead the massive effort that is the imperial guard war machine.

check out the entropic reaper or remain a vagrant on the sidewalk of life.
[http://entropomancer.blogspot.com/
post #88 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 07:23 AM

leinad-yor's Flag is: USA

This is the way I see it;
The Officers that lead from behind the lines far out rank a HSO. think more along the lines of a 3-5 star general not a Col. or a Commander. The HSO's job is to lead large forces of Guardsmen, the only way he would be behind the lines was if he was acting as an advisor due to some experience the he has relative to the battle as a whole. This is the reason that I don't use characters like Creed in my armies, they should be behind the lines.
JO leads a platoon strength force. This is where he/she learns the ins and outs of battle.
SO leads the company as a whole. Multiple platoons, loads of men. Here they can fine tune their skills in the theatre of war.
HSO will lead a battlegroup made up of many parts. Infantry, armor and special forces all set to a specific task.
An officer with Honorifica Imperialis is one who has shown himself to be destined as a superior leader.

In larger games I use a HSO and a JO with HI and task that JO with a task that he will more than likely die trying to achieve. Like taking a major objective while mounted in a Chimera or dropped in behind enemy lines.
I look at it as would you have a green officer lead men on an important mission or use someone who has proven themselves time and again.
Just my 2 cents.

Leinad

Last edited by leinad-yor; 10-16-08 at 07:35 AM.
post #89 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-21-08, 01:02 PM

when in doubt, shoot!'s Flag is: Scotland

Hey guys, you've all probably seen this paragraph floating around, but in case anyone hasnt, I'll show it here;

"Take this with the usual dose of salt guys, but someone I trust told me that the new guard codex may have the following things in it.

Army wide special rule: I think it’s called Platoon Drill or something like that. Basically, units from the same platoon may ignore intervening squads when shooting. So enemy units targeted in this way do not receive the 4+ save. Apparently this only works if the Platoon command squad is alive and within 12” of the rest of the platoon. I’ve been told that this is just one of the abilities guard Platoons may get, but only as long as the chain of command is intact (whatever that means). So loosing your HQ Command Squad may be a really bad thing.

Doctrines are for sure gone (I think we all knew this), but have been replaced by more mutable platoons. Instead of Armoured fist squads you can buy Chimeras for a whole platoon. Or buy the whole platoon grav-chutes to give them deep strike, or drop the heavy weapons from squads and give the platoon Scout. Veteran squads become upgrades to platoons (i.e. they are not elites anymore).

Apparently infantry platoons let you attach certain types of support vehicles to them(kinda like back in second edition). Things like sentinels, hellhounds and demolishers can be attached to platoons. They still take up a FOC spot, but become part of the platoon and so will benefit from the Platoon Drill rule.

The Leman Russ can be bought as a squadron so you can get 3 for a single FOC. They can not be attached to platoons however.

Sniper Squads can now infiltrate, get stealth, range finders and all models in the squad have sniper rifles (and BS 4!).

Like the Land Raider, a new plastic sprue for the Leman Russ has been made that will allow plastic demolishers and a 3rd variant (my money is on the Exterminator).

The Baneblade in NOT in the new codex. It just doesn’t work (i.e. overpowered)in games that are not Apocalypse in size.

However Stormtrooper squads can now take Valkyries as transports. Both will be getting a plastic kit. Valkyries follow the rules for skimmers I’ve been told. Again, they want to keep flyers and super heavies out of “normal games” but give people the ability to use them with all the special rules in Apocalypse and Planet-strike (if the ever get around to that.)

This last one makes me wonder what’s they are doing, but apparently there is a new HQ in the book; Inquisitor and Retinue much like the elites from the current Daemon Hunters/Witch Hunters books."

Back to business!
post #90 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-27-08, 10:27 PM

my buddy plays gaurd, i hope he enjoys the new codex coming out. i still would like to see a new Dark Eldar codex come out though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode