Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Imperial Knight Spotted?

44K views 475 replies 57 participants last post by  locustgate 
#1 ·
#344 ·
Found this Press Release

the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine. Crafted in the Dark Age of Technology and resplendent with gothic details it presents a unique silhouette both in a display cabinet and on the battlefield. Fighting alongside armies of the Imperium and others too, the Imperial Knights can be used with many affilliated armies with any of the incoming 32 separate Imperial Knight Codexes that will be arriving in the near future and so no one feels left out this will be fully intergrated with the game system of The Hobbit!

#351 ·
I'm looking forward to the third part of the hobbit, but i'd be looking forward to it a fuckton more if Smaug had to fight an army of titans. The the knights went and smashed up the shire.

#346 · (Edited)
Ugh... fucking... bah. http://natfka.blogspot.com/2014/02/codex-imperial-knight-details-questions.html

Just wow, here are the details of the Imperial Knight codex and will answer a lot of the questions that everyone is asking. Things like, who can ally, warlord traits, mechanicum entries if any, and more.

All I can say is that this codex will upset some that were wanting more allied connections, even though this does not preclude future and near future dataslates or expansions to allow for Chaos Knights. I prefer it this way, as I would like to see some dedicated new units for Chaos Knights, rather than just slapping them into the allied chart.

Other things not here, Mechanicum or Freeblade entries. It appears to be a one army codex for Imperial Knights with very little in the new unit categories beyond the Knights we already are seeing. This is in fact a mini-dex, and it will be a popular one at that. Imperial Knights are the ultimate crossover unit for escalation scale models and units in our game.

Imperial Knights are in my opinion excellent models, and will be a ton of fun to work into my lists.

Please remember that these are rumors, as the codex has not been released, as is from someone claiming to have an early codex.

via Father Gabe on Faeit 212
I have had a chance to skim through my advanced copy of Codex: Imperial Knight. Here are the highlights:
1) For non-Imperial Knight armies...you can get up to 3 as a separate detachment. This is a separate detachment from allies and lord of war...which is the new template I am guessing we will see in future codexes...sorry everyone Escalation is standard. Unless of course I looked at that box wrong...

2) Datasheets. There is a section in the codex, after organization chart, that covers Datasheets. None are mentioned but looks like these will be popping up in books...sorry everyone that don't consider them official, etc...

3) Ally Matrix:
Battle Brothers: Everyone Else
Allies of Convenience: Eldar,Grey Knights
Desperate Allies: Tau, Dark Eldar
Apocalypse: Orks, Necrons, Chaos Demons, Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids

4) Primary Detachment: 3 - 6 Imperial Knights. 1 is the designated Warlord (roll on Imperial Knight Warlord Trait table...yep Warlord Traits).
Additionally: Your remaining Imperial Knights in the Primary formation can roll on the Knight Apparent/Knight Seneschal chart. 1 - Knight is -1 WS/BS, Ion Shield is 5+ now. 2-5 Your an Imperial Knight. 6 - Knight is +1 WS/BS, Ion Shield is 3+ now.

5) Concerning Warlord Traits: They range up and down from being useful to 'meh'. Examples: +1" to Run/Charge range. +1 to Building Damage Chart. My favorite: Warlord gains It Will Not Die!

6) Let me stop all the questions now ladies and gentleman. Cannot show pictures. There are no other unit entries for Adeptus Mechanicum or Freeblades. They are not even listed on the ally chart.

7) The Companion Guide is amazingly beautiful for coffee table style books. Its a big book, lots of pretty pictures, etc. It does not contain rules but for collectors its a nice buy. Average guy might not buy it but dedicated collectors will want to order it. I recommend ordering it in a Games Workshop, ship to the store for safety and protection of the book.

Father Gabe
Eldar at the same tier as Grey Knights, huh? WS/BS5 and 3+ invuln, huh? Fuck outta here.

Well, at least now we know. There's no way they're releasing one of these for every army. No way. Possibly/hopefully Chaos, speaking selfishly.

Eldar, really? That part bugs me, for some reason. PURGE THE GAT DANG ALIEN? No?

To reiterate my comment from earlier, though. There are definitely people who ordered these based on the bad information provided by GW employees. Goes to show you should always wait until you have the book in hand, but that's still some bullshit, right there. I know the manager of my local GW store isn't the rules police and doesn't know everything, but why the hell did he tell me I could use them as a CSM player? *shrug* Glad I didn't order one yet!

#350 ·
This is going to be some under handed shit. Telling every one they can use them, then say. 'well fuck you and you and you, but you... you're good'. Also if the mini-dex reall is just the 2 current knights, I'm going to be sorely disappointed. I know they have to make money, but this is looking to be just bad practices.
We will know soon.

#358 ·
Makes sense that eldar have a good relationship with the knight houses, one as a nod to the epic knights of old and the fact that these chaps are likely to be far more open minded and than the chaps close to terra, I also think it shows a much higher level of fluff writing and better understanding of what would be galactic level politics, just because parts of the imperium follow the purge the alien ideal to the letter there will also be plenty who for there own reasons (and gains) will work with other races willingly or begrudgingly and knight houses are far more likely to be comfortable overlooking the fact there allies have pointy ears and a huge chip on there shoulders about slaanesh.

#359 ·
Those fugging Eldar Knights and their jump jets! :ireful2:

#360 · (Edited)
It's funny that anyone would put stock into a faeit article anymore... but I digress (somewhat)

Even if it is true, couldn't you just hold off on tearing the shrink wrap off the box, and read the codex and see who they can ally with first? If your army can't ally with them, return the $140 model. Worst case scenario, you're stuck with a book that you can reference if you ever want to create a contingency plan for dealing with them, and GW learns they can't pull that kind of shady crap because the returns either bite into their profit margin significantly, or deprive them of a return on their initial investment in the mould.

#364 ·
It's funny that anyone would put stock into a faeit article anymore... but I digress (somewhat)
Some people hold Blood of Kippers in high regard so why not

I'm waiting till I have the codex in my hand and I can see if chaos knights are a thing or not for myself before I get excited.
As I understand it they will be usable with chaos, but at a later date

#361 ·
hey all not sure if its been said here ( lots pages to this post now lol)
but a freeblade knight is and I quote from wd weekly- "ancient tradition ensures that every noble pilot has the right to leave his knightly house and strike out on his own as a freeblade. these freeblade knights are tragic heroes, driven to leave their houses to pursue a cause of their own"
so by the sounds of that there just normal knights just with no house, and it goes on to say a freeblade knights give you the chance to forge your own narrative for your new miniature. so to me sounds like there just an option in the new knights codex and not a separate thing people are mentioning on the interweb.

#362 · (Edited)
I dunno, I'm done with believing anything at this point. I'm happy the knights are out, and through being butthurt about it. I just don't have the energy to be frustrated over this any more haha.

All that fluff about the Eldar is great and all, but I still think it's stupid. *shrug* Not about the fluff AFAIC. I just don't like them.

#363 · (Edited)
I'm waiting till I have the codex in my hand and I can see if chaos knights are a thing or not for myself before I get excited.

If I can, I'm so getting some myrmidon destructors as tech priesty obliterators and then a Mechanicum looking knight for kinda allied dark Mechanicus. If I can't take a knight I'll just have to paint my decimator. Sigh..., it's a hard life :grin:

#365 ·
chaos knights would not appear in the Imperial Knights book so im not sure why chaos players are worrying, the codex is called "Imperial Kights" after all. Chaos had Knights but they didnt look or act anything like the imperial ones,if the imperial one sells half as well as i expect you can bet your nut sack a chaos Knight will follow.

#366 ·
if the imperial one sells half as well as i expect you can bet your nut sack a chaos Knight will follow.
It's called the Storm Raven GW law of economics,
stop some people getting their grubby little protuberances on a model,
see some buy the kit anyway
later say "Yay we listened to you and here it is"
or "We thought it was fair to let you have one too"
when in fact it was planned from the beginning......

#368 ·
there is another thing I noticed in the weekly WD and ill quote again, - "there aree comprehensive rules to using your imperial knights in games , either as allies for a variety of existing warhammer 40000 aRMIES ( most prominently the armies of the imperium) or as a primary detachment, there are also new warlord traits and knightly ranks for the latter"

so who in the 40k would use them other than the imperium, my guess is chaos

#371 ·
That and the "greater good" might appeal to the Knight pilots as an extension from the whole protecting the colonists thing they had going on :)

#376 ·
Necrons and Nids are the only two I see as unlikely to get Knights. Although technically I am thinking Orks would just commandeer the mechs...

Orks - commandeer them
Tau - try to ally with everybody
Space Marines - souped up humans
Imperials - duh...
Chaos Space Marines - pilots abandoned Emperor for Chaos
Daemons - see above

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.