How many people would like a wargaming/gaming pub in London! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

View Poll Results: would you use a gaming pub in london
Yes 18 69.23%
No 6 23.08%
Maybe 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Default How many people would like a wargaming/gaming pub in London!

Hi guys
im posting this as i am in the process of getting or rather attempting to get the funding for a pub in London, i've worked in pubs for many years but have always wanted a gaming pub were you can play our favourite game ( any system ) and have a beer without having to go all the way to nottingham. The idea is a simple one, make a pub which caters for the gaming community in north to central london, on site would be gaming tables, a studio for guest artists to come and show of there work and skills, a medium sized hobby/art store located on the top floor for any hobby needs and on the ground floor a pub offering food, beer and live entertainment during the week.
so what im looking for is some feed back, how many people would be interested in a pub that was aimed at gamers, and before you ask it wont cost a fortune ever for the beer
if any one has any ideas or comments please leave them on this thread as we will consider every thing you all say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 10:37 AM

The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

I'm not from England, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't want this. It sounds fantastic.

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 11:30 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irish Commissar View Post
I'm not from England, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't want this. It sounds fantastic.
This. I would kill to have something like this in my hometown!

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 11:43 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love the idea and I would certainly go (as would the missus)
but having seen speciality pubs, bars and clubs fail far more often then not,
I can't say I would be convinced in anyones ability to keep it open a year.

That said,
if you do get it off the ground please message me and I will attempt to help drum up support and assistance for you.............

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 12:29 PM
Halloween Town

jondoe297's Flag is: England

Sounds like an excellent idea!

Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs aren't Happy
Malifaux/hobby podcast - check it out for inane ramblings
http://isleoffauxrecords.podbean.com/
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
Like I said I've worked in pubs for many years and have been building up to this for some time. I'm doing it as a kickstarter, once it's ready to go ill add the info for you all. As for it being a success it's going to take time going to take time to get every ones attention but once were established it should be fine. Plus it's not just a pub we will also have our own hobby stir with paints and other artist materials ect.
Fingers crossed any way
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 02:53 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Im gonna say no, personally i dont think its a good idea and i dont think that it will work outside of GW HQ.

I dont think there is enough of a concentration of gamers anywhere in the UK to warrant a public house catering for them, Pubs generally are having a terrible time getting people through the door without making a pub dedicated to our nerdy hobby, i admire that you want to mix your trade and your hobby passion, but somethings are not meant to be, you have a back ground in the licence trade, i would suggest opening or running a pub that caters for as many different diverse people as possible who have loads of disposable income and dont mind paying for over priced beer, most wargamers seem to be living in poverty, claiming that they regularly have to choose between grey plastic crack or eating/heating/rent, these are hardly the demographic to go after if you want to keep you pub business viable.
The other thing to consider would be the brewery's, i assume you would be a free house as no brewery would offer a tenancy for a pub via this route, and margins in a free/lease house are negligible and often come with strings attached and often require a significant investment and to be perfectly honest they may not be willing to supply to a pub for wargamers, not to mention its alot of graft for very little reward.

My advice would be if you want to run a pub, do it, but find one with a function room, and start a gaming club in the fucntion room, run the pub for the public and enjoy gaming nights in the function room for the gamers,but remember one is dying trade and the other is a niche business, if you try and puch them together you will likely end up with a dying niche .

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 03:49 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

From my perspective @bitsandkits has the right of it. I can't see a pub dedicated to tabletop gaming being your bread and butter, but a pub that has extra options could work. Of course I'm not from the UK, but it would be the same over here.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 03:50 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Love the idea but i have to agree with B/K here. Focus on running a pub and if youre lucky enough to get a locale to have a function room then you can cater to wargamers more so on the side. The other route you could go (and i have seen this work) is to start with a comic book or hobby store and then expand and offer alcohol for sale. it just wouldn't be a true pub.
Your Dream i think is everyone elses dream but its still a business and how you would make a living.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 06:48 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I'm with @bitsandkits mate, do not combine the two, run the pub as a pub but one that is gamer friendly, use the function room for gaming events, maybe run a local tourney out of it, let the place get a name as a "gamers" pub

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode