Warhammer Fantasy 9th Edition Rumour - Page 20 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 01:00 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

To steal a post I made elsewhere regarding Fantasy:

Quote:
I think GW is watching the money coming from WFB circling down the drain and the line has probably been running in the red for some time. Add in the CHS which proved they had a lot of stuff that was just too generic to protect and I think we have all the right ingredients to lead to a drastic change to try and save the game before they are forced to kill it completely.

Yes, this is a thing that angers a lot of veteran players, but how often are veteran players actually buying anything for WFB? Locally it's only when a release comes out and then it's just the rulebook, and maybe some of the new kits. There are little to no new players joining the game anymore because starting an army is as expensive, if not more expensive than starting a Sisters army, so when an old player leaves there is no money coming in to replace them.

The game is dying because GW tried to pander to veterans and collectors and have priced out everyone else by requiring huge model counts to even start an army. Could they just update things with a new edition and hope it starts to draw people in? Sure. But look at how much discussion is generating. I mean we've only had the smallest shreds of rumors on what the lore alone is doing and the smallest hinting of rules and we're at 35 pages and counting.

Sure, GW might lose some money from veteran players (though with rumors saying the rules will support a play style similar to 8th edition means that they could still use the rulebook even if they don't want to use new stuff or follow the new lore), but a drastic change like this is generating discussion and in turn will generate interest by newer players and may be the kind of shot in the arm the game needs to bring people back to WFB.

Are people going to be mad? Sure. People are always mad when things change in a different direction than they expect or want (I expect a LOT of rage when Star Wars Episode VII releases for just that reason), but if this helps the game in the long run then a few pissed off people now is worth it.

Worst case is this seals WFB's fate and they kill the game sooner than they would now, best case is it starts to grow a community again and the game stops running in the red all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 09:15 AM

Firewolf's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
The thing with Harry is that, at least for Fantasy rumors, he tends to be REALLY dead on (like he's batting at least a 95%+) which is why he gets a lot of cred.

The only thing that throws me off is how the Mordhiem-like game fails to explain this:

If 8th is plugging along as normal, why are those on round bases?
>> Not having a dig here, and its not just you, but if round bases are gonna be the next thing, why has no-one mentioned that Thanquol and Bone-ripper are still on a square/rectangular base. Could be that who-ever built the plague-furnace mini thought they looked better on a round base. I huvnae commented on the rumours, but people getting their panties in a twist over something that aint happening for another 4-6 months just feels a bit stupid to me. As i said though Zion, not a dig at you buddy.

>> Also, all the new Skaven stuff has been released on square bases too.

------------------------------------------------------
>> This is just an opinion. If you agree with it cool. If ye dont, its still cool.
>> Here I am and here shall I die.
+++ attributed to Leman Russ at the Battle of Rising Fell +++

Last edited by Firewolf; 01-20-15 at 09:17 AM.
post #193 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 09:20 AM

Firewolf's Flag is: Scotland

>> The same shite stories banged about when 40k went to 6th ed. I just dont get why folks get so worked up over rumours. Call Gw shite when We find out exactly what the story is, not 5 months or whatever before the changes really happen. Peeps need to calm down.

------------------------------------------------------
>> This is just an opinion. If you agree with it cool. If ye dont, its still cool.
>> Here I am and here shall I die.
+++ attributed to Leman Russ at the Battle of Rising Fell +++

post #194 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 05:14 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

>> Perhaps because Fantasy is Fantasy and Fantasy is square base? 'Eavy metal painters don't tend to fuck up and put models on bases they're supplied with when they're showcasing official products.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #195 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 05:19 PM

Brother Cato's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
>> Perhaps because Fantasy is Fantasy and Fantasy is square base? 'Eavy metal painters don't tend to fuck up and put models on bases they're supplied with when they're showcasing official products.
Just to add onto Vaz's point, it could be because Thanquol is the model they want everyone to look at and pray they'll ignore the Screaming Bells because LOOKIT'SASHINEHNEWTHANQUOLMODEL? So for now it makes sense to continue to promote Square Bases, and then switch Bases when 9th drops.

Which probably means the 'Eavy Metal team has a shitton of rebasing to do as well.

Modelling Projects
post #196 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 05:29 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
The thing with Harry is that, at least for Fantasy rumors, he tends to be REALLY dead on (like he's batting at least a 95%+) which is why he gets a lot of cred.

The only thing that throws me off is how the Mordhiem-like game fails to explain this:

If 8th is plugging along as normal, why are those on round bases?
If 8th is going to continue, Skaven will be getting a new book (as theirs is still from 7ed), That could mean Screaming Bells could be converted to warmachines or to a random movement monster. Warmachines are not required to be on square bases (or even on bases at all). There are already a number of other monsters/units in WFB that are on round bases because of their strange rules.

(See Mangler Squigs for example)

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)

Last edited by iamtheeviltwin; 01-20-15 at 05:34 PM.
post #197 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 05:40 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
If 8th is going to continue, Skaven will be getting a new book (as theirs is still from 7ed), That could mean Screaming Bells could be converted to warmachines or to a random movement monster. Warmachines are not required to be on square bases (or even on bases at all). There are already a number of other monsters/units in WFB that are on round bases because of their strange rules.

(See Mangler Squigs for example)

This is actually quite a valid point
post #198 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 06:01 PM

Brother Cato's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'mma gonna let you finish this discussion, but right now we've had another stirring about the next book. Source is Anonymous, so take with copious amounts of Salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an anonymous source on Faeit 212
  • Last weekend in February for the last Endtimes book
  • 2 Hardcover books 248pages
  • First book has picture of Archaon on his fiery steed charging straight at you with flaming sword held to the side
  • Second book shows the Archaon model in a very similar pose, but with the Steed's head turned slightly towards the right.

Modelling Projects
post #199 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 06:37 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Huh. Is one a painting book perhaps?
post #200 of 301 (permalink) Old 01-20-15, 06:50 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

One is lore and the other is rules like the others?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode