New starter box rumor. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Takizuchi's Flag is: USA

Default New starter box rumor.

So I saw this pop up on my facebook feed and now im kinda hopeful.

Quote:
The birds have been tweeting and we have word of what the next Warhammer 40,000 boxed starter set will look like.

We have already talked a bit about the first half of the year, and now we have word of perhaps the key product of the Q3-4 - An updated Warhammer 40,000 boxed set. Here are the details:
Launch Window - @September
Rules Summary: Updated Mini-rulebook contains FAQs, minor tweaks and clarifications, and much of Stronghold Assault rolled into a new shiny package.
Miniatures included: @70
Armies:
Blood Angels (plastic quick assembly)
- Assault Marine Squad
- Tactical Marine Squad
- Death Company Squad
- Captain (kitted out for assault)
- Chaplain
- Sanguinary Priest (limited edition, similar to the Dark Vengeance mini was)

Orks (plastic quick assembly)
- 'Ardboys (full mob)
- Nobs (small squad)
- Warboss
- Big Mek
- Ork themed fortification

This was described as simply an updated Warhammer 40,000 Starter Set and specifically "NOT 7th Edition."
You will note that September falls right smack in the middle of the rumored release slots for Orks (a couple of months before), and Blood Angels (a couple of months after).

On first glance the "not 7th Edition" makes no sense until you go back and read this. This could certainly be the start of GW rolling the "organic living ruleset" for 40K that does away with edition numbers and the sales dips they cause. Instead we would get updated core products such as rulebooks and starter sets from time to time to "bring them up to speed" with all the most current rules additions that have been rolled out in the intervening years.

This rumor comes from high-confidence sources.
Take salt as needed and discuss.

Some days i swear my dice are trying to get me killed.
Is it bad sportsmanship to cackle evilly during ones game?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 07:55 PM
Rattlehead

If true - cool, BA vs Orks is a pretty cool matchup.

But it's false. Mainly because it's unprecedented, and GW aren't going to collapse supplements into the main rulebook to save you money.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 09:23 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds plausible and sensible.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 09:54 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 10:52 PM

Chitose's Flag is: USA

I've been thinking of getting into orks and eying the Assault on black reach box. If this is true this will save me some money in the long run.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 11:22 PM

I am dying of salt poisoning. i call bullshit, this means that WH40K will have two starter sets

1, the continuence of Dark Vengeance into 7th Edition and

2, now a non-7th Edition starter set of Blood Angels and Orks, which on first look has the Orks at a real disadvantage in points.

Bullshit and salt.

Ultramarines are Pussies

Except Dark Angels, any chapter that sounds like a Death Metal Band can't be that bad.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 12:05 AM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

It may need to be taken with Salt.

But, if the idea that their isn't going to be a 7th edd(see the Link on the first Link), then the idea has quite a bit of merit. And would be a good move by GW.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 08:06 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

problem with rumours like this is they have become harder and harder to dismiss when you consider GWs almost erratic releases in the last 2 years, people (including me) said GW would never release a starter set with chapter specific marine in it, well we know how that turned out, given that they did, it wouldn't be totally out of the question to do it again as the sales for DA and chaos marines will be starting to drop off as they are far from the most current armies, if Orks are coming this year and Blood angels, it would make perfect business sense to move to a new starter set and as sales potential goes Blood angels are far better sellers than DA and Orks will always sell well if they have an upto date codex as they are a very popular army that suffers from getting left at the bottom of the pile to update too often.

That said this would be a totally new direction for GW, but then again they have been doing a lot of new direction stuff lately so you cant rule it out, its just crazy enough to happen, timing makes sense too, september is GWs regular slot for drumming up sales for 40k and the march into autumn/winter period.

the more i contemplate it, the more it makes sense,it costs feck all to produce,it refreshes a core product that introduces people to the game while also being attractive to players who already are playing, gives a massive shot in the arm to two popular armies. Just not sure of the composition of the units, seems unlikely they would put 2 jump pack units in the box and the fortification seems a bit vague and unlikely, scenery takes up some serious sprue space and adds alot of weight (seriously weigh a cities of death box and then weight another 3 sprue kit its three times the weight or more).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 10:50 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
problem with rumours like this is they have become harder and harder to dismiss when you consider GWs almost erratic releases in the last 2 years, people (including me) said GW would never release a starter set with chapter specific marine in it, well we know how that turned out, given that they did, it wouldn't be totally out of the question to do it again as the sales for DA and chaos marines will be starting to drop off as they are far from the most current armies, if Orks are coming this year and Blood angels, it would make perfect business sense to move to a new starter set and as sales potential goes Blood angels are far better sellers than DA and Orks will always sell well if they have an upto date codex as they are a very popular army that suffers from getting left at the bottom of the pile to update too often.
all this and the possible release of all Chaos models from the current box,
while i'm still sceptical - maybe, just maybe

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 10:55 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Also, as in, more than 5 cultists in a box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode