Major Price Increases - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:01 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

How often do GW prices go up? Inflation is 4.4% in the UK at the moment - all GW's costs are going up so they have to charge more or start firing staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:02 PM

cooldudeskillz's Flag is: United Kingdom

mmmmmm taking GW's side...........your a spy, amit it

Daemons
W:9 D:0 L:0

Chaos Marines
W:21 D:2 L:3

If you want peace.....prepare for war!
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:08 PM

yeha 4.4 theres are going up between 5-and50%! and not that long ago they went u 20% in everything

post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:16 PM

Among other things, I am a management consultant and I understand how companies work. It is simple economics, not brain surgery. The UK is on the edge of recession, why would GW be the only company not to face difficult times?
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:35 PM

cooldudeskillz's Flag is: United Kingdom

because they control the world and it's leaders

Daemons
W:9 D:0 L:0

Chaos Marines
W:21 D:2 L:3

If you want peace.....prepare for war!
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:59 PM

Wilder's Flag is: USA

Like the models and paint aren't pricey enough already?!
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 01:22 PM

ARMORMAN's Flag is: USA

In 91 I bought a box of 30 beakies (still have them and the box) for $16 U.S. Now 17 years later, I can get a box of 5 figs for $35.......that's not just an inflation issue, it's also appeasing the investors (and gouging us). I have no problem with a price increase due to legitemate costs, but trying to appease a group of greedy old farts who don't even play but just suck the life out of younger folks is just wrong.

Guess I'll just continue to make my paper figs and armor.....
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 01:31 PM

Simple solution: get a job!
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 02:06 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

I don't particularly mind TBH. I'm in the UK and it's pretty obvious that something's gotta give. I'll still buy models, i'll just get less for my money, same as pretty much anything else over here.

I'd rather pay more for my hobby than see it fade away.
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 02:13 PM

Why?

Is the opperative question. If we pull our heads out of the gaming zones and army lists and have a flick through the financial pages of the paper it should be clear that there are simple, legitimate economic reasons for this happening. Indeed if you need some minis soon, buy before the price increases come.

Note the following:

(1) Inflation on a global basis is running in double digits in many countries and near record high in developing countries at around 5-6% per annum.

(2) Fuel, food and metal price increases have been extremely large due to high demand for all of these for all kinds of consumer products and due also to the gradual growth of the middle classes in China and India as well as other places. Demand increasing while supply does not leads to an increase in cost.

(3) Fuel costs obviously increase the delivery costs of products and shipping companies ARE raising their prices significantly, so that flows on to all products not only miniatures.
As high oil prices looks to be here to stay, that won't go away.

(4) Metal costs have been very high in the last year. Consider other resources. Rio Tinto and BHP (Two mining companies based in Australia) suddenly increased the price of coking coal by 85% IN ONE DAY two months ago. The raw material for minis has I think doubled in price in the last twelve months or so, the prices cannot be held down forever.

(5) Despite it all, GW is not very profitable really. We may feel they rip us off, but its not true, they are much closer to a condition of "hand to mouth" then you may imagine. Businesses incur many costs, and since most of them are paying our beloved GW staff and game designers we should accept that!

So CALM DOWN guys! This is not GW trying to make us all suffer! They are basically trapped in the present world inflation crisis along with the rest of us!

They are passing on costs, and actually doing it after some delays because pewter prices have been spiking for ages, while mini prices have gone up much more slowly!

They are really trying to keep prices within reason!

If you want to panic, it shouldn't be about your hobby! If things get a little hard you will have fewer models and will just have to spend more time painting them properly.

The real concern is if the various economic problems get worse and we have to worry about REAL problems, like losing jobs or, even (yegads!) Starting to go hungry if a real crisis in global inflation continues to unfold over the next couple of years!

Be calm, things always change and global price inflation is part of our present condition.

OTG

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode