Change Coming to GW Stores? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Default Change Coming to GW Stores?

While digging about to see what I could see I ran into a little post over on 40kforums:

Quote:
So, the GW I go to to game on sundays has been ordered from up high to do two things.

1. Follow the Warriors Code from Warhammer World
2. Allow forgeworld.

This has caused two things, allowing forgeworld means forgeworld rules, which has a lot of people excited and a lot of people annoyed.

However I imagine the warriors code will be the biggest problem, as it severely limits conversions (gotta ask permisison first) and means all models MUST be painted, and MUST be based.

now my GW has decided that 'fuck that' and states as long as you show improvement in painting/modelling, you don't need a fully painted army, and may have conversions.

What's your take on this?
So what's Heresy's take? Good? Bad? Doesn't matter?

I for one am unchanged by this turn of events because I've never been to a GW store, but it's interesting to know about at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 07:32 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Yeah, that is too bad. My army is unpainted, so if I'm unable to play it at my local GW store, I suppose I have no reason to ever return there again. Shame, I like the gamers. Plus, many of my units are converted/counts-as.

I really don't care what people think of me for not using a painted army. It's simply not a priority for me right now. I just wanna play the damn game! Oh well, the independent gaming store has 4 times as many tables and hundreds of terrain pieces to use, more parking, plenty of tabletop games for public use, and friendlier staff who allow their customers to play however they please. IF these rules are enforced, then it's not a difficult choice at all to decide between the two.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -

Last edited by venomlust; 03-14-14 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 07:34 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

What is the 'Warriors Code'? My local store is WHW. My army is in no way painted, and half of it is raw plastic. I have no trouble playing there. Neither do the dozens of armies I see there every time I go through.

Also, no conversions? That's the biggest pile of steaming turds I've ever heard. The staff at WHW actively encourage conversions...

I think the 'orders from on high' may be an excuse for the manager wanting to be a dick...

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff

Last edited by SilverTabby; 03-14-14 at 07:37 PM.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
What is the 'Warriors Code'? My local store is WHW. My army is in no way painted, and half of it is raw plastic. I have no trouble playing there. Neither do the dozens of armies I see there every time I go through.

Also, no conversions? That's the biggest pile of steaming turds I've ever heard. The staff at WHW actively encourage conversions...

I think the 'orders from on high' may be an excuse for the manager wanting to be a dick...
Warrior's Code is a set of guidelines used by WHW for events.

Here it is: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_..._2014_V1.4.pdf

I think the conversion rule is in there mostly to ensure people don't model for advantage, and so they can screen those out.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 08:07 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
Warrior's Code is a set of guidelines used by WHW for events.

Here it is: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_..._2014_V1.4.pdf

I think the conversion rule is in there mostly to ensure people don't model for advantage, and so they can screen those out.
So it's only for tournaments held there, as opposed to just day to day play? And I'm going to assume the conversion thing is in relation to larger models as opposed to a simple hand or head swap for your SM captain?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
So it's only for tournaments held there, as opposed to just day to day play? And I'm going to assume the conversion thing is in relation to larger models as opposed to a simple hand or head swap for your SM captain?
Tournaments and special events. And the conversions aren't specified by type so all conversions require an okay to field.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 08:25 PM
Badknox's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
Tournaments and special events. And the conversions aren't specified by type so all conversions require an okay to field.
my local independant shop has been like that for a while for events. I'm ok with it, it means you get an excuse to focus and churn out some paint jobs. Conversion rule they implemented after someone brought in a styrofoam block and said it was a necron something or other... every model, including some scratch built oblits were approved for use without issue. In our modeling group there are at least a dozen people with fully painted armies so I'm sure that helps the issue
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 08:43 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

My local store has invoked the stand and deliver ruleset,

the bad side of these rules
1 the store is run by a masked gunman,
2 you get robbed when you walk through the doors
and
3 Waitrose is considering leaving the area meaning less posh milfs

however there are positives
1 there are free stables for while you shop/get mugged
and
2 waitrose is considering leaving the area

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 09:00 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
1 there are free stables for while you shop/get mugged
Handy for those who don't usually have somewhere to leave their horse while they game.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 09:11 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

GW stores are awful places anyway. Come play at your FLGS, where you'll only be actively encouraged to paint your models, as opposed to required to, and can play however you want. Also, no hard sales. Unless your FLGS is run by a dick.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode