Warhammer Fantasy 9th Edition Rumour - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 01:20 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

I don't remember too many rumor sets like that working out to be true @locusgate.

The last one that came close was 6th edition's "pancake" ruleset that failed to be true and was more likely the initial ideas GW had before they pruned their changes back. Same thing could be happening here too.

Also almost no one currently plays Fantasy and it sure as shit isn't selling. Hell I mean my Beastmen are already shelved so to me there already is nothing to lose.

We don't even know 100% that options are being pruned just because the books are being consolidated. At worst I'd expect Fine cast stuff to get dropped or replaced with newer models until we see otherwise in print from GW.

And even if it's pruned now it doesn't mean it can't come back later, or even get a mini-army book release to support things like running a pure Dwarf army.

Basically it's too early to get your knickers twisted and even majorly supported rumors have failed in the past so until it's in print it's a myth at best and a lie at worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 01:26 AM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

Seconded. And besides, if these these rumors are true, who says 8th will be bad? Nothing stated beyond some units getting deleted has struck me as crisis inducing
post #63 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I don't remember too many rumor sets like that working out to be true @locusgate.

The last one that came close was 6th edition's "pancake" ruleset that failed to be true and was more likely the initial ideas GW had before they pruned their changes back. Same thing could be happening here too.

Also almost no one currently plays Fantasy and it sure as shit isn't selling. Hell I mean my Beastmen are already shelved so to me there already is nothing to lose.
And I hope the rumors about the consolidation, limited edition models, and bubble worlds aren't true, but when you see brown clouds that smell like crap on the horizon you should expect a shitstorm.

post #64 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 02:51 AM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

The shithawks are swoopin' in, Bobandy.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #65 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 03:26 AM

Brother Cato's Flag is: United Kingdom

I found this stumbling around -

Look very closely at the Screaming Bells in the background.

Modelling Projects
post #66 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 05:56 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
And I hope the rumors about the consolidation, limited edition models, and bubble worlds aren't true, but when you see brown clouds that smell like crap on the horizon you should expect a shitstorm.
They already do limited edition models. Two Space Marine Captains/Chapter Masters and the character models in box sets like Deathstorm prove that already. Doing it with Fantasy won't hurt the game and may help sell campaign boxes.

Also consolidated armies doesn't prevent you from running pure armies. The End of Times Undead Book doesn't prevent you from building a pure army for Vampire Counts for example. Just because the armies get consolidated doesn't mean the ability to run them solo is changing.

And as I've said: fantasy is basically dead. It hasn't been a major seller since at least 2012 (locally, despite a die hard Fantasy community, 40k outsells it 10:1). It's bloody broken and something major needs to be done. That means we need to stop acting like a bunch of fucking old people who remember the "good old days" and realize how fucking bad it's gotten. If that means the whole damn game needs to be tossed out and reworked into something actually 100% unique instead of being largely a D&D miniature collection made into army game and the rules reworked from the ground up to make it a better game that makes money instead of losing it (because GW puts at least as much of their resources into Fantasy and it's bloody burning a hole in the floor faster than their brick and mortar stores are) then they owe it to themselves, to their stockholders and their customers to do it before they fucking sink themselves.

Fighting change just because it's new and different is fucking stupid. Wait for the rules to come out, get a feel for where the game is going and then decide if it's something you like instead of jumping ship based on hearsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Cato View Post
I found this stumbling around -

Look very closely at the Screaming Bells in the background.
Interesting. Looks like round bases are possibly in the works after all. They look good, though I'm curious how the movement rules for them may change if they're on round bases.
post #67 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
They already do limited edition models. Two Space Marine Captains/Chapter Masters and the character models in box sets like Deathstorm prove that already. Doing it with Fantasy won't hurt the game and may help sell campaign boxes.

Also consolidated armies doesn't prevent you from running pure armies. The End of Times Undead Book doesn't prevent you from building a pure army for Vampire Counts for example. Just because the armies get consolidated doesn't mean the ability to run them solo is changing.

And as I've said: fantasy is basically dead. It hasn't been a major seller since at least 2012 (locally, despite a die hard Fantasy community, 40k outsells it 10:1). It's bloody broken and something major needs to be done. That means we need to stop acting like a bunch of fucking old people who remember the "good old days" and realize how fucking bad it's gotten. If that means the whole damn game needs to be tossed out and reworked into something actually 100% unique instead of being largely a D&D miniature collection made into army game and the rules reworked from the ground up to make it a better game that makes money instead of losing it (because GW puts at least as much of their resources into Fantasy and it's bloody burning a hole in the floor faster than their brick and mortar stores are) then they owe it to themselves, to their stockholders and their customers to do it before they fucking sink themselves.

Fighting change just because it's new and different is fucking stupid. Wait for the rules to come out, get a feel for where the game is going and then decide if it's something you like instead of jumping ship based on hearsay.

Interesting. Looks like round bases are possibly in the works after all. They look good, though I'm curious how the movement rules for them may change if they're on round bases.
Doing it with MOST of your models is down right stupid.

It increases the chances that TK and VC units will look the same and then you have to buy a VCication kit for the low price of $20. The problem is the rumor states that they are......undiversifing the armies making it so I can't tell my VC army apart from a TK.
Quote:
Each new faction has like 3 core units that will always be on the shelf.[.....] non-core models are only available for a limited time (say 6 months to a year)
The current limited edition models aren't a large portion of the game.

So if it sells less then lets just toss everything else and start from scratch. Change is good, tossing everything out and starting over isn't.What if sony said the 'PS5 would be able to play vcr and play ps2 games......but it can play some new games, but you have to register the game within a week after getting it or else you won't be able to play anymore, oh and the new games are sold for a week'.
There's a difference between making changes to bring new players and just tossing everything out and making a new game.

Last edited by locustgate; 01-10-15 at 01:11 PM.
post #68 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 02:14 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

Im still looking at it as:

Lower model count to play, something a lot of people wanted

Total fluff advancement, a rarity that has been highly successful with TET

Consolidated army books, i will take this to mean that daemons, warriors and beasts will get one large tomb. Purchasing one book instead of three to play.

The jury is still out on the rules but obviously starting from scratch allows them to work on balance.

And it's going to be very new and interesting. It has just as much a chance of being bad as it does good, so I will choose to save myself the heartache and embrace the good possibilities.

Oh yeah, and it sounds like chaos is going to win for a fucking change!
post #69 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 06:19 PM

KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA

If GW goes the way of ltd releases the game turns into a game of "he who spends the most wins the most". Especially if there's power creep in the different units that come out. I don't see how GW really makes all that much money on that either. Certain people who can afford to do it will just hoard boxes and boxes of the most powerful/broken limited run stuff and then soak others on ebay for a chance to get them. If you say that won't happen -- how many people stt on unopened boxes of M:tG boosters just to sell off powerful cards at a large profit? WotC doesn't see any of that profit and neither will GW if ltd release is the way they go.

And where does it say in the current rules that you have to play games at 2000pts+? I'm a family man and most of my games are played against other people who also have familial obligations. We usually find ourselves playing games after 9:00pm on a weekday so we have to play smaller games (usually 1000-1500pts) due to time constraints. Does it limit what you can use? Sure it does. But won't the same thing happen in a new edition if they "make it easier" to use smaller armies? Most people play the large games because they want to use a large variety and some of the mechanics (I'm looking at you Horde rule) don't work well at lower levels. Is it really that much easier to play a smaller game in 40K? I find that you're just as limited in small games of 40K as you are in small games of WFB. I play Necrons in 40K and, again, a LOT of small games so most of my armies are just a unit of warriors, a unit of immortals, and then just changing what the other 3 or 4 items in the list are b/w the 5 or 6 other units I have.

Going to all round bases ... that's going to cause a lot of havoc. I don't know about most but I tend to try (try being the key word here) to make pretty bases - multiple materials w/ multiple layers of paint. And I don't use PVA glue, I use super glue when putting my base material on. I was miffed enough when GW changed ungors from 20mm to 25mm and back down to 20mm. I can't tell you how many ungors hit the garbage can because they were broken beyond repair trying to swap bases. Having to rebase MULTIPLE armies?!? ...

As for me for now...I will take it all w/ a grain of salt. I'm really hoping the changes are not so drastic. If they are, well, thanks for nothing GW. I'll be looking for a new fantasy style game.

post #70 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-10-15, 06:40 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarnalBloodfist View Post
If GW goes the way of ltd releases the game turns into a game of "he who spends the most wins the most".
Not really. We've already seen a few limited edition minis like the SW lord and BA captain in 40k, but their stats are no way over powered compared to anything you can't already build from their codexes. They are just a gimmick to drive sales of the campaign boxes they come in. I can't see it being any different in WFB.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode