Major Price Increases - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-03-08, 08:30 PM
itsonlyme's Flag is: United Kingdom

You are right, compared to everything else its is a very good deal, i would be tempted to say its one of the better starter sets i have seen GW do. But thats something im only going to buy one of to be fair, one good box set dosnt really justify yet another price rise which is on the premise of rising prices (which are actually dropping), infact in the england the only reason we arnt seeing these lower prices is due because the price is in $
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-03-08, 10:12 PM

Mighty's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyme View Post
actually oil prices are coming down (on the news today)
You are right they are coming down and I won't say I watch the news a lot, but more then most sixteen year olds and know enough to know that yes oil is coming down but I wasn't just talking about oil I meant everything in the world in general is going up. A lot of things not just GW are going up in price and thats all I was saying.
post #73 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-04-08, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty View Post
You are right they are coming down and I won't say I watch the news a lot, but more then most sixteen year olds and know enough to know that yes oil is coming down but I wasn't just talking about oil I meant everything in the world in general is going up. A lot of things not just GW are going up in price and thats all I was saying.
Aide from fuel, oil, eletric isnt really increasing in price, my other hobbies arnt seeing the same price rise, infact all the factors GW mention as the reason for a price rise really arnt true. Its amazing what you learn watching the news ;)

post #74 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-04-08, 12:59 PM

Odd, my gas and electricity bills are going up by between 9-32%, there's just been a rise in my main transport costs of 8.5%, over the last year food has gone up between 25-70%, and it was announced today that the UK inflation rate is 4.4%, more than double the government's target... so you must be living in the only part of the UK that isn't showing inflation, as far as I can see.

GW is a business; it has costs. It needs to recoup on them if it is to stay in business. It may make its financial situation worse by its bad decisions, but really that's by-the-by. Bottom line, it needs to make money. Raising prices is one way of doing that.

Cutting prices could also be a way of doing it (making 5 profit on a million items is not as good as making 1 profit on 10 million of them). Both strategies have risks.

It doesn't really matter if the prices of other luxury goods are coming down, and you're right they are; partly because GW's transportation costs are higher than for CDs, for instance - think how many CDs you could fit in the Macragge or Skull Pass or Black Reach boxes, then work out how much that "space" is worth. I'd suggest you could fit at least 60 CDs in the Macragge box, at a tenner a pop, that's 600 pounds. Multiply that by 500 boxes or ahatever a truck can hold... so a "GW trukkload" is worth 500x40 = 20,000; an "HMV truckload" is worth 500x600 = 300,000... but the costs for the truck are the same. In other words, GW have to run 15 times more trucks (have 15 times more transport cost) to pull the same profit as HMV. But that extra 15 times has to come from somewhere, so in fact, as their overheads are more, they need to sell more than 15 truckloads...

Not that I'm defending all of GW's decisions here. I think they could have handled many things better over many years. But some things that might be bad for GW are actually great for us in the short term. Black Reach is fabulously good value... there's about 160 worth of minis in there, if you buy them a box at a time, for 40 - that's a quarter of the price you'd pay over the year for them, which is pretty spectacular. I can't see how GW can sustain that, but in the meantime... wayhay! 120 quid's worth of free minis!

Meh. It's all just stuff. We'll continue playing while we can afford it and it's interesting. GW might price themselves out of the market, they may go bust, the quality may go down if they cut production costs, they may dick about and piss us all off. But, at the moment, in the face of mounting costs, some of the plastics (and especially Black Reach) are just fantastic deals.

:economic cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #75 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-04-08, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Orc View Post
Odd, my gas and electricity bills are going up by between 9-32%, there's just been a rise in my main transport costs of 8.5%, over the last year food has gone up between 25-70%, and it was announced today that the UK inflation rate is 4.4%, more than double the government's target... so you must be living in the only part of the UK that isn't showing inflation, as far as I can see.
Gas is the primary riser, not electricity, this has been going up by a far smaller amount, to be honest my eletric bills havent gone up, guess you choose the wrong supplier ;) Btw the i have seen GW products raise by 50% in 4 years (chaos warriors used to be 12), this is well about inflation, in short inflation has little to do with GW price rises. The price rises just create more price rises, people spend less and less on the hobby thus forcing a price rise (i think GW really overvalues that GW sticker on a packet)

Quote:
GW is a business; it has costs. It needs to recoup on them if it is to stay in business. It may make its financial situation worse by its bad decisions, but really that's by-the-by. Bottom line, it needs to make money. Raising prices is one way of doing that.
And raising prices again helps this how? sure it helps if people to continue to buy the same amount, i hear many people being put of from starting new armies or evening start new games. One of my mates was going to start a marine army however is struggling to justify paying 18 for a codex (which it will be after the 29th.

Quote:
Cutting prices could also be a way of doing it (making 5 profit on a million items is not as good as making 1 profit on 10 million of them). Both strategies have risks.
The merit of lower prices however is that people start to see the product as better value or lose with their wallets. I've been playing GW games for a long time, i think the chaos warrior box hit 18 i really started to question the value of their products, just recentlt i noticed that a plastic orc chariot costs the same as a metal Chaos chariot (WTF)

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if the prices of other luxury goods are coming down, and you're right they are; partly because GW's transportation costs are higher than for CDs, for instance - think how many CDs you could fit in the Macragge or Skull Pass or Black Reach boxes, then work out how much that "space" is worth. I'd suggest you could fit at least 60 CDs in the Macragge box, at a tenner a pop, that's 600 pounds. Multiply that by 500 boxes or ahatever a truck can hold... so a "GW trukkload" is worth 500x40 = 20,000; an "HMV truckload" is worth 500x600 = 300,000... but the costs for the truck are the same. In other words, GW have to run 15 times more trucks (have 15 times more transport cost) to pull the same profit as HMV. But that extra 15 times has to come from somewhere, so in fact, as their overheads are more, they need to sell more than 15 truckloads...
Ahh but it does because GW is a luxury item, nothing more, its matters because they are GW competitors, the real money loser for GW is it stores, hence all the closures. The other thing with GW is that is actually has little within the impulse buying range (this would actually boost sales alot). On impulse i might go buy a CD, its doubtful im going to buy a 40 box of knights because i have that urge.

Quote:
Not that I'm defending all of GW's decisions here. I think they could have handled many things better over many years. But some things that might be bad for GW are actually great for us in the short term. Black Reach is fabulously good value... there's about 160 worth of minis in there, if you buy them a box at a time, for 40 - that's a quarter of the price you'd pay over the year for them, which is pretty spectacular. I can't see how GW can sustain that, but in the meantime... wayhay! 120 quid's worth of free minis!
I think most things better would be more like it, i agree however that black reach is a great bargain, its a shame im only ever going to buy one box and need a 18 codex to use the marines.

Quote:
Meh. It's all just stuff. We'll continue playing while we can afford it and it's interesting. GW might price themselves out of the market, they may go bust, the quality may go down if they cut production costs, they may dick about and piss us all off. But, at the moment, in the face of mounting costs, some of the plastics (and especially Black Reach) are just fantastic deals.

:economic cyclops:
I dont think its a maybe, i think the problem is that GW relies to much on fanboys and kids with rich parents, to be honest i used to be a very loyal GW customer but i think with hoe poorly the rules are usually written and comments from jervis johnson along the lines of "i dont write rules for rules lawyers" or "its you own fault if you have rules arguments" Then we factor in the poor done HE release "oh lets just tweak two units, majorly shake up the force origination chart and use ASF in a really cunny manor, so cunning infact it fixes nothing! (the other thing that makes me think it was just to boost sales was the lack of any new core models). Then we move onto the chaos split invalidating so many armies, why exactly, ah yes, not to improve a game (better game = happy customers = more sales), no, and attempt to get people to buy what they dont want (i was less than impressed being stuck with a beastman army i dont want.

Ontop of all this (just to name a few) we then go and raise prices! oh yes! i swear to god, everytime i get past something GW does that annoys me they throw me a curve ball

Not the avid fan i once was, still i do enjoy my wargames well maybe its just the company that pisses me off

Last edited by itsonlyme; 09-04-08 at 05:24 PM.
post #76 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-04-08, 06:42 PM

beenburned's Flag is: United Kingdom

Surely the reason black reach is such a bargain is because they get more people into the game, as they see how cheap it is in comparison to the other products. This them gets people hooked, so they buy a few more units, expanding the armies provided. They may not end up being long time customers, but they've already given GW an overall profit. Surely that's how they can sustain it?
post #77 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-04-08, 08:02 PM

Yeah its a great deal if you want to play marines or orks, what about all the other armies? what about if you dont fancy playing 40k but warhammer? To start a new army is still going to cost more money because of a needless price rise. So i guess one good deal out weighs the rest of the products, well atleast some are kept happy easily, at the current priced a 2k Dark elf army is still going to cost me arounf 200, it dosnt have the largest model count either.
post #78 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-04-08, 11:32 PM

Mighty's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyme View Post
Aide from fuel, oil, eletric isnt really increasing in price, my other hobbies arnt seeing the same price rise, infact all the factors GW mention as the reason for a price rise really arnt true. Its amazing what you learn watching the news ;)
Tin really is going up. Isn't that there reason why they are raising there prices? And I totally agree it is thats why I make sure to watch it at least once a day so I can stay up to speed with wordly events.
post #79 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-05-08, 10:19 AM

yeah its a sad thing that tin has been going up, i believe reaper miniatures are going back to using lead to lower the cost of models (almost halves it actually), i'd be more than happy if GW did something like that to cut costs. Its also not the cost of tin but the minimum wage raising, i have no symphony for this because they shouldnt have relied on taking advantage of students to get a decent profit margin in the first place.

Still the price of tin going shouldnt have a effect on the priced of codexs, i mean 18 for a marine codex (its 15 until the 29Th so only on advance order). The other thing is that GW has made alot of mistakes, basically they expect the customer to pay for these. At the end of the day it comes down to who needs the other more, do you need GW or does GW need you. If you think GW needs you why are you willing to pay more than you should, if you think you need GW then be my guest and support the constant price rise of GW. Currently i really do think they are pricing themselves out of my budget and i doubt i actually need to buy more models, the other thing is that GW isnt the only company that makes models, plenty more companies about that offer good better value (reaper certainly seeming like it may be one), I guess it depends if you have to have that GW chaos knight or space marine.
post #80 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-05-08, 06:19 PM

DarthIbis's Flag is: USA

I have to say that the "transport prices have gone up" argument is somewhat misleading as well. Since GW will sell you something from mail order and still charge shipping for it calls that into question.

One could say that it's part of their distribution cost in getting the product from their base to their outlets, but since you pay the same list price on a box whether you buy it from a GW corporate store or mail order makes me wonder. Rogue Traders (at least here in the US) pay 55% of retail as "cost" when they buy stock from GW. Assuming they sell at full price, 45% of the list is gross profit for the retailer. Because of the large mark-up, some retailers chose to sell at a discount (20% is common) so they are making only 25% gross profit now and can handle it in all likelihood due to their reduced overhead, etc. Many times, you'll pay extra for shipping from there as well if you are mail-ordering product.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode