Space Wolves Rumors - Page 51 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #501 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 03:49 PM

Brother Cato's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmuffin View Post
Ok, so on Grimnar. Being a Lord of War means he'll not be that common a sight on the battlefield, but holy jesus his rules are immense. I'm wondering will he still be able to give his unit special rules every turn, because if so he'll be out and out one of the best characters in the game. Stormrider downgrades all penetrating hits to glancing hits, which means a minimum of 3 hits to bring it down, and if that is coupled with the alleged 4++ it has then it will be an absolutely awesome option, since it's bringing your combat focused monster that is Logan 12" every turn, so he has a potential 24" threat range. Immense.

Also apparently if you follow the SW standard formation then all standard units get outflank on a 4+. 40 grey hunters with re-rollable outflank will be a tricky one to deal with. I'm liking what i'm hearing so far
I still don't know how to feel about this. I still remember what (apparently) happened to Ghazkull now he's a Lord of War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Now this I wouldn't have any problem buying. Way better than the row boat.
Do you think it goes Back to the Future? X3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 01:13 AM

psactionman's Flag is: USA

Any other iPad users notice the Space Wolf interactive edition is not available in the iBooks store?
post #503 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 06:38 AM
Eva

Eva's Flag is: New Zealand

Been reading through the codex today. The psychic power's are pants. Better off using the rule book powers. JoW is a joke lol.

post #504 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Been reading through the codex today. The psychic power's are pants. Better off using the rule book powers. JoW is a joke lol.
Speaking of, does JotWW eat units now, or just snipe the one guy?

Modelling Projects
post #505 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 07:12 AM
Eva

Focused witchfire. So id imagine one, normally random guy. MC's Auto pass. All for the low price of two warp charges..

post #506 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Focused witchfire. So id imagine one, normally random guy. MC's Auto pass. All for the low price of two warp charges..
I...just...what?! O_O

So presumably, you can't even use this for sniping IC's or important models? Come to think of it, does it even have any kind of effect on vehicles? It sounds on paper like something went from "horrifically OP" to "nerfed into buggery".

Modelling Projects
post #507 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 07:20 AM
Eva

Targets single non vehicle 18' away. Yep, not a fan of them.

post #508 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Targets single non vehicle 18' away. Yep, not a fan of them.
So...wow. I think everyone knew Jaws was gonna get nerfed...but this doesn't sound like the sort of power I'd pray to get on a Six. This sounds like the sort of occasion where I'd pray NOT to get a Six.

Between this, Logan shuffling his way into being a Lord of War and all the retconning (hey look, the Wolf Brothers don't seem to exist anymore and apparently despite using the Codex Astartes as toilet paper, our companies follow some of it's tenants!) and other stupidity (Murderfang), I'm starting to think not even the Helfrost guns and shiny new Bjorn model can save it now.

Modelling Projects
post #509 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 07:42 AM
Eva

Well I have only had a quick read through it, and apart from the psychic powers being rather lackluster and some fluff quirks, the book seems fairly decent.

It Brings the wolves into line with the newer codex, which is definitely not a bad thing.

post #510 of 541 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 09:18 AM

psactionman's Flag is: USA

I like what I am reading so far. I am a little disappointed about the loss of the anti-psyker stuff, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Long Fang's special split fire, and Terminators in drop pods.

Njal got a bit of a side shuffle. He is finally ML3, and gets to re-roll a failed psychic test and deny the witch each psychic phase, so that is pretty cool. Definitely brings him more in line with Tigur and Mephi. But, no more Chooser of the Slain or Tempest powers. Rune Priests can buy a Psychic Hood for 10 points and all have Adamantium Will.

Iron Priests get Thunder Hammers for free, which is silly since their servo-arm is already x2 Strength, but I guess you get to choose between Concussive or AP1 so I guess I can see it.

Basic CAD lets you have up to 6 HQs and requires 2 HQ just to play. Not all units get Outflank on a 4+ only Troops with an IC in their unit get that 4+, everyone else is a 6. But you also get to pick one unit in Reserves every turn after the first and they automatically come on the board, so that is kind of nice.

I don't know why people are so hard on Murderfang. Sure the name is stupid, and the unmeltable mega alien ice claws make me sad, but in combat he is a beast. Get a FW Dreadnought Drop Pod and drop him down, flame the enemy then disembark next round and tear it up. His fluff is stupid (with the exception of a Wulfin Dreadnought, which is an interesting concept) but his rules are stupid good.

Psychic powers are meh at best. JotWW is only good if you have a single model unit or a group of elites that you don't care who dies first. Focused witchfire with 1 casualty, and no vehicles or MC, is as was said before, mega nerf. Living Lightning has a Tesla effect, so that sounds fun to play with. The Wolf Spirits seemed to get better, one of them has Precision Shots on it, but I am still in the meh category. Go Biomancy and rip crap up.

All in all I think it is a step in the right direction and brought them back in line with other Codexes, and I am really looking forward to getting them into glorious combat. I am just disappointed at HOW they did that and am not thrilled with all of the changes.

Last edited by psactionman; 08-09-14 at 12:55 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode