Warhammer 40k 7th Edition coming 2014?!?! - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 06:00 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

I'll laugh as those plasma pistols get hot and kill your sergeants. Then I'll cry because my Aspiring Champion didn't get to roll on the boon table and turn into a Spawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 11:05 PM

Soul_Of_Iron's Flag is: USA

Im pretty sure they're just consolidating the expansions and streamlining the rules a bit... And simply labeling it 7th edition... It'd be pretty ridiculous of GW to do and entirely updated set of rules such a short time after the release of 6th ed. I'm hoping they make it worth the $$...

"In battle, if a man is to survive, must desire life like water, yet drink death like wine." -G.K Chesterton
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 11:58 AM
nevynxxx's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Of_Iron View Post
Im pretty sure they're just consolidating the expansions and streamlining the rules a bit... And simply labeling it 7th edition... It'd be pretty ridiculous of GW to do and entirely updated set of rules such a short time after the release of 6th ed. I'm hoping they make it worth the $$...
Even if they kept the 6th label on it, I'd actually be interested in that as I just have the rulebook from DV, getting a streamlined "contains errata, plus expansion" book would actually justify the cost of the book for me. BUT as posted above, keeping the expansions separate makes them more money than rolling them in would, which makes rolling them together a bad business decision.

post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 12:18 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
The main rulebooks are finished at least 9 months before release. White Dwarf is submitted 3 months in advance of each WD release, and is worked on for a month before that. The Studio rarely does anything spontaneously. It simply isn't possible. 40K 7th will have had ideas being thrown around for months already, whilst work on fantasy happened. It's already being drafted and prodded, and the last three codex releases before the next main rulebook release are written solely with the next rulebook in mind. For 6th, it was from Grey Knights onwards. People just don't seem to grasp how far ahead of release the Studio works - it's really hard at Games Days to try and remember what hasn't been released yet, and how you painted something that - whilst only just released - you painted over a year ago...
With the current release speed of codexes I would be surprised if there was a need to have the 3 codex buffer. We should have most if not all codexes replaced well in advance of the next probable release. Unless of course GW shorten the 7th edition release cycle.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 01:52 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

They aren't writing the codeces any quicker. The periods for production are still the same. The books are still written with months to spare - they just have more people writing them. Tyranids will still havee been finished 6 months ago, with saturdays WD having been written 3 months ago.

So any codeces released in the period between 9-12 months before the release of a new edition will still have been written with the future release in mind...

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 04:11 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
We should have most if not all codexes replaced well in advance of the next probable release.
I really, really hope you're right. This 2-editions-behind nonsense must end before a new release. Update the rules, reprint some books, whatever. Just update the older armies! Noooow! *infant squeal*

Quote:
They aren't writing the codeces any quicker. The periods for production are still the same. The books are still written with months to spare - they just have more people writing them. Tyranids will still havee been finished 6 months ago, with saturdays WD having been written 3 months ago.

So any codeces released in the period between 9-12 months before the release of a new edition will still have been written with the future release in mind...
That's a good point that I just glossed right over at first. If that's the case, I guess a simultaneous release would be fine. Of course they aren't gonna release new books that will be instantly outdated. Either way, bring on the changes. I wanna see Orks become the new Tau in terms of cheese. They deserve it.

Last edited by venomlust; 01-02-14 at 04:14 PM.
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Apathetic Megalomaniac

Geist's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
Even if they kept the 6th label on it, I'd actually be interested in that as I just have the rulebook from DV, getting a streamlined "contains errata, plus expansion" book would actually justify the cost of the book for me. BUT as posted above, keeping the expansions separate makes them more money than rolling them in would, which makes rolling them together a bad business decision.
Not necessarily. Consider that the most sales for the expansion books will be when they are first released, then after that sales will slow down considerably. If they want to make more money, just package those books into a new book that is basically the same thing only in one book, and you can release that and make just as much money as you did when the expansions were released, except you're releasing basically the same thing twice. Making twice as much for the effort of writing the expansions once.

And if 7th edition is basically errata and expansions in a single book, then maybe they want to allow the people who have already bought 6th edition to be able to keep using their book, so they keep selling the expansions separately.

Doesn't seem to bad of a business decision now.

post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 05:33 PM
nevynxxx's Flag is: United Kingdom

That's a good point geist
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Yeah, from what I gathered was they had about 20% more people on the design staff in FY13. Time will tell if those extra bodies get retained in the long run, but it's definitely not about a compressed product timeline. It's just about more products being worked on at any given time.

Given the volume that GW ships, they still need months to make sure they have printed enough stock, casted enough models, packaging, etc. There's a ton of work that goes into a new product release, especially if it is combined with loads of new models.

My only big hope for Orks is that they go back to being shooty like they were in 2nd Edition. Close-combat Ork armies were a byproduct of 3rd Edition's heavy bias towards melee resolution and faster movement. I'd love to see them get bumped back up to BS3 (with the appropriate points increase) and a lot of what made old school Ork armies awesome come back.

If Marneus Calgar is supposed to be "one of the Imperium's greatest tacticians" and he treats the Codex like it's the War Bible, but the Codex is garbage, then how bad is everyone else?

True Scale Space Marines: An odyssey in posing, tall scaling and other madness.

The Brief and Humorous History of the Horus Heresy
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 12:28 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran Sergeant View Post
Yeah, from what I gathered was they had about 20% more people on the design staff in FY13. Time will tell if those extra bodies get retained in the long run, but it's definitely not about a compressed product timeline. It's just about more products being worked on at any given time.
Getting more codex/armybook writers & designers has been a long term plan that has gone tits up before due to a lot of experienced people leaving just as the plan was going into effect

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode