White Dwarf magazine now weekly - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 12:43 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Weekly White Dwarf not being available at Newsstands is a real deal breaker for me. I am not traveling half way across the country to pick one up from a Independent Stockist, nor am I particularly interested in waiting roughly two weeks to receive out of date advertisements by ordering it from their website.

Might pick up Warhammer Visions just to try it out once, but by the sounds of it will just be a glorified picture feast and not much else, which really isn‘t worth it in my view.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 01:07 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Might pick up Warhammer Visions just to try it out once, but by the sounds of it will just be a glorified picture feast and not much else, which really isn‘t worth it in my view.
I remember back in the day, before the internet, people used to get monthly magazines just for the pictures. Although that wasn't anything to do with figures ....

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 01:34 PM

Let us not forget a very important detail: both the new White Dwarf and Warhammer: Visions will be only available in english.

They just murdered their market. I don't foresee anyone I know ever considering buying one ever again. I don't know how my FLGS will manage to use such magazines to keep anyone interested in the hobby; if my club wasn't around I don't even think they'd be able to get people at all. Good for them that they're an independent store I guess, so they don't have to sink with the ship and all.

I seriously have no idea what they're thinking, it's like they're setting themselves up for failure in a desperate attempt to milk their fanbase dry for money until nothing remains. I see no single advantage, quality-wise, in this manoeuvre.

post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 02:03 PM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
The little one also claims it's going to have rules and such in there too.
I have said to my friends for a long time this is the way that WD needs to be implemented. Rather than an Ad magazine it needs to be a rule-tweaking and concept testing ground. I don't mind that most adverts are now front loaded: it's nice to know upcoming releases. However what I don't want is an ad every-other page like a comic book.

I honestly believe they could ramp the price to £5 a shot and do a bi-weekly that covered 40k-Warham rule tweaks and scenario ideas, with adverts for either in both.

However I fear it's going to be inane articles about how rules balance isn't an issue and why taking X character is a good idea in your homebrew campaign where they are survivable just like WD Online currently is.

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 02:41 PM

Garat Jax's Flag is: England

I just got told this on saturday by the nurgling who runs my local GW. According to him the weekly release is going to be about £2:50 - £3 and will be about 50 pages he said it was going to be more focused on up coming releases, events and that sort of thing he did also mention that this could indicate the GW poilcy of new releases at the start of the month. The 250+ page warhammer visions monthly release he said was going to be around £7 and would be focused more on modeling, painting, armies on parade as well as a lot more tactical / game play based articles.
Most interestingly he did point out that he had already been assured that any existing subscriptions to white dwarf would be honoured and the subscriber would be receiving both issues for the remainder of their subscription with no extra charge.
He seemed almost as suprised by that as I was but said he'd been told that three seperate times.

post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 05:02 PM

Asamodai's Flag is: Great Britain

I'm going to spare judgement until Feb 1st and give them both a chance.
post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 06:47 PM

1ale4's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
I remember back in the day, before the internet, people used to get monthly magazines just for the pictures. Although that wasn't anything to do with figures ....
You mean adult magazines?

Though someone find something to do with that pictures
post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 07:46 PM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

Confirmed through my GW facebook page:

Existing subscribers get Visions monthly.

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.
post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 09:04 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

My LGS owner was talking about this last night. White Dwarf is going weekly because the GW product release is going weekly. He was very clear about what he'd been told. "This is designed to get people into the stores more often and buying things more often. Which they say is a good thing for me. And it is."

But he also made it sound like buying every WD was not necessary for every player. So the WD and that week's release may only affect certain armies or even just one of the game systems. But for people who buy a lot, money may get tight, especially if these WD contain new rules. I'm hoping they have hard copies of all those new digital data slats they've been doing. A weekly, 50 page magazine could do 1-2 of those an issue.

My store owner said the best part, at least for him, was that stores would now be able to return unsold copies for reimbursement. GW must be thinking these are going to sell like crazy.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 09:08 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garat Jax View Post
the weekly release is going to be about £2:50 - £3 and will be about 50 pages he said it was going to be more focused on up coming releases, events and that sort of thing

The 250+ page warhammer visions monthly release he said was going to be around £7 and would be focused more on modeling, painting, armies on parade as well as a lot more tactical / game play based articles.
So according to this source, instead of paying £5.50 per month for (what, 250 odd pages? I haven't bought a WD in decades) then we're paying £10-12 for 200 pages. That's crap by itself. Then on to the content:

"More focused on upcoming releases".

How the fuck do you get any MORE focused on releases than WD already?? There's already something on the order of 20 pages+ just to cover the Tyranid boxes in this month. How many pictures do you need of the same damn models that you can see online for the cost of nothing?

"events"

What events? GW has pretty much cancelled any support they've shown to the tournament scene, as well as cancelling Invasion, which was the only semi-regular thing that went on for anyone other than locals at GWHQ. The annual Games Day? In a weekly magazine? The only way this would be even slightly useful would be if they encouraged and supported independant clubs to pop them an email about upcoming tourneys with details of the event - that way we could get a list of tourneys up and down the country that are happening each month, which would increase attendance and therefore hobby uptake and profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garat Jax View Post
The 250+ page warhammer visions monthly release he said was going to be around £7 and would be focused more on modeling, painting, armies on parade as well as a lot more tactical / game play based articles.
£7?? Hah. They'd better be including a free miniature with every damn copy then. For pictures of models that you can find online for free? I... just don't see it. Unless it includes things like full page art spreads you can't find anywhere else, concept art for upcoming releases and original works by third parties (never, ever going to happen).

As for tactics articles, first they would actually need writers who can play the game fucking competitively. Going by every battle report and "tactics" article EVER then no such person exists at GWHQ. Flat.

I'll look at the first copies before making a final judgement, but I don't see any redeeming features to either of these decisions.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode