Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Warhammer Fantasy 9th Edition Rumour

30K views 300 replies 33 participants last post by  Einherjar667 
#1 · (Edited)
This just cropped up on the Bolthole;

Fenris said:
Seems summer will be an...interesting time....
Rumors will be rumors obviously

Make of that what you will. I am unsure of how I feel about the lore side of it, though I will give it a chance. As for the models, BS. Total BS. So from now on we can expect revolving door model releases, I like the idea of rules-in-the-box, but not that model kits will be on limited release spans. I really hope GW change their mind about that.

LotN

#3 ·
That might just mean limited time in stores before becoming direct only.

I'm excited. To see a setting dramatically moved forward is something we haven't seen before and it opens a whole load of possibilities. I was worried The End Times would become just another campaign like Storm of Chaos.

It's hard deciding what to do army-wise though. I was originally going High Elves, then (post events of Khaine) Elves, now I think I should wait to see what the new edition brings.

The new faction sound like Grey Knight's. Maybe have something to do with the giant silver armoured warrior Araloth meets?

#4 ·
Now that is interesting. That whole bit about the world being pockets of realty is a good touch.

Not so keen on the idea of them to six factions, who wants to bet the Brets are going to be a casualty.

#5 ·
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath..... :shok:

#11 ·
This has to be one of the funniest things I've read in awhile.

I don't play Fantasy - I collect Brets though, was always waiting for an update before I leapt in - but this seems nuts, flat out insanity, I know End Times is changing things up for Fantasy but it's my understanding that that is playing upon Lore and advancing the story. This just sounds like it completely guts it Jack the Ripper style.

#8 ·
well that sounds fucking shit.

As to the design brief or meeting to discuss what should happen come 9th edition, I can just imagine it.

"Hey, hey guys... What about this for an idea? We take that world that we've spend developing for the last 30 years... And then rip the heart out of it! Caboom! Kablooey! It's gone. It's a wazzy it's a woozy, it's fairy dust! It doesn't exist. Hmmhmm. humhmm... hmmhmmhmmhmmm *beats chest* humhmmm. *beat beat*..."

#9 ·
I call highjinx and tomfoolery.

Still sounds like a fart in the bath though. :stinker: Ooh, Nurgle...... :puke:

#10 ·
Just done a bit of research - your "Fenris" character is being a bit of dick in not providing his source, but it's come via Warseer nearly a week ago (helps if you too provide the link?)

The rumours are split into 4 different birdies - according to Darnok, although the one he believes to be the most reputable is only stating it will come in the summer.

However, most people are taking the rumour seriously. Me? I'm just happy I sold all my fantasy years ago.

#13 ·
seriously? i call bullshit on this one. Having said that however this is gw we're talkin bout and it wouldn't be the first time the've screwed us, but seriously this does seem far fetched even for them.

#16 · (Edited)
Sounds fucking shit.

*Not a money grab*

Absolute bollocks. While I don't mind the idea of patching into the game to fix problems, it should be done free. That anyone believes the hype that GW won't intentionally create the imbalance (as really, the only way to balance OP'd units is to tone them down) is out of their fucking tree.

#17 ·
I had to laugh

'As these expansions are not permanent in the world, so too will these models not be.' then a little further down 'It will give everyone the opportunity and hopefully inspiration to do something new, but without invalidating everything from the past. It is opening room for creativity, not closing doors.'

Yeah because essentially making the bulk of your new models Limited Edition is not closing doors at all. And it makes it harder for people to try new factions or units unless they get them at launch unless they turn to eBay. This has got to be the most stupid thing going.

#18 ·
Three words that'll kill WHFB stone dead if true - Limited Edition Models.

All the books (again, with the caveat that older books may not be optimal for the new core rules [but truthfully the core rules aren't changing wildly, like 5th to 6th edition 40k, really more of a tidied up 8th edition with a brand new setting]) are designed to be compatible.

Support will be towards the new book, new setting, however, with End Times being in the past. Viable, but not current.

Expect armies to have fewer units in their core books, which will be heavily focused on the fluff for where they are now, what they've been doing in the centuries immediately following the sundering. This will create a more "balanced" pool as they will be rapidly produced and released (consider a scale even somewhat faster than what we've had for 40k these past few years).

These will then be expanded on with supplements, not intended as money-grabs (as I am sure they will be received by the majority of your readers), but more as guided hands to acknowledge deficiencies in books, or even "global meta" changes. The first time that Games Workshop will be openly acknowledging things that need changes.

These units will typically get white dwarf rules treatments heralding the release in hardback of all of the new units from the previous month(s), for a new setting expansion, which will pit several of the races together (representing a collision).

As these expansions are not permanent in the world, so too will these models not be. They are intended to only get one template injection mold life-run, the same as the books will be printed only once in hardback, then delayed paperback.

They will of course remain legal throughout all of 9th, they will just be more limited eventually, the same as the end time models will not be available forever, the same as XYZ model is no longer available (just with a shorter life span than previous experienced). I mean... you can't get albion models anymore either, but that campaign was before people whined on the internet, so I guess that's why no one's complaining.
I don't think I'm alone in thinking "What the fucking fuck" when I read this...

#20 ·
To offer some sort of benefit of the doubt, it could just be rumormongers spreading misinformation. The self-congratulating smugness on some of the stuff Faeit's run concerning this leads credence here.

That said, assuming it's not the case...what the absolute f-

#22 · (Edited)
-9th Edition to pick up where the ET leaves off in fluff, plus a couple of hundred years or so (to reboot the setting).

-The Warhammer World gets shattered on a dimensional level during the climax of the ET. No more "map of the Old World" - it's now little bubbles of reality, where pockets of civilisation try desperately to eke a living before the next collision with another bubble, which may be full of Chaos. (To address the problem of "how come my Tomb Kings of Khemri are fighting against Wood Elves from Athel Loren?", not that I get the impression that either of those will still exist, but you get the idea)

-New faction... heavily armoured, religious, "good" human warriors fighting with the power of the gods. (Warhammer Space Marines, basically). Karl Franz Ascended seems to be the prototype or precursor for this concept, AFAICT.

-9th edition will have 6 factions. Model diversity cut in half shelf space. New world and new age so current factions and lore aren't recognizable at all. Each new faction has like 3 core units that will always be on the shelf. Much faster releases of stuff, mainly characters and special units of 2-5 fancy models (like Morghasts) that have their own rules right in the box, so not dependent on a static army book. Many of the these non-core models are only available for a limited time (say 6 months to a year), so they don't take up shelf space forever and ever. Many existing models are not usable in 9th.

-We can expect the next edition of Fantasy to throw everything up in the air. The whole End Times move has been to wean people onto a whole new take on the Warhammer world and it's going to start with every army being "chaosified". We can expect army play styles and appearance to change quite dramatically and there will be a whole load of new models being released early on to tie everything together. This has caused quite a stir back at GW HQ as there are a lot of people behind the scenes (some of which are very well known to us) who don't like the changes that have been made. I have also been told that the models due to be released are some of the best to date!
SHIT! Tosses out my homebrew fluff.

Soooooo.....basically they make it into a fantasy version of 40k

Tosses boxes of unassembled warhammer units.

Really.......so they are taking a step back to the olde daes.

MOTHER F-Lots of cursing follows, tosses few assembled units and few remaining mad scribblings of fluff, deletes large number of ebooks, and dex.

Yeaaaaah......throw it into the air, that's a way to put it.

Digs boxes out of trash and puts it on the 'ebay' shelf.

#23 ·
This just cropped up on the Bolthole;

Make of that what you will. I am unsure of how I feel about the lore side of it, though I will give it a chance. As for the models, BS. Total BS. So from now on we can expect revolving door model releases, I like the idea of rules-in-the-box, but not that model kits will be on limited release spans. I really hope GW change their mind about that.

LotN
Absolute bullshit! If this is true (i have my doubts) I will just play 8th edition and maybe End Times. I have the books and building an army at the moment. But seriously WTF! BUBBLES! BUBBLES! What idiot came up with that idea! Third party companies will benifit though.....

#24 ·
I call bullshit on this.

1, Games Workshop just posted a whopping 11 million pounds sales loss for 2013/14.

2, Games Workshop is expecting to post another 11 Million pounds + sales loss for 2014/15

3, Games Workshop's shares have slipped to record lows, even prior to the London Stock Exchange crash the other day.

And now we expect this bullshit.

GW might as well file for bankruptcy now and get it over and done with.:scare:

#29 ·
Seeing as Fantasy hasn't even in the top 5 selling wargaming since 2013 and they're putting just as much money into it, if not more than 40k, and had a major wake-up call with the Chapterhouse lawsuit about what they can and can't protect they need to do something to shake the game up a bit. WFB hasn't seen a major change since it's inception in the 80s and has such a high investment requirement just to start playing that something needs to change majorly to bring in new players.

I think the rumors at least have merit and will be picking up the core rules when they drop to see what is happening because it's a game I'd like to play but can't afford to right now.

#30 ·
It won't quash it. For the rumours to be coming out now, and for it to be hitting the shelves in 4-6 months, it should have been in production and slotted in now as the big summer release. Things will be at the printers, likely, while newly launched models and kits a-la Island of Blood will begun to be made.

The worst thing is with this rumour is that it's all so plausible, and that I hope it's just lost in translation or something and it's not as drastic as it sounds.

#31 ·
I am betting that this new version won't be nearly as insane as the rumors are making it sound. We're all picturing something very extreme, that negates all of our armies and has fantasy space marine fighting in bubbles. Even the most wacked out company knows going THAT FAR from their original product when updating it will alienate the better part of their return customers. They still need to appeal to us, no matter what they do, as a business, they don't have a choice.

Plus it sounds like they're taking an honest crack at lower model counts and balance, something we've been begging for!

#32 ·
One of the rumor posts I've seen is that everything from 8th will still be legal to use and play, it just won't really be supported the same way as it is now. So the vets are appeased if they want to hang onto the current game with the new core rules, while new players get to come in and try the new stuff which is supposed to be aimed at making it easier to start armies without dropping $500+ bucks.

#33 ·
I dearly hope the lowering of model count isn't true. It smacks of being panicked by Warmahordes and Infinity, and if Fantasy/40k model count goes down, people are just going to play Warmachine and Infinity which have experience as small-scale games. It'd totally kill the USP that Fantasy/40k is a 28mm battle game, not a 28mm skirmish game.

#34 ·
A skirmish game could be anything between 10 and 40 or so minis. WFB will never be that. They do need to address the extremely high start up cost for a new army. At the moment a single optimised unit can take up to 4 boxes to fill, which equates to about €120. For a single unit that is just ridiculous. There are games systems where you can buy a whole force for that. It's the major reason I never took the plunge myself.

#35 ·
the problem isnt that a unit takes 4 boxes to complete its the fact that those 4 boxes cost that much in the 1st place if the product cost less they wouldnt be in this position. all ripping the guts out of one of their core systems will do is alienate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.