Nids Are Here - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 02:45 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Can I have your stuff?

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 05:14 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
Well that seals it for me. Since I'm not buying anything Cruddace has had his finger in, I guess I can't buy anything anymore.
Well I hear they don't let Cruddace make the dice, so as long as the game depends on those you should still have a sporting chance.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 09:15 AM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Well that seals it for me. Since I'm not buying anything Cruddace has had his finger in, I guess I can't buy anything anymore.
I absolutely hated Mark Harrisons original bloodletters, the ones that looked like dancing dogs back in 3rd - 4th Ed. I despised his space wolf scouts, they were bloody terrible.

Now some of my favourite models are being sculpted by him, and he does fantastic work in plastic.

Everyone can learn, improve and fix past mistakes. Yes, some of his previous work sucked. I too had to put up with sub-par codeces. However, given the nature of gamers and the internet, don't you think he's had plenty of incentive to learn from his team-mates like Phil, and maybe improve? There have been substancial changes in Games Dev, don't you think those might have had an impact, like the whole team having a hand in pretty much every book? I do hate it when people see a few bad initial works, and assume they will be shit forever. I was a crap painter once...

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 10:03 AM

tu_shan82's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
I absolutely hated Mark Harrisons original bloodletters, the ones that looked like dancing dogs back in 3rd - 4th Ed. I despised his space wolf scouts, they were bloody terrible.

Now some of my favourite models are being sculpted by him, and he does fantastic work in plastic.

Everyone can learn, improve and fix past mistakes. Yes, some of his previous work sucked. I too had to put up with sub-par codeces. However, given the nature of gamers and the internet, don't you think he's had plenty of incentive to learn from his team-mates like Phil, and maybe improve? There have been substancial changes in Games Dev, don't you think those might have had an impact, like the whole team having a hand in pretty much every book? I do hate it when people see a few bad initial works, and assume they will be shit forever. I was a crap painter once...
Besides, nothing Crudace has done will ever come close to Necrons now have individual personalities instead of being soulless automatons, or making it so that all Space Marines, even those with their own Primarchs, histories, traditions and tactical dogma, aspire to be Ultramarines. I won't name names, I don't think I have to. When I read that I felt like puking, there's no way my Salamanders would ever want to be Ultramareines, and my Dark Angels are probably against the idea even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 01:33 PM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu_shan82 View Post
Besides, nothing Crudace has done will ever come close to Necrons now have individual personalities instead of being soulless automatons, or making it so that all Space Marines, even those with their own Primarchs, histories, traditions and tactical dogma, aspire to be Ultramarines. I won't name names, I don't think I have to. When I read that I felt like puking, there's no way my Salamanders would ever want to be Ultramareines, and my Dark Angels are probably against the idea even more.
Hey, if you don't like the new codexes just keep using the old ones.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 02:49 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post

He's not a crap writer. Some things seem at least a little creative from him. But his blatant disregard for balance. My god. He managed to write both the worst (Nids) and the most overpowered (Guard) codex in just one year of releases. That kind of inconsistency takes a long time to iron out. And sure, some day I could forgive, but it is still way too fresh in memory and the stink still lingers.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 03:19 PM

Quote:
He's not a crap writer. Some things seem at least a little creative from him. But his blatant disregard for balance. My god. He managed to write both the worst (Nids) and the most overpowered (Guard) codex in just one year of releases. That kind of inconsistency takes a long time to iron out. And sure, some day I could forgive, but it is still way too fresh in memory and the stink still lingers.
Consistency is a problem for more than one writer.

Phil Kell - Gave us Eldar (OP!!!!), Chaos Marines (SUCKS!!!!) and Demons (Sucks but now OP?)
Jeremy Vetock gave us Tau (OP!!!) and Dark Angels (SUCKS!!!!)

The only consistent writer was Mat Ward - who's books consistently rose in power. BA.GK.Necrons.

I hope the Nid dex is good. I don't see them on the table often enough.

Edit:OP/Sucks rating system is entirely bollocks and listed like that as thats the way I've seen people respond to previous codex's.
All we can do is sod game balance, enjoy the game for what it is and hope when the next 'dex comes out for one of my armies, it'll put me on top of the heap for a bit...

Last edited by Gret79; 01-08-14 at 03:24 PM.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu_shan82
making it so that all Space Marines, even those with their own Primarchs, histories, traditions and tactical dogma, aspire to be Ultramarines. I won't name names, I don't think I have to. When I read that I felt like puking, there's no way my Salamanders would ever want to be Ultramareines, and my Dark Angels are probably against the idea even more.
Can people stop parroting this bullcrap?

That's not what the 5th Edition Codex, lol. It says they aspire to the teachings of the Codex Astartes. Which, while a bit oddly worded, is true. The Dark Angels are a Codex Chapter. Always have been. Blood Angels. Codex Chapter. Always have been. That section of CSM:5E is just about Codex Chapaters that aren't Ultramarines successors.

Why do people get all butthurt about it? The reality is that being a Codex Chapter is a good thing. Graham McNeill's awful novels aside, the Codex is what makes Space Marines so awesome. It's the catch-all book on how to be a Space Marine and fight wars. Again, I know idiots like Graham McNeill took this to mean it had "If A, Then B" instructions on how to fight battles, but that's not how it was ever written before. Guys like Marneus Calgar are supposed to be the greatest tacticians the galaxy has ever seen (Calgar was one of only 2 SCs in 2nd Edition with a Strategy Rating of 6). Doesn't really make sense if you can just read the book and be a better general by knowing what the other guy is going to do, lol.

The funnier part about all the Ward-hate for CSM:5E is that most of the fluff in that book is copy/pasted from earlier editions of Codex: Space Marines (most of it right out of 2nd Edition's Codex: Ultramarines by Rick Priestley. You might know him as one of the guys who created the game). Now, I can't speak on the Ward Hate over the Blood Angels/Necrons Bro Fist, and I agree the Newcron Codex is one of the worst fluff abombinations in the history of 40K. But the Codex: Space Marines stuff is ridicustupid.

If Marneus Calgar is supposed to be "one of the Imperium's greatest tacticians" and he treats the Codex like it's the War Bible, but the Codex is garbage, then how bad is everyone else?

True Scale Space Marines: An odyssey in posing, tall scaling and other madness.

The Brief and Humorous History of the Horus Heresy
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-14, 05:08 PM

Quote:
He managed to write both the worst (Nids) and the most overpowered (Guard) codex in just one year of releases.
Nids were not just bad, they were actively made worse than their previous iteration, which is the most insulting part.

As for Guard, it was overpowered in mech edition, but 6e's vehicle nerf actually hurt them a lot. But yes, the point still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret79 View Post
Consistency is a problem for more than one writer.

Phil Kell - Gave us Eldar (OP!!!!), Chaos Marines (SUCKS!!!!) and Demons (Sucks but now OP?)
Jeremy Vetock gave us Tau (OP!!!) and Dark Angels (SUCKS!!!!)

The only consistent writer was Mat Ward - who's books consistently rose in power. BA.GK.Necrons.

I hope the Nid dex is good. I don't see them on the table often enough.
I have yet to play against nids, but yes, consistency is a huge problem, mostly because I don't think the writers actually understand their own edition's ruleset. Chaos is especially glaring on that part, with strong CC units being overpriced to the point that even if they actually manage to assault they're still shit since you wasted so many points on them they don't have the numbers to make it count enough. Just look at Berzerkers and Possessed, or hell try and play Warp talons if you really want to make your opponent win.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-10-14, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode