Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Change Coming to GW Stores?

3K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Cougar 
#1 ·
While digging about to see what I could see I ran into a little post over on 40kforums:

So, the GW I go to to game on sundays has been ordered from up high to do two things.

1. Follow the Warriors Code from Warhammer World
2. Allow forgeworld.

This has caused two things, allowing forgeworld means forgeworld rules, which has a lot of people excited and a lot of people annoyed.

However I imagine the warriors code will be the biggest problem, as it severely limits conversions (gotta ask permisison first) and means all models MUST be painted, and MUST be based.

now my GW has decided that 'fuck that' and states as long as you show improvement in painting/modelling, you don't need a fully painted army, and may have conversions.

What's your take on this?
So what's Heresy's take? Good? Bad? Doesn't matter?

I for one am unchanged by this turn of events because I've never been to a GW store, but it's interesting to know about at least.

#2 · (Edited)
Yeah, that is too bad. My army is unpainted, so if I'm unable to play it at my local GW store, I suppose I have no reason to ever return there again. Shame, I like the gamers. Plus, many of my units are converted/counts-as.

I really don't care what people think of me for not using a painted army. It's simply not a priority for me right now. I just wanna play the damn game! Oh well, the independent gaming store has 4 times as many tables and hundreds of terrain pieces to use, more parking, plenty of tabletop games for public use, and friendlier staff who allow their customers to play however they please. IF these rules are enforced, then it's not a difficult choice at all to decide between the two.

#3 · (Edited)
What is the 'Warriors Code'? My local store is WHW. My army is in no way painted, and half of it is raw plastic. I have no trouble playing there. Neither do the dozens of armies I see there every time I go through.

Also, no conversions? That's the biggest pile of steaming turds I've ever heard. The staff at WHW actively encourage conversions...

I think the 'orders from on high' may be an excuse for the manager wanting to be a dick...

#8 ·
My local store has invoked the stand and deliver ruleset,

the bad side of these rules
1 the store is run by a masked gunman,
2 you get robbed when you walk through the doors
and
3 Waitrose is considering leaving the area meaning less posh milfs

however there are positives
1 there are free stables for while you shop/get mugged
and
2 waitrose is considering leaving the area

#10 ·
GW stores are awful places anyway. Come play at your FLGS, where you'll only be actively encouraged to paint your models, as opposed to required to, and can play however you want. Also, no hard sales. Unless your FLGS is run by a dick.

#22 ·
I think you have had bad experiences with GW stores! The one I go to is the best games shop I visit, tips of painting are given often.

And the other shops are filled with people whom hate on GW, and the products. In a GW shop you dont have to put up with that bullying.

#12 ·
The Warrior's Code thing is to stop you bringing an unpainted Warmachine army to a 40k event. As with every announcement of this type ever, it makes itself out to be more totalitarian than 1930s Germany while actually being incredibly lax and/or completely ignored.

If it's recognizably 40k, and has three colours (one of which can be the basecoat colour, so paint I dunno, eyes and gun cases), then it's allowed.

#13 ·
The Warrior's Code thing is to stop you bringing an unpainted Warmachine army to a 40k event. As with every announcement of this type ever, it makes itself out to be more totalitarian than 1930s Germany while actually being incredibly lax and/or completely ignored.
maybe, but my warmachine dreadnought conversion is getting nervious just hearing about these rules. i had a post somewhere on him before the guy i barrowed the cell cam from left my house, he's basicly a dreadnought body with warmachine arms, legs and head with GW weapons.

#20 ·
While digging about to see what I could see I ran into a little post over on 40kforums:

So what's Heresy's take? Good? Bad? Doesn't matter?

I for one am unchanged by this turn of events because I've never been to a GW store, but it's interesting to know about at least.
Last week I was talking to my GW store Manager about just this.

Warriors Code is not being put into place, they just need to make sure that no 3rd part stuff is used.

Forgeworld Models are allowed, and in the organised events (tornys/Leagus) you can include them in your lists. I doubt they will use the whole Warriors Code, from what I gather the managment have said "make the store somewhere people want to visit, and thus spend money.

#21 ·
I utterly despise visiting any GW store. If I have to, I adopt some sort of ninja-esque approach, in and out without being spotted or asked if I need paint or glue.

I would never, ever, EVER game there.

#26 ·
Never been to a GW store for real when I actually played, and I live in the backwoods of NC, there ain't no GW stores about here, and the FLGS is a hour away.

So, this doesn't effect me that much, but I will be on the lookout if I do go.

#27 ·
I've just started getting back into the hobby after a very long hiatus. My local GW is Manchester Arndale and in the few times I've been in, they haven't harassed me to buy anything or been annoying at all. Maybe I've just been lucky, bug it seems perfectly friendly in there.

#28 ·
Lucky for me all the GW stores around me closed so no worries here. Plus I have two great FLG's near me that encourage conversions and have no problem with unpainted armies. Mine is one of the few fully painted armies at the place.

#29 ·
Being someone who visits many different GW stores (I don't work for them) I can say that most I have visited are not that pushy and the ones that are tend to be less pushy the second time you visit,
the best stores I have visited (especially South Wales and the Netherlands) have a very open approach to things and don't tend to feel the need to go all little Hitler with rules, store policies and forcing people into buying things...

#32 ·
I think the popular conception of a GW employee is kinda like the toaster from red dwarf.
You walk into the shop and you state

"I don't need any paints, brushes, drills or glue. Nor do I need any CSM's, CD's, Orks, Astra Militarum, Inquisition, Imperial Knights, Necrons, Tau, SoB, SM's, Eldar or Dark Eldar. I don't play fantasy and also don't want any Empire, Dwarfs, Bretonnia, Lizardmen, High Elves, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Demons of chaos, Beastmen, Orc&Goblins, Skaven, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings or Ogre's Nor do I need any extra codex's, Rulebooks, Expansions, Scenery, Bitz, Supplements, dice, BRB's, LRB's in fact anything to read at all, tape measures or whippy sticks. I don't need tickets for gamesday, I don't need any spray paints AND I definitely don't need no smegging white dwarf (weekly or monthly)"

"Ah, so you're an audio CD man"

In all honesty, I've never had a bad experience in a GW store when it comes to buying or gaming. They've all been fairly open friendly places. I even game there on occasion - and I'm not under 12.

I've certainly felt more comfortable in there than in some other shops I've been to. One stands out for me, it had one lonely GW hating neckbeard looking after the shop and making people feel bad if they wanted to go through the GW parts they used to do (great shop - if you went in when the owner was there, not the hired help)
And this guy REALLY hated GW. A 20 minute rant on GW being evil should not be compulsory for people trying to buy said companies products...

#33 ·
The whole 'Warrior's code' business I think is more aimed at kids - it stops them walking in with a mass of unpainted, poorly put together models. sod's law defines that you (if you're ever daft enough to game in a GW store) will be the one awaiting an opponent and it'll be you that has to play with them.

I'm sure you'd be allowed a couple of unpainted units on the table with you're opponents permission - just not the whole damn army.

I however, sprue paint/pin paint... so my units are actually mostly assembled post-painting.

#38 ·
My local GW store used to be run by an Irish guy.
When his sales were up he was a nice friendly store keep.
Other times he was proper pushy, hard selling kids etc.
Me missus had to drag me away as i was going to argue with him about selling a mother and son combo the old eldar codex.......the day before the new one came out !
He's been repaced by a happy friendly rep that leaves everyone alone until asked for something.
A perfect GW guy in that respect..... seen and not hear until summoned :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.