Imperial Guard Rumored Release
Predicted Release: March 2014
- ‘Mission Objectives’ are potentially a new special rule for the Imperial Guard, although my channels are a little dry on this front, one can only begin to imagine what they do. I heard on the grapevine, that this special rule would allow even sergeants, to order ‘minor orders’ to their own unit. 
- Codex Imperial Guard launches in March 2014 
- -Look for many refreshes in the codex rules. 
- -Expanded command system with the return of Doctrines 
- Possible: IG Regiment Doctrines: Each Regiment (Cadian, Catachan, etc...)has doctrines, similar to SM Chapter tactics. Examples listed were: 
- -Cadians - may issue 2 orders to a unit 
- -Catachans - Move-thru-cover, and Jungle Fighter (???) 
- Headquarters units have seen a massive shake up. Above the whole organisation, some units have been deleted, others modified. You start by buying a command squad, this is then changed by swapping the officer for a commissar, if one wishes too. The three present advisors have been retained, with the addition of the Primaris Psyker as a command squad advisor. 
- Ministorum Priests are back in the same manner as before, this time though it has been rumoured they increase the ranged output of the unit, as well combat potential. Maybe in the form of the ‘preferred enemy’ special rule, who knows? 
- Priests must join a squad and won’t take HQ slots. 
- The mighty (or not so mighty Enginseer) has stayed relatively the same, except for the transition from HQ to either Elite or Heavy Support. But what excites me the most, are their roles on the field of battle. Apparently they will act much like Royal Courts in the Necron army, bought with certain upgrades, then attached out to other units, to confer certain benefits to that unit. 
- Moving on from the veteran weapon squads re-boxing, it is believed that they will be changing their position on the battlefield. With smaller squad sizes, veterans seem to be taking a fire support role, that focuses on battlefield specialisation. 
- Veterans, get some lose some“. Size 5-10, can take 1 heavy wepaon or 1 special weapon per 5 soldiers. Bastogne is gone but every Veteran Sarge can give orders now. Can still take shotguns and get option to take pistol & CCW. New Veteran ability allows charging out of transport. 
- Special Weapon and Heavy Weapon Squads are now 10 men each. 
- Salamander is in as transport for CCS/PCS, open-topped Chimera with Autocannon, transports 6. 
- Vendetta and Valkyrie gunship’ will more than likely be streamlined into one unit. Also it is believed that the squadron option will be lost, and an increase in points to balance out the power of Vendetta and Valkyrie gunship’ in sixth edition. 
- Vendetta is gone, instead Valkyries can take the Vendettas-loadout for +45 points. 
- Only one entry for Sentinels, no armor upgrade, closed cabin has no game effect but is just cosmetical. 
- Only Cadian named characters in this [playtesting] document. 
- New centerpiece kit is a Horus Heresy era tank. 
- Formerly Forge World dominated vehicles will take a tour in the Imperial Guard codex. This means we could see such units as the Forge World Destroyer Tank Hunter as part of the upcoming codex. Although one finds it extremely unlikely they will receive a new plastic kit. 
- Thunderer/Destroyer is in, Thunderer is a cheap Demolisher with nothing but a hull-mounted Demolisher cannon. Destroyer is a dedicated tank hunter with a laser-lance weapon. Have a, hull-down“ rule that makes them extremely hard to kill if in cover, seem to be area-control units. 
- Salt-mine: Imperial Robots - 2 new robots, requiring an Admech handler/enginseer. 
- Salt-mine: Knight Paladin - Taller than riptide, not as tall as Wraithknight. Vanquisher cannon and Uber-chainsword are standard load out. May upgrade to Punisher Cannon, Uber-Fist with Inferno Flamers.
- In terms of repacking, it is believed that special weapon squads will receive their own box set. This is also rumoured to be extended to veteran squads and heavy weapon teams. Coming in boxes of five models, with a wide variety of special equipment. 
- The missing IG tanks will be released: Griffon/Collosus/Medusa artillery kit. 
- Stormtroopers released 
- Veterans released 
- -These two infantry kits include many, many optional bits to build command squads and even penal troops. 
- Heavy Weapon Squad will be repacked to include one sprue of standard Cadian infantry. 
- Special Weapon Squads might get their own box with a new special weapon sprue (which is also used for Veteran box). 
- Probable: Roughriders (new plastic box) 
- The Imperial Guard gets both Steel Legion and Mordians in Plastic with the New Codex. 
via StrykerSniper on Warseer
I'm praying for stormtroopers, real ones, as a second troop choice. I did have a tiny look behind the iron curtain of GWs privacy policies, and I was able to see some mockups of the new veterans/stormtrooper boxed set, and it would be an amazing kit to build warbands or stormtrooper squads. Also I saw a model that appeared to be an Inquisitor, and was wearing a long cloak and armor.
I could see GW allowing stormtroopers as a troop choice to induce additional sales of the new kit, which, frankly, floored me. The details were great, with kasrkin style armor, and all sorts of weapons including hellguns, sniper rifles, special weapons, a cool missile launcher, a bunch of sergeant options, bolters, and lots of shotguns that managed to not look like scout shotguns. Also, the bolters did not look like marine shotuns, they were a little more human sized.
Some of the poses were also amazingly dynamic. Some were stoic standing poses, while a couple were very John Woo! There were also a lot of extra bits, poches, packs, grenades, knives, some scanner like equipment, and what appeared to be night vision goggles. If i were a puppy, I would've piddled on the rug, and it was a supreme act of will not to grab the models and run for the door. Apparently, they have also been ready for some time. Please dear God, let these see the light of my hobby store soon and I will have at least 5 boxes! This might even revitalize my Guard army.
Oh, and there were a bunch of heads! respirator heads, heads with berets, bald heads, heads with mohawks and crew cuts. Most were scarred, and one had an eyepatch, while another had a disfigured eye with what looked like claw marks, one head was smoking a stogie, and there were two heads with berets. There was even a knife that looked like a trench knife with raised knuckle dusters. There were scopes, a hand radio, and a bunch of bits for the bases including plants, a snake, and some ammo cans and satchel charges. There was even a hand holding an entrenching tool (shovel to you non-military types). There were a few holstered pistols, and as a delightful surprise, there were also autoguns in addition to lasguns, and there were bits for pistol and close combat weapon troops, although few were chainblades. There was a demo charge, melta bombs, and camo cloaks.
I was very, very impressed. The attention to detail was phenomenal. If you have any questions, ask them quick, before I am "sanctioned" by the inquisition. What is that sound outside the window.......?
via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
I have some infos for you about the recent Stormtrooper sighting:
A lot of the bits described (respirators, plants, NVGs, some of the heads, some of the CC weapons, etc) were actually looted from other plastic kits (Command Squad and the like) and won't be on the sprue for the new box. They were used to create some kit-bash conversions to show what can be done with the new set and a bit box.
The described "Inquisitor" with a greatcoat over carapace armor is an option for the Sergeant for people who want to build their miniatures "Arbites-Style". Arbites won't be an option in codex, but you'll still be able to get Veterans in carapace with combat shotguns yelling "I AM THE LAW!".
All in all the new set is supposed to be more like modern "Hollywood"-SpecOps (think The Expendables).
With Nids closing in fast we can still expect IG in Q1 2014
1: Noel at Wargamer: 31OCT13
2: Larry Vela on BoLS: 31OCT13
3: Anonymous(via alleged Playtesting Document) on Faeit 212: 02SEP13
4: Larry Vela on BoLS(Ranking System: Probable Rumors, Possible Rumors, The Salt-mine): 20SEP13
5: via Tim from the Faeit 212 inbox: 24NOV13